Help me understand Binocular Harness Pouch setups

BBob

WKR
Not a knock on binocular harness pouch systems (though I might tease a bit) but I've never fully understood the why. I can understand wanting the protection but after near 40 years of top quality and very expensive binoculars around my neck I'm not seeing the purpose of these things. None of my binoculars have ever suffered any permanent damage for being in the elements. If they get dirty I clean them, over and done. I watch people pull binoculars in and out of the case and it's not as simple or fast as grabbing them off my chest or letting them go when done and some of them weigh a fair amount. Only one in my closer circle uses one so maybe the rest of us are all old stick in the mud's. Who came up with it and why did you choose to use one? How many are like me and just stay with a simple strap or basic harness with no pouch?

Tried the old school type and hated it. Binoculars bumped into crap every time I bent over. Material sags over time. Did not lend itself well at all to glassing with a tripod. Had to run something else to hold my range finder, cleaning supplies, etc.

Also depends on when and where you hunt. Some vegetation is thick and a covered harness does offer more protection and less snags. Easily addresses the shortcomings listed in the previous paragraph.

I will never go back to the old school design as it offers me limited benefits over a covered harness.

But we have options so run whatever works best for you.

Wrench

WKR
I love the agc for gun hunts. I have bino, rf, tools, lighter, wind checker and anometer handy. I have killed countless critters using the pouch under my rifle stock or forend over the years. I kept my favorite pair of binos nice with jist butler creek covers on the objective lenses....but the agc is less about glass care and more about my last resort kit.

For bow hunting....i go naked.

rideold

WKR
I find the chest pack more comfortable in the long run and I like having the couple of extra pockets for diaphragm calls and wind checker. The front pocket for my range finder is pretty handy. For me the best part is everything I use on a regular basis is all together and I just grab the chest pack and go.

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
Binos swing all over the place when hiking with a single strap. A strap harness is better, but they still move around. I run one for stability only, the extra protection is just an added benefit. The ability to carry other small frequently used items is another nice bonus.

pk_

WKR
Belly crawling thru rocks. I didn’t wear my harness because it was 114° and I thought it was too hot so I just wore one of those back suspension type that hold the binocs on the chest. Thankfully they were replaced under warranty.

5B65C7B1-B3EE-4553-B9D2-0DD6F3B0E3A5.jpeg

CJF

WKR
I have my calls, wind checker, phone, tags, and range finder neatly tucked away in mine. Plus it keeps everything close to my chest with no floppage (yes thats a word)...think of it like a sports bra for your binos

Drenalin

WKR
I don't dislike bino harnesses, but I do prefer the simplicity of the Rick Young harness. I've had several AGCs and the OV, still prefer the RYO.

Rock-o

WKR
For me physical protection is a small, unthought of bonus. Primarily it's for stability. My access is essentially as easy as my binocular hanging loose by only a strap around my neck since 1) I don't have to close the lid and 2) the lid operates with one hand. But wait, there's more! Storage - convenient storage! Cleaning? I don't really need to clean my binoculars since they're typically enclosed.

Antares

WKR
I do so much bushwhacking (so so much), I can't imagine not having my binos protected. Somehow I still manage to fill enclosed cases with twigs and leaves.

I run a marsupial system for my swaro els and leica crf rangefinder.
Optics are a must have for all my hunting..
I like the organization of my optics and accessories the system provides. All I have to do it grab the harness and everything is is right where I want it when I need it. And it is never not where I want when I need it.
I like the protection the system provides my optics investment. Descending tree steps from stands and belly crawling would have destroyed my optics several times over.
I was on a spring turkey hunt a few years ago and did a failed stalk on a gobbler in a muddy plowed field. I was covered in mud but my swarovskis were spared the mud by the marsupial. A guy asked me what I had in the chest rig. When I pulled out the els he about shit himself right there. He said I must really trust my marsupial rig....I told him I don't hunt without it and have complete confidence in it protecting my optics.

Matt G.

WKR
I have the AGC harness but was only using out west. Last year during the rut I was using the typical whitetail with bungee system. Chasing Ruthven buck and doe up steep grade in snow, slipped and bashed the objectives into snow. Luckily as far as I can tell minimal damage to objective, after that went to harness for all.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
I have my calls, wind checker, phone, tags, and range finder neatly tucked away in mine. Plus it keeps everything close to my chest with no floppage (yes thats a word)...think of it like a sports bra for your binos

Yup. If I grab my harness I know I have all the basics. That and some water and I am gtg.

OP
B

BBob

WKR
Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it. I've been using the basic RYO harness for a couple of years so I get the idea of keeping the binoculars from flopping around.

Jumped off a horse once to try to get a shot at a black bear. I didn’t have a pouch on, only a harness. My binos got caught on the saddle horn momentarily, when they became free they slingshotted right into my mouth. I made the same mistake the same day but the next time it was my nose. I got my ass kicked by a pair of binos, that’s why I wear one.