Help me understand Supressors

What do you do for rifles that have different thread pitches? I assume there are adapters?
Yep, thread adapters, but all my centerfires have 5/8-24 threads so it was simple for me to make that choice. The TB CB mounts are A) heavier than a Ti brake, and B) not nearly as effective as good side port break. Not sure what other can brands do for an adapter system, but like I said, direct thread gives you full flexibility if you are not using the can.

Last edited:
Waiting on my first one- went with a Banish 30 due to the ease of ordering with Silencer central. Was approved last week so hoping it shows up soon!

I now have all the parts to put together the main rifle it will go on, a 16.25” .308 with a manners compact stock that’s adjustable LOP so everyone can shoot it.

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Q Trash Panda, mostly because it came with brake/adapters for 5/8-24 and ½-whatever ARs come in. So I figured it would be doable to switch around the same can on lots of different rifles, including my skinny light hunting rifles.

It's much much more pleasant to shoot. Another thing...having a not obnoxiously loud gun makes it more practical to practice rifle shooting. By that I mean there are places I could legally shoot, but don't because its just obnoxious to everyone around. The suppressor isn't quiet, but it's quiet enough to not be obnoxious to some hiker or camper ½ mile away.

I might do a direct thread next time. The Q brake works well, but it adds a couple ounces, and I definitely wouldn't want to shoot it without ear pro (just with the brake on, not the suppressor). On brushy climbs, I could see removing the suppressor, would hate to have to shoot at a brownie then. So maybe a direct thread would have been better (like the Q half Nelson).

I love having a suppressed rifle to hunt with. Too many quick shots over the years without ear pro....
I shoot rifles more in the field now.

204guy

WKR
What do you do for rifles that have different thread pitches? I assume there are adapters?
I'm going to disagree with Brightwhite here. My first 2 cans are direct thread 1/2 & 5/8 varminter 3.0's- predecessors to the banish cans. Threading a standard 90° muzzle onto a dt can there's a real possibility of cross threading, you have to pay very close attention every time. It's a pia if you're moving it around alot. If putting on 1 rifle and leaving it there dt is fine, if you have multiple rifles this is unlikely, you'll want to suppress everything. I also ran adapters on the 5/8 can to 9/16 & 1/2. It worked, but only okay.

The Area 419 hellfire adapter system is a better mousetrap. You buy a $40 muzzle adapter for each barrel for whatever it's threaded for, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8 etc. Also buy the adapter for your suppressor. Both devices are tapered so threading is much easier. Then as you add suppressors or rifles you just get the appropriate adapter. I can now switch between my dt 5/8" varminter, ul 7 cb, 338 ultra and future cans for a half dozen different rifles, threaded 1/2, 9/16 & 5/8 in about 10 seconds. Pretty slick deal imo.

B23

WKR
Also when using a brake type mount, like TBAC CB mount, depending on the barrel diameter they give you a better/more shoulder for the can to square up against. All my cans are DT and all my barrels I put them on have around the "varmint" size contour so they have decent size muzzle diameters but I agree with the above and think the brake type mounts like TB's CB mount is a better way to go. That doesn't mean direct thread is bad because like I said all of my cans are DT but brake mounts, though they cost more, are probably a better setup, especially on barrels that just barely meet the minimum muzzle diameter.

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to disagree with Brightwhite here. My first 2 cans are direct thread 1/2 & 5/8 varminter 3.0's- predecessors to the banish cans. Threading a standard 90° muzzle onto a dt can there's a real possibility of cross threading, you have to pay very close attention every time. It's a pia if you're moving it around alot. If putting on 1 rifle and leaving it there dt is fine, if you have multiple rifles this is unlikely, you'll want to suppress everything. I also ran adapters on the 5/8 can to 9/16 & 1/2. It worked, but only okay.

The Area 419 hellfire adapter system is a better mousetrap. You buy a $40 muzzle adapter for each barrel for whatever it's threaded for, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8 etc. Also buy the adapter for your suppressor. Both devices are tapered so threading is much easier. Then as you add suppressors or rifles you just get the appropriate adapter. I can now switch between my dt 5/8" varminter, ul 7 cb, 338 ultra and future cans for a half dozen different rifles, threaded 1/2, 9/16 & 5/8 in about 10 seconds. Pretty slick deal imo.
Interesting. Didn't think about the cross threading possibility and problems going straight to a skinny barrel. By Q Trash Panda screws on to a Q Brake (Cherry Bomb), but it's tapered and there's a lot of meat to back up to. So I guess that's probably better to just put cherry bombs on whatever muzzle I'm using than to constantly remounting a direct thread to a skinny barrel.

Thanks for the info.

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
Was shooting next to a suppressed 300prc while I was shooting mine and it sure seemed like a lot more than 30db difference. Mine is a Christensen arms long range something or other with side ported brake and almost embarrassing how loud it is at a range

I have the Dead Air Mask, Sandman L, Sandman S, and Nomad with a Nomad TI in jail. You won't ever find me shooting unsupressed. It is so much more enjoyable to shoot with a can. Definitely get a little can for your .22. Its a ton of fun to shoot movie quiet rounds

t35henry

FNG
From the looks of it, its $1000 to reduce the noise 30 dB. That does not seem like a good way to spend money. What else am I missing?
Quite is just fun, I have a few and it is great to be able to leave the ears in the truck. To each their own.

