Help me understand Supressors

As dB's are on a logarithmic scale, a 30 dB difference is quite significant. That's the difference between a jet engine and a chain saw. Beside it preventing some hearing damage, it makes shooting a lot more enjoyable. It also decreases recoil a noticeable amount; not as much as a brake, but a brake makes for an even louder noise than no muzzle device.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
As dB's are on a logarithmic scale, a 30 dB difference is quite significant. That's the difference between a jet engine and a chain saw. Beside it preventing some hearing damage, it makes shooting a lot more enjoyable. It also decreases recoil a noticeable amount; not as much as a brake, but a brake makes for an even louder noise than no muzzle device.
I think I need to find someone in my area that has one. I have wanted one for a long time for the cool factor. I know dumb. But, now I am really debating getting one and could care less about the cool factor. Now I want benefits. Thank you for giving me some benefits. I currently shoot with a brake but like you said. It will blow my ears without plugs, even when hunting.

B23

WKR
Like anything there is pros and cons to them. The biggest cons are the extra weight and length they add to your overall setup and we certainly can't forget about the cost because any good centerfire suppressor is around a grand + $200 for the stamp. For me, those are pretty much the only downside/s.

The pros, considerably less muzzle blast and depending on the cartridge you're using it on, the length of barrel, and the quality of the suppressor, often it puts you in a noise range that is hearing safe without ear protection which is nice. Also, as was already mentioned good quality suppressors do a pretty decent job of taming down recoil as well.

It's not often you hear of someone complain about how buying a suppressor was a big waste of time and money. Generally it's just the opposite and guys are pissed at themselves for not buying one sooner.

fatbacks

WKR
If you are on the fence, try out getting a 22 LR suppressor. They are the cheapest and they also make your 22 quiet like in the movies with the right ammo. I love mine.

I have a suppressor for many reasons, but mainly I use it for hunting with my kids. With them all being pretty young, sometimes by the time I get ear pro on all of them, the first one already has theirs off. I can take a quick shot without causing permanent hearing damage.

I would not buy a suppressor and expect a big 30 cal cartridge to be silent. They're still pretty loud without ear plugs.

gbflyer

WKR
I’ve found my suppressor (which the experts indicate is a loud one) with hunting ammo cuts the centerfire rifle report down to about a .22 magnum rifle. I still wear muffs. With subsonics, no hearing protection really needed. With my single shot 300 AAC, the bullet whacking steel makes more noise than shooting the rifle.

I have not gotten one of those silicone covers for it, but I intend to. Without one, the heat mirage it generates after 3-4 rounds makes the scope worthless unless there’s a breeze to carry it away.

I think I need to find someone in my area that has one. I have wanted one for a long time for the cool factor. I know dumb. But, now I am really debating getting one and could care less about the cool factor. Now I want benefits. Thank you for giving me some benefits. I currently shoot with a brake but like you said. It will blow my ears without plugs, even when hunting.
Be careful, once you shoot suppressed you'll be dropping $1200 and pacing back and forth for about 6-8 months 😉
I was actually getting headaches from the blast after shooting my braked magnums, blast is actually one of the leading causes of concussions..
I bought a cheap 4" suppressor to get my feet wet, its a POS but it still knocks the recoil down close to what I get with a brake and the blast is completely wiped out.
I immediately ordered a better suppressor after that, and 7.5 months later I just got a Banish 30 approved

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
After you own one, you’ll think everyone else is uncivilized! Seriously. All of my rifles have suppressors. They make shooting so much more enjoyable.
What would be a good first one to get? Ive narrowed it down to three. Sandman S, Omega 300 and Thunderbeast 7 ti.

B23

WKR
TBAC Gen2 Ultra7 30 cal if you're willing to give up a little sound reduction for the convenience of a shorter suppressor but if you are looking for more noise reduction and you don't mind a slightly longer suppressor the Ultra9 is about as good as it gets. 30 caliber in either those would be my first choice.

A VERY close third choice and for some it may be their first choice would be the Banish 30 from Silencer Central. The Banish 30 can be run as a 7 inch can or 9 inch and also is a take apart design so cleaning it is obviously much easier and the Banish 30 is damn near as quiet as the TBAC Ultra series suppressors. Also, Silencer Central has about the slickest and easiest purchase plan of any place I've ever dealt with. They send you the information in the mail you get it filled out, do your fingerprint cards, send in the passport photo along with the other stuff and when your stamp gets approved they ship it directly to you. They have a pretty slick process for sure. I'm a TBAC guy, have three of their cans but if I was buying a new can tomorrow it would be hard to pass up the ease of purchase Silencer Central has and the Banish 30 is also a top notch performing suppressor.

