Help me spend my money! Kimber vs Christensen

As for glass, I was trying to decide between NXS 2.5-10x42, NX8 2.5-20x50 FFP, Swarovski z5 3.5-18, or Zeiss v6 3-18x50
I considered a razor LHT 3-15, but I’m not sure it’s in the same league as the others. On the flip side, I work at a large outdoor retailer and I can get the razor at next to nothing, vs 1k plus for the other options. I can get NF or zeiss at a discount, Swarovski I’d be paying full price.
The 2.5-10 NXS is a really nice optic with a really good track record, don’t think you can go wrong if you like any of the reticles… I was planning on going to mils on everything, but I liked the moar reticle the best, so that’s what I went with

As for rifles, I would be nervous about the ridge line being that cheap… there is only one reason I can think of that would have it priced that cheap given their history of making nice rifles, but with more culls than most other firearm companies

I like the kimber hunter, I had one and it was a great shooting rifle, soft shooting rifle, and just impressive for the price, if you plan on leaving the rifle stock, I think they are solid for the price.

I’m surprised tikka isn’t on your list, but you should certainly get something you like, and many think tikkas are ugly, and I won’t argue that, but they are also great rifles for the money

I was really curious about the new trijicon scopes, I wanna say something from the credo line. I didn’t really wanna buy without looking through one first but unfortunately they’re not sold in store anywhere near me. Any reports on the durability/tracking/zero hold? Being a trijicon I would expect it to be a solid scope, but is it NF solid?
Might be some interesting reads for you in here:

The tenmile is one of the few scopes to pass the drop test. Credo’s is still in process.

I have several nightforce and this is my first tenmile after have owned a 1-8 credo hx. Just comparing the tenmile side by side next to my NX8 and NXS, I would say the glass is better than the NXS and maybe even better than the nx8. I am taking it to alaska after moose next month, I am counting on it being tough.

D7769FA8-E2F3-4A0C-B86D-E56DE635D32C.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
B
Unless someone talks me out of it, I’m thinking I’ll eat a razor lht for basically free, and run it until I get something more permanent. I figure if nothing else, I can see what I do or don’t like in a scope for the particular rifle. Then when the time comes for a glass upgrade, I’ll ball out on something and either keep the razor as a spare or try and sell it. As of now my only reason to not get a razor would be if y’all think I’d be better off putting my vortex points towards a spotting scope or nicer Binos

BjornF16

WKR
Between your stated options: Kimber.

Brush gun optics - 1-8x28 Credo

Personally I’d gamble on plain Jane (Honda Accord) Tikka…

…and if you want one and done, then Blaser R8 (rifle is about 4” shorter than others with equivalent length barrels and probably fastest cycling action); but it’s pricey.

Lawnboi

WKR
A kia that shoots bugholes with factory ammo 🤷🏻‍♂️. Between myself and my buddies we own over a dozen CA’s. All have shot sub moa. All of mine shoot 1/2 or better. I think they are a great rifle.

View attachment 439840
I’m not saying they don’t I occasionally pump out a solid barrel. They have a hell of a marketing team though. Been down the CA road, and won’t be going back.

I think I could deal with the right kimber again though.

Oh and 3 rounds ain’t a group

OP
B
Honestly couldn’t tell you why I’m not interested in tikka, I sell people on them every day and I mean what I say. They’re awesome shooters and really hard to beat for the price they ask. On paper the tikka should be an easy choice but it just isn’t very exciting I guess.

For the past year, I had been set on a hunter pro. It only comes in 308,6.5, and 280 and as much as a would love a 280, not being a reloaded kind of takes that one out of the running for now. What finally pushed me to make an account and post was the Ridgeline coming in the store for the price we got it for. I don’t necessarily think it’s priced lower because of anything other than the guy took the first offer given, and we priced it accordingly based on our cost. I realize there are probably better options than these two, but after I drop 1500+ on glass, I was hoping to stay around 1000 for the gun. That’s where kimber comes in, ultralight deer gun under 1k….I wouldn’t even say there’s really even competition at that price point. Yes the tikkas are awesome, but quite a bit more weight as well.