If it's the money that is an issue just do a Form1. They're are all kinds of kits. I just built one for my 7mag for less then $500 the tax stamp took 28days to approve. Not sure how to post a video. But I can shoot it without hearing pro.. I wouldn't want to do a range day without hearing pro.

Was shooting next to a suppressed 300prc while I was shooting mine and it sure seemed like a lot more than 30db difference. Mine is a Christensen arms long range something or other with side ported brake and almost embarrassing how loud it is at a range
So a braked magnum is probably pushing the 170+ dB range while a bare muzzle is in the 160s. If you get a high quality suppressor, you can expect somewhere around/under 140 dB depending on barrel length.

With a suppressor you also have the ability to wear 30 dB hearing protection taking it down 110. If you put the same hearing protection on around a braked rifle, you're only down at the 140 mark. And no doubling up on hearing protection with earmuffs/earplugs doesn't get you 60 dB reduction.

Last edited:
the fanboy following for TBAC along with the attitude/arrogance of the TBAC company guys on other forums swayed me away from them.
Yeah I definitely hear you there.. Nothing against the company at all but they have an obnoxious fan base at times.
I was doing some research on the Hide and asked specifically for comparisons on a couple non TBAC suppressors.
Some fan boy told me to STFU and just go buy a shitty suppressor already, apparently some guys take their brands super seriously 🙄

Yeah I definitely hear you there.. Nothing against the company at all but they have an obnoxious fan base at times.
I was doing some research on the Hide and asked specifically for comparisons on a couple non TBAC suppressors.
Some fan boy told me to STFU and just go buy a shitty suppressor already, apparently some guys take their brands super seriously 🙄
People shouldn't be pricks about anything when it comes to brand choices. However, holding it against the company that their product is popular seems a bit weird. If they have huge followings on a variety of forums it seems like the common denominator is people really liking their product.

People shouldn't be pricks about anything when it comes to brand choices. However, holding it against the company that their product is popular seems a bit weird. If they have huge followings on a variety of forums it seems like the common denominator is people really liking their product.
Read my post again
I literally just said I have nothing against TBAC their reputation for a quality product speaks for itself, some people just think they're cool for owning a certain brand is all.
Kinda like the Bros who have to put Nightforce and Hoyt stickers all over their trucks

Yeah I went the form 1 route myself. The fan boy group mentality can be a little strong on the Hide. That being said they are made in my home state and I like their bipod.

If I had to go spend $1000+ on a new rifle suppressor it would be on the Hyperion. There is a cool website called pewscience.com that has some really helpful reviews and metrics to compare different suppressors.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

There was a thread on snipers hide where the TBAC owners were talking down to a guy for asking questions and basically saying anything other than their suppressors were junk, it’s like it had gone to their head. Anyways, I don’t really care what people spend their money on but after doing months of research I don’t really think TBAC suppressors are all that. They are nice for sure but I don’t believe they are 100% superior to anything else out there. I have friends with them and many other suppressors so I have been able to handle and try several models. I’m sure somebody will jump in and say I’m stupid but whatever, I don’t see what the big deal is about a non user serviceable suppressor.

I don’t see what the big deal is about a non user serviceable suppressor.
The only suppressors which need to be user serviceable are rimfire suppressors and maybe some .223/5.56 suppressors, high volume/dirty shooting kind of stuff. The idea that you need to be able to user-service a centerfire suppressor is just plain weird. Centerfire suppressors are not as dirty and just don't really need to be cleaned often at all.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The only suppressors which need to be user serviceable are rimfire suppressors and maybe some .223/5.56 suppressors, high volume/dirty shooting kind of stuff. The idea that you need to be able to user-service a centerfire suppressor is just plain weird. Centerfire suppressors are not as dirty and just don't really need to be cleaned often at all.

Well that’s your opinion, again. Not sure what’s so special about a TBAC. If I want to be able to clean up my suppressor without sending into the company, I don’t see anything weird about that. You have no idea how much or in what conditions it will be used in so really, you’re calling me weird based on your own uninformed opinion.

If that’s not an important feature to you, fine. I personally think it’s weird you wouldn’t want it but whatever, like I said, spend your money on what you like.

Well that’s your opinion, again. Not sure what’s so special about a TBAC. If I want to be able to clean up my suppressor without sending into the company, I don’t see anything weird about that. You have no idea how much or in what conditions it will be used in so really, you’re calling me weird based on your own uninformed opinion.

If that’s not an important feature to you, fine. I personally think it’s weird you wouldn’t want it but whatever, like I said, spend your money on what you like.
It's not really about only TBAC. I'm just correcting misinformation. People who have suppressors from a variety of companies clean them without disassembling them all the time. I don't want the OP to believe that he'll be forced to send his suppressor (whichever company it's from) in to the manufacturer to clean. Or that he'll need to clean it more than every few thousand rounds. Because that's not even remotely close to reality. As for non-TBAC companies, Elite Iron makes some very nice suppressors.