Help me understand late October mule deer travel

TauPhi111

WKR
I am planning a Utah mule deer hunt for the general rifle season this fall that will also be my brother's first hunt ever. The season is in mid to late October, and one of the biggest questions I am facing when trying to decide on a unit is where the mule deer will be in their migration to winter grounds at that time. The answer to that question will decide whether I pick a unit with more higher elevation national forest land, or more lower elevation BLM land. This being my brother's first hunt, there is a lot riding on us at least seeing animals, so I'm trying to make the best informed decision possible.

Can anyone break down where mule deer generally are during that time of the year in their migration?

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
Majority of utah units the deer wont have started their actual migration but will have moved into thicker cover (which is typically lower in elevation) in response to pressure from other hunts.

Is there usually snow at the higher elevations by that time?

Is there usually snow at the higher elevations by that time?

Yes, some snow at higher elevations. Can be enough to move some animals down but normally not a full-on migration. There are some units that are known for early migrations based on various factors. This is a good bio question.

jjchad

WKR
In my neck of the woods in Southern Utah, deer will have started to move from pressure from previous hunts. Depends year to year though, hunting pressure, weather, rainfall all play into it. I know people that hunt high and low and both do well. I personally hunt mid to low that time of year.

I’ve hunted the San Juan abajo mountain for a really long time . I have been going out there sense I was 5 now I’m 28 I still go and enjoy the beautiful mountain. Hunting there is a fair chase. There you have opinions of high country hunting and sage flat hunting great place. Good luck man

Jfasher

Lil-Rokslider
That's a hard time to hunt them. When you find does go higher and in thicker cover. They won't have velvet anymore so they won't be out in the open as much. They still have to eat and drink so look in those areas.

RazzleDazzle

Lil-Rokslider
Did the OP decide on an elevation?? Deer can be anywhere at that time. Not much advice but pick a spot you like and go hunt the way you hunt. There will be deer there.

KineKilla

WKR
Pray for snow and lots of it! When I was younger it seems like it always snowed during or before the GS deer hunt. A skiff of snow won't do anything for deer movement but deep snow will push them down in search of food. If you are lucky enough to have deep snow up high, I like to hunt the snow line.

Also, use the other hunters to help determine your hunting spots...look for road access and popular trail heads, plan on other hunters flocking to those areas. Think to yourself: "If I were a deer and saw all these clowns dressed in Orange coming my way, where am I going to run to get away from them?"