Help me understand Supressors

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You are clearly not understanding my point.

A sponsored pro voluntarily accepts a company sponsorship. They aren’t drafted. They have chosen the companies they represent or often even forego sponsorship to use the gear they see as their best tools.

I still would like to see some actual data regarding the suppressors not “this guy uses it” or “everybody know they are the most repeatable”. That’s all I’ve been saying this entire time but for some reason TBAC guys get all sensitive when people ask for concrete evidence.

I still would like to see some actual data regarding the suppressors not “this guy uses it” or “everybody know they are the most repeatable”. That’s all I’ve been saying this entire time but for some reason TBAC guys get all sensitive when people ask for concrete evidence.
I think the punchline for all of this is that your desired test does not exist. You will never be convinced without it and that's fine. The theme of everyone else's replies is that we don't need that test and are satisfied with the overwhelming consensus of the precision shooting community on the subject. Mainly because these people basically never agree on anything so the fact that they agree on a "best precision suppressor" brand is noteworthy. But you could always be the one to do the test and prove us all wrong.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I think the punchline for all of this is that your desired test does not exist. You will never be convinced without it and that's fine. The theme of everyone else's replies is that we don't need that test and are satisfied with the overwhelming consensus of the precision shooting community on the subject. Mainly because these people basically never agree on anything so the fact that they agree on a "best precision suppressor" brand is noteworthy. But you could always be the one to do the test and prove us all wrong.
Why would I do the test??? I'm not the one making fantastical claims and discrediting other brands like the actual owners of TBAC do on other forums. You would think that people making claims would have the proof to back it up. I also don't really put much stock into what PRS guys use, as was pointed out, lots of them use Vortex optics. Can you do me a favor though, please stop responding to me with anecdotal evidence.

Why would I do the test??? I'm not the one making fantastical claims and discrediting other brands like the actual owners of TBAC do on other forums. You would think that people making claims would have the proof to back it up. I also don't really put much stock into what PRS guys use, as was pointed out, lots of them use Vortex optics. Can you do me a favor though, please stop responding to me with anecdotal evidence.
Anecdotally, you seem very emotionally invested in this topic for some reason and may want to sit down to think about why that is. Picking fights with random forum people bashing a suppressor company in an effort to validate your purchase of another brand is unhealthy. And as was pointed out before, the preferred scope brands for PRS shooters are first Nightforce and second Kahles according to the same surveys which you discredited based on sponsorships. So you are once again incorrect on your red herrings.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Anecdotally, you seem very emotionally invested in this topic for some reason and may want to sit down to think about why that is. Picking fights with random forum people bashing a suppressor company in an effort to validate your purchase of another brand is unhealthy. And as was pointed out before, the preferred scope brands for PRS shooters are first Nightforce and second Kahles according to the same surveys which you discredited based on sponsorships. So you are once again incorrect on your red herrings.
Nope, not emotional at all, just asking for evidence that TBAC is the absolute best of the best and nobody can provide it. Asking for such evidence has just garnered insults. I can have a TBAC if I want one, I just want to know why I should buy one over any other brand and nobody can provide evidence. You said it yourself that the #3 scope used by PRS is Vortex but you decided to leave that out of your last post. You arent being intellectually honest and claiming I am emotionally invested is a cop out. Asking for evidence of claims made is not being emotional.

You said it yourself that the #3 scope used by PRS is Vortex but you decided to leave that out of your last post.
I'll address this point in good faith hoping that you actually care about my answer. Vortex has steadily been falling out of favor with PRS shooters for years because there are now other scopes which compete at their pricepoint better than when their popularity was highest around 2016. Even if you're still suspicious of all PRS shooters because a portion of them use Vortex, that wouldn't make sense either.

The Vortex scope which comprises the vast majority of those cases is the Razor HD 4.5-27x56mm (and sometimes AMG but that's less common). It's a 3lb behemoth that's actually very reliable and has good features, if you're okay with a scope that is heavy enough to double as a hammer. I've actually owned one and no longer do, favoring a Nightforce instead now. These people are not using PST's or Crossfires which do tend to break a bunch and which I do not view as reliable. So their preference for Vortex's most reliable scope shouldn't discredit them at all in the first place. On top of that, discrediting someone's opinion about a brand you dislike because they like the top end model of another brand you dislike (which actually works well unlike the lower end models of that brand) is beyond a stretch.

I have 3 cans, a form 1 .22 rimfire can, an 9" SAS Arbiter .30 and a TBAC 338 Ultra. Both the SAS and TBAC are great, very good repeatability and great sound reduction. I like the TBAC more because it's substantially quieter, which is no surprise since its much larger and designed for huge amounts of gas.

I haven't experienced any of the other brands except Gemtech and I didn't care for it. I think most people will be well served by any of the current manufacturers, I simply recommend TBAC and SAS because they work great for me.

Look, like JohnJohnson said, such a test hasn't been done and maybe it won't ever be. So demanding it to have any informed opinion is a bit much. Besides, such a perfect test will only provide numbers which often do not represent the true quality or real world value.