TBAC Gen2 Ultra7 30 cal if you're willing to give up a little sound reduction for the convenience of a shorter suppressor but if you are looking for more noise reduction and you don't mind a slightly longer suppressor the Ultra9 is about as good as it gets. 30 caliber in either those would be my first choice.

A VERY close third choice and for some it may be their first choice would be the Banish 30 from Silencer Central. The Banish 30 can be run as a 7 inch can or 9 inch and also is a take apart design so cleaning it is obviously much easier and the Banish 30 is damn near as quiet as the TBAC Ultra series suppressors. Also, Silencer Central has about the slickest and easiest purchase plan of any place I've ever dealt with. They send you the information in the mail you get it filled out, do your fingerprint cards, send in the passport photo along with the other stuff and when your stamp gets approved they ship it directly to you. They have a pretty slick process for sure. I'm a TBAC guy, have three of their cans but if I was buying a new can tomorrow it would be hard to pass up the ease of purchase Silencer Central has and the Banish 30 is also a top notch performing suppressor.
My Banish 30 was approved 2 weeks ago, it should ship in the next few weeks.
I'm stoked to screw it on my 30 Nos, I'll start a thread when I get some rounds through her.
I was torn between the ultra 7 and 9, the modularity of the Banish ultimately swayed my decision

Medic103

FNG
What would be a good first one to get? Ive narrowed it down to three. Sandman S, Omega 300 and Thunderbeast 7 ti.
Look at the Q Half Nelson or Full Nelson. Full Ti construction, very very light due to no tube. Something people aren't mentioning is the customer service. Q will replace or repair anything that happens to it, I've even seen them do it for someone who accidentally ran his over with his truck. Since suppressors are serial numbered and registered, replacements can be a 8 month nightmare. Q takes care of its customers.

D

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
All great suggestions. Seems like I would ant a quick connect so I can run muzzle brakes on multiple rifles and use the same can.

If you are on the fence, try out getting a 22 LR suppressor. They are the cheapest and they also make your 22 quiet like in the movies with the right ammo. I love mine.

I have a suppressor for many reasons, but mainly I use it for hunting with my kids. With them all being pretty young, sometimes by the time I get ear pro on all of them, the first one already has theirs off. I can take a quick shot without causing permanent hearing damage.

I would not buy a suppressor and expect a big 30 cal cartridge to be silent. They're still pretty loud without ear plugs.
Kids is exactly what attracted me to suppressors. Then I quickly realized it's good for everyone, kids to hunting buddies.

Arch - I have the Thunderbeast 5, 7, 9, and the 22 take down. If you are looking at TB cans, I can give you pros/cons on those from a 6mm up to a .300. The one thing I would suggest is going direct thread so you can run the rifle with no break, no can, or spin on a brake of your choice, or spin on the can. It gives you totally flexibility. I did the adapter thing with my first can, but have fully converted all my rifles and cans over to direct thread.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My Banish 30 was approved 2 weeks ago, it should ship in the next few weeks.
I'm stoked to screw it on my 30 Nos, I'll start a thread when I get some rounds through her.
I was torn between the ultra 7 and 9, the modularity of the Banish ultimately swayed my decision
My buddy just got a banish 30, I was impressed enough with it to order one for myself and endd up also ordering a banish 22. I figured if I was going to wait, I might as well order 2. I also have a dead air nomad ti in progress. The TBAC ones seem nice but I wanted to be able to take apart the can myself and the fanboy following for TBAC along with the attitude/arrogance of the TBAC company guys on other forums swayed me away from them.

You'll struggle to find someone who says they regret buying a suppressor. My best advice is just do it ASAP. My personal preference is TBAC (they're kind of the gold standard) but there are a lot of great suppressor companies now. They reduce some recoil, completely eliminate muzzle blast (which is a huge cause of flinch in shooters), and reduce noise of course.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Kids is exactly what attracted me to suppressors. Then I quickly realized it's good for everyone, kids to hunting buddies.

Arch - I have the Thunderbeast 5, 7, 9, and the 22 take down. If you are looking at TB cans, I can give you pros/cons on those from a 6mm up to a .300. The one thing I would suggest is going direct thread so you can run the rifle with no break, no can, or spin on a brake of your choice, or spin on the can. It gives you totally flexibility. I did the adapter thing with my first can, but have fully converted all my rifles and cans over to direct thread.
What do you do for rifles that have different thread pitches? I assume there are adapters?