Help me understand muzzle brakes

aorams

Lil-Rokslider
Hi Forum!

I shoot two Sako Finnlights. One in 308 win and one in 300 win mag. Both shoot well, but the 308 win is very light and has a lot of muzzle jump. At the range the other day I shot someone’s Finnlight in 300 Win Mag that had a big brake with three oval side ports on either side. I also had the opportunity to shoot a weatherby backcountry in 280 AI that had circular ports all over. It was my first time shooting braked guns. I realize the 300 Win Mag is a bigger gun but the muzzle blast from the brake while sitting behind the gun was more obnoxious in my opinion that the recoil of my own unbraked gun. The weatherby on the other hand had a much different feel. It was loud yes, but none of the muzzle blast. I’m thinking seriously about braking the 308 win but am hoping someone can school me on my these brakes acted so differently.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi Forum!

I shoot two Sako Finnlights. One in 308 win and one in 300 win mag. Both shoot well, but the 308 win is very light and has a lot of muzzle jump. At the range the other day I shot someone’s Finnlight in 300 Win Mag that had a big brake with three oval side ports on either side. I also had the opportunity to shoot a weatherby backcountry in 280 AI that had circular ports all over. It was my first time shooting braked guns. I realize the 300 Win Mag is a bigger gun but the muzzle blast from the brake while sitting behind the gun was more obnoxious in my opinion that the recoil of my own unbraked gun. The weatherby on the othIer hand had a much different feel. It was loud yes, but none of the muzzle blast. I’m thinking seriously about braking the 308 win but am hoping someone can school me on my these brakes acted so differently.
Thank you!
Radial brakes generally don't angle back towards the shooter so there's less concussion.
Side port brakes are usually angled back which makes them more effective, the down side as you experienced is more blast.
Both styles are absolutely deafening without ear pro.
I ran braked hunting rifles for a few years and took a quick shot once without plugs, my head and ears hurt like hell for 24 hrs.
I've since moved to suppressors and I'll never go back

Superdoo

WKR
I absolutely love this thing!