However, there is some empirical evidence out there. Taken as data points, the collection of many can offer some clues. The PRS competition survey is something, so are reading the many reviews of people who've shot several companies' cans. I for one, appreciate the testing that TBAC has done, and demonstrate openly on youtube. They appear to be using a standardized testing procedure and they provide all rifle and ammo variables, which make it possible to repeat the test. Maybe other companies are doing similarly but I've not seen any. If you know of any, I'd be psyched to know.

While I will agree that there are a fair share of TBAC fan-boys that give too much praise where it might be unwarranted, equally unwarranted is picking a fight with a lot of empirical evidence that TBAC makes as good a can as anyone else. With that said, I am eyeing an SilencerCo Omega 36 as my next can.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Nope, not emotional at all, just asking for evidence that TBAC is the absolute best of the best and nobody can provide it. Asking for such evidence has just garnered insults. I can have a TBAC if I want one, I just want to know why I should buy one over any other brand and nobody can provide evidence. You said it yourself that the #3 scope used by PRS is Vortex but you decided to leave that out of your last post. You arent being intellectually honest and claiming I am emotionally invested is a cop out. Asking for evidence of claims made is not being emotional.

You have only yourself to make happy.
Others have realized the same fact and, with or without data, have chosen the suppressor that suits their needs best.
If no one can provide the evidence you desire, why keep looking for it?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You have only yourself to make happy.
Others have realized the same fact and, with or without data, have chosen the suppressor that suits their needs best.
If no one can provide the evidence you desire, why keep looking for it?

Just asking people to back up the claims they are making. Seems like people don’t like it when they are asked to do that.

CO-AJ

WKR
What would be a good first one to get? Ive narrowed it down to three. Sandman S, Omega 300 and Thunderbeast 7 ti.
TBAC all day long. I have 3 and I run the Ultra 9 on my precision gun. The takedown 22 is just fun and it will screw onto my Ruger 22 and 10/22. Lastly I did the 5.56 which is heavier but I run it obviously on the AR's. I have not found any that I like better than the Thunderbeast.

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
So apparently there’s some discussion about backing up claims. Plenty of reliable tests readily available open source that demonstrate decibel readings with and without a multitude of suppressors on a variety of calibers.
I can only speak for myself. My 6.5 PRC, unsuppressed rates around 165 decibels at the muzzle. That is significantly higher than the threshold of permanent and immediate hearing damage and that is not debatable. While I have not tested my setup (156 Berger going 2930 fps) with a decibel meter, I have fired it suppressed without hearing protection outdoors without experiencing the slightest ringing or discomfort. I don’t care what the decibel reduction number was. I care about taking a shot while hunting without permanently damaging my hearing, or my son’s when he gets old enough to hunt with me.
When it comes to brakes vs suppressors, there are simply far too many variables to compare apples to apples and come away with any meaningful conclusion in terms of what is “better” or what someone else in PRS match does. On top of that, tone and pitch may sound different to everyone so it’s pointless arguing that. Shoot suppressed if you want. Don’t if you don’t. I personally own three and will never hunt unsuppressed again so long as I have a choice. I’ll happily let anyone I meet try out my suppressors and decide for themself but I don’t care what they end up doing. Spend your money and shoot however you want.

Reactions: B23

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
Why don't you ask Marc Taylor from Wiggys in Anchorage? He likes both TBAC and Elite Iron. TBAC was his go to but they are currently backlogged. He has more experience than probably anybody on here and does a lot of education for precision shooting with Frank Galli. Ask Marc about his training courses for long range precision that he does.

I know from my TBAC use that I had no noticeable POI shift or degradation of groupings from my rifle with that can on it. Just my .02

Last edited:

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
An interesting thing was back in the day the two suppressors for precision shooting was Shark and TBAC.
I believe Shark was made by a guy that was also an airline pilot and we know about TBAC. I have not heard anything about Shark in a while now but then Biggerhammer is no longer active anymore.

What ever you do stay away from AAC. They went away with Remington bankruptcy and have/had many problems with 51T mount system.

Sled

WKR
i didn't go through the 4 pages but my take on it is this...

it's less noise overall but still loud. it will reduce hearing damage, recoil and concussive effects. i quit shooting my large bore rifles due to the the pressure wave that made it less tolerable for me. i work with explosives and artillery. both are a real problem if you're overexposed frequently. the suppressor made shooting fun again.

there's also the benefit of a possible follow up shot if you miss. for some reason animals are quite confused by the report and sometimes will more toward you or just stand there.

I want to hear more from the Banish 30 crowd. I few people talked about those and I like the idea of the banish 30 gold.
Mine just shipped and should be delivered this weekend.
I'll be putting some rounds through it with a 30 Nosler, will definitely start a thread on it

there's also the benefit of a possible follow up shot if you miss. for some reason animals are quite confused by the report and sometimes will more toward you or just stand there.
Can confirm on this. I shot a doe last year when she was standing next to 4 other deer. The others trotted a few steps and stopped. Then went right back to what they were doing. Was using an Ultra 9 on a .30-06 and it was at 50 yards.