Help me understand

Shrilrock

FNG
I come from the world of rem 700 or bust and will be the first to admit I know little to nothing about any other brand of rifle. long story short considering building a fast twist 22-250 I’m seeing a ton of ppl went with tikka action wats the new craze about ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gumbl3

WKR
Remington quality has gone down.. Some actions take a little work, some more oft take a lot more to blueprint. Also, an older Remington trigger could be tuned by a smith and be near as good as anything off the shelf. Now you may as well chunk what they send.

Of course Remington is still the standard as far as after market availability for stocks etc, but Tikka has gotten their fare share now which opens up more possibility for custom work

OP
Shrilrock

Shrilrock

FNG
I fully understand the Remington issue. wat is it that is tikkas claim to fame is it weight the lugs or just price ?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I fully understand the Remington issue. wat is it that is tikkas claim to fame is it weight the lugs or just price ? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent barrels, excellent triggers, excellent action which is probably the smoothest made, durable scope mounting system (Sportsmatch), good factory stock, excellent aftermarket support.

An 8” twist factory T3 in 22-250 is an easy buy.

OP
Shrilrock

Shrilrock

FNG
Thank you I’ll definatly be checking out 22-250 that’s bout perfect

N2TRKYS

WKR
If you’re building one and like Remingtons, why not just buy a Remington action? I keep hearing that Remington‘s quality has went down, but I’ve never had to anything to it to make it shoot accurately. Maybe I’ve just been lucky over the years. Idk?

OP
Shrilrock

Shrilrock

FNG
Since I asked the question I went through read about everything on tikkas I decided to go with a Remington 700 action and build sporter contour 22 creed

EastMT

WKR
I’m with you. I have had tikkas, all shot well. I just can’t love them like I do my rems.

Shrek

WKR
If you’re building why on earth would you start with a Remington 700 ? There’s a bunch of quality custom action makers to choose from. Borden would be at the top of my list but they’re expensive.

OP
Shrilrock

Shrilrock

FNG
I have never had any trouble with them once replace firing pin and lap the lugs that being said trust me if I had the coin I’d have a Stiller but til I win the lotto it’s not looking good

OP
Shrilrock

Shrilrock

FNG
e2f6fc399c79177ade9921bd265ea28d.jpg
bce293499556fd5bac50d7353e5a3bde.jpg

10 years old at the time shooting 7wsm at 200 yds 2/3

Shrek

WKR
I have never had any trouble with them once replace firing pin and lap the lugs that being said trust me if I had the coin I’d have a Stiller but til I win the lotto it’s not looking good

Not all the custom makers are $1200+. SELLING - CLASSIC HUNTER RECEIVERS ON SALE | Shooters' Forumm
$700 for the action , Lug , 20 moa rail , and bolt handle. There’s another gunsmith selling a couple of these actions for $550 but they’re not the small boltface.

OP
Shrilrock

Shrilrock

FNG
Definatly did not know about that I appreciate it

EastMT

WKR
ee062c5d7957f96d5f4a16ea889fdda8.jpg

I’ve heard about the new Remington quality, this is a new model 700, 100% factory with reloads. When I bought it off gunbroker I was under the impression it was an older model, I read the serial number wrong. I was spooked by the bad quality stories. Well I might as well shoot it. Loaded some 55gr up with H322, from low load up .5 grains, shot lights out. I went .5 under max load, I’m done.

I have $700 in the entire rifle. Factory trigger. Ugly rubber coated stock that I’ll be putting HS or B&C on at some point but I haven’t because it shoots good.

I have a model 7 that will do the same thing in 308, $500 pawn shop rifle I bought just because I wanted the scope.

I find sometimes the idea of having a custom rifle is as valuable as the rifle itself. It different than all the others, stands out. I had a custom 223 that shot one hole, but my VSSF 22-250 did the same thing for 1/3 of the price. In reality there are lots of mass produced rifles that are out shooting a lot of hand built rifles. I’d say buy you a rem cheap, rebarrel it, you’d be fine.

OP
Shrilrock

Shrilrock

FNG
That smile is priceless!!!!!

(Where are you ears?)

On his head. I was helping him line up the shot. But for a complete stranger to call me on it.... here’s to ya mr.

OP
Shrilrock

Shrilrock

FNG
ee062c5d7957f96d5f4a16ea889fdda8.jpg

I’ve heard about the new Remington quality, this is a new model 700, 100% factory with reloads. When I bought it off gunbroker I was under the impression it was an older model, I read the serial number wrong. I was spooked by the bad quality stories. Well I might as well shoot it. Loaded some 55gr up with H322, from low load up .5 grains, shot lights out. I went .5 under max load, I’m done.

I have $700 in the entire rifle. Factory trigger. Ugly rubber coated stock that I’ll be putting HS or B&C on at some point but I haven’t because it shoots good.

I have a model 7 that will do the same thing in 308, $500 pawn shop rifle I bought just because I wanted the scope.

I find sometimes the idea of having a custom rifle is as valuable as the rifle itself. It different than all the others, stands out. I had a custom 223 that shot one hole, but my VSSF 22-250 did the same thing for 1/3 of the price. In reality there are lots of mass produced rifles that are out shooting a lot of hand built rifles. I’d say buy you a rem cheap, rebarrel it, you’d be fine.

I’ve already got the action on hand and the Smith is in the loop the trigger has been pulled not counting whatever I gave for action should be.
350 for barteline 1:7
400 for grey bow terrain
200 for trigger
+ time n labor on action
Topped with 10x42 swfa mq.
= pure happiness

elkguide

WKR
On his head. I was helping him line up the shot. But for a complete stranger to call me on it.... here’s to ya mr.

Not trying to be harsh but having run so much heavy equipment, gone to way to many rock and roll concerts, shot a few to many weapons without hearing protection, and now saying "WHAT" way to much...……

yes I'm calling you and everyone else out on it.

OP
Shrilrock

Shrilrock

FNG
Not trying to be harsh but having run so much heavy equipment, gone to way to many rock and roll concerts, shot a few to many weapons without hearing protection, and now saying "WHAT" way to much...……

yes I'm calling you and everyone else out on it.

I’m getting smarter as I go not to make an excuse but givin the choice I’d rather my boy be able to hear rather than myself I appreciate criticism most likely gonna remember next time we head out

elkguide

WKR
I’m getting smarter as I go not to make an excuse but givin the choice I’d rather my boy be able to hear rather than myself I appreciate criticism most likely gonna remember next time we head out

When my boys and girls were just starting to shoot, they each got their own pair of "ears" and knew that if they misplaced them that when it was a shooting afternoon/day they had better find them or they weren't going to get to go out in the back yard and shoot. That was many years ago and to this day, when any of them come over, they bring ears 'cause dad is likely to get out a gun or two when we get together.