Do any of y’all have issues with only a two position safety/non locking bolt? One of my big hold offs on the Christensen, but as someone whose never really big game hunted with a bolt, maybe it’s not as big a shortcoming as I imagine.

Ive sent plenty of sub 1/2 moa rifles down the road.....you can't use more than 1 at a time. Id rather go on an awesome adventure every few years than have several $3K rifle setups sitting in the safe collecting dust.
How often have you read on gun forums of someone sending a dud "down the road?" Hell, people brag about it regularly in online discussions.

OP
B
Between your stated options: Kimber.

Brush gun optics - 1-8x28 Credo

Personally I’d gamble on plain Jane (Honda Accord) Tikka…

…and if you want one and done, then Blaser R8 (rifle is about 4” shorter than others with equivalent length barrels and probably fastest cycling action); but it’s pricey.
Would you care to explain why you chose the kimber? I currently have a razor 1-6 on an AR and I’ve kicked around the idea of putting that on for hunting around here,but I’m wanting to buy a scope for out west

OP
B
Now that I’m thinking about it, considering the caliber options of the Ridgeline, do y’all think it would be worth paying retail to get it in a magnum? Then again, if I’m going up to $2000, I’d probably be more inclined to save a little more and get an fft titanium or something. Is 1300 as good a deal as I think it is?

I’m not saying they don’t I occasionally pump out a solid barrel. They have a hell of a marketing team though. Been down the CA road, and won’t be going back.

I think I could deal with the right kimber again though.

Oh and 3 rounds ain’t a group
It is when ammo is $5/round. Lol. Like I said, I have shot over a dozen. All are tack drivers.

Now that I’m thinking about it, considering the caliber options of the Ridgeline, do y’all think it would be worth paying retail to get it in a magnum? Then again, if I’m going up to $2000, I’d probably be more inclined to save a little more and get an fft titanium or something. Is 1300 as good a deal as I think it is?
Yes. There will be guys selling their FFT stocks when they get bored of them and you can always pick one up in the classifieds down the road for a few hundred dollars and still be way ahead. If you are going to pass on that ridgeline for $1300, PM me, I’ll take it.

I also am of the opinion magnums are super over rated and necessary. I went down the magnum road with 300 rums and 7mm mags and have owned all the short mags, 325, 300, 7mm etc. largest cartridges I own right now are 280AI and 6.5 PRC. Bullet selection is more important than cartridge and the amount of powder behind the bullet.

OP
B
Yes. There will be guys selling their FFT stocks when they get bored of them and you can always pick one up in the classifieds down the road for a few hundred dollars and still be way ahead. If you are going to pass on that ridgeline for $1300, PM me, I’ll take it.

I also am of the opinion magnums are super over rated and necessary. I went down the magnum road with 300 rums and 7mm mags and have owned all the short mags, 325, 300, 7mm etc. largest cartridges I own right now are 280AI and 6.5 PRC. Bullet selection is more important than cartridge and the amount of powder behind the bullet.
Are you a reloader? If you had to chose between 280 and 6.5 per which would you pick?

Super tag

WKR
Between my sons and I we’ve owned half a dozen Christensen rifles, from the classics to my current Traverse in 7mm Rem Mag, we‘ve had nothing but good from CA rifles. they have all shot very well without any issues.

Last edited:
I
Are you a reloader? If you had to chose between 280 and 6.5 per which would you pick?
i have all the reloading stuff, but I don’t enjoy the process, so avoid it whenever I can. Flip a coin, I love them both. Factory ammo nod will go to the PRC, but you can buy highend 280 AI loads from little ammo shops like unknown munitions. My PRC os set up for long range hunting, the 280AI as an UL mountain rifle.

BjornF16

WKR
Would you care to explain why you chose the kimber?
I've owned a Kimber MA and with some little tuning of the magazine and recoil lug bedding, it was great.

I'd own a Kimber (pseudo CRF) before another R700 clone.

I'd own a Tikka/Sako action before another Kimber.

Just my $0.02