Help me with a barrel length and caliber.

I apologize if this has been asked multiple times. I have read the threads that seem similar and it has helped but I would like to get a more detailed opinion. I plan to build a dream rifle I have always wanted to do (new stock, new barrel, new trigger) even though it seems I would be better purchasing a new rifle. I purchased a Remington 700 ADL for a donor action, rifle is 30-06, which I believe is the caliber I want to build. I really would like a shorter 20" barrel since I will be running a suppressor on this rifle exclusively. A 30-06 is not a rifle I feel like I love (not sure if I ever shot one) but it appears from all the research I have done the best of all worlds caliber. I have a .243, 7mm-08, 6.5cm, and 270 winchester besides this rifle I plan to build. The 7mm-08 is my favorite of all and something I keep going back to. This rifle will be used 99% of its time South East and 1% of the time out West in future hunts. Everyone I know who goes out West tells me I need a larger caliber 300 win mag, 300 WSM and expect 400 yard shots. I really want to my range to be 300 yards to 400 yards max. I have practiced at these distances.

My real question is does anyone see issues with a 20" rifle, I do understand I will be losing velocity. I have a 24" 6.5 cm and the length is annoying at times in the South East. Does the aggravation of a 24" barrel with a 7" suppressor outweigh losing speed? It seems 30-06 would be a good rifle to 400 yards. For those who have experience hunting elk and out west would you build a 7mm-08 with a 20" barrel or a 30-06 with a 20" barrel, or would you do something different? At 400 yards both seem to have app. 1500ft lbs or more energy, I do understand it will be slightly lower with the shorter barrel. I will also reload for these calibers. I do not want to build a rifle for something I will hunt 1% of the time. Thank you ahead of time for your input.

madcalfe

WKR
pretty sure most 30.06 come with 22" barrels from factory so going to a 20" barrel you would probably only loose 60+/- fps so not huge and velocities can be made back up with different powders. 30.06 has killed more game any anything and will continue to kill.
it would be a fine cartridge for 400 yards and in.
personally I have a 300wsm with a 20" tube and love it.

Btaylor

WKR
Cant help you with the rifle build. Sounds like a fun project though. What I think needs to be said is I would be a little cautious of taking hunting advice from guys that set shot expectations at 400 yards. Most bow shot elk will be comfortably inside that range. ;)

OP
S
pretty sure most 30.06 come with 22" barrels from factory so going to a 20" barrel you would probably only loose 60+/- fps so not huge and velocities can be made back up with different powders. 30.06 has killed more game any anything and will continue to kill.
it would be a fine cartridge for 400 yards and in.
personally I have a 300wsm with a 20" tube and love it.
Thank you! I am not very knowledgeable of 30-06 rifles, this current remington 700 has a 24" barrel but is not threaded. To make this work comes with a new barrel or cutting current barrel down. I do agree I can load hot with proper load development and gain some fps. I have done a long time of research and 30-06 does appear to be the perfect all round caliber. Definitely overkill for 90-150lbs white tail in my area but can handle it all. I can always go to a lighter bullet as well.

OP
S
Cant help you with the rifle build. Sounds like a fun project though. What I think needs to be said is I would be a little cautious of taking hunting advice from guys that set shot expectations at 400 yards. Most bow shot elk will be comfortably inside that range. ;)
This is true, I have no experience out west besides reading a lot of forums and watching videos. I see very few over 300 yards unless they are shooting "long range". I plan to be as close as possible to the animal to decrease error and try to be as ethical as I can be. Thanks for your reply.

Gorp2007

WKR
The animal won't know the difference between a bullet fired from a 20" barrel vs a 22" barrel. I don't know what suppressor you're using, but you can ship the barrel off to TBAC and they'll thread it and face mount a brake for less than the cost of a new barrel.

204guy

WKR
With an 18" 30-06 I push a 168 @ 2750 and 150/155's @ 2850fps. 400 yds is no problem as long as you got the velocity for expansion. I use a ul7 on it. Mines just a factory sporter barrel cut @18" and threaded 9/16-24. You really don't need a new barrel. Get a stock, trigger bottom metal and cut and thread your factory barrel. Save yourself $700, you can always rebarrel later if you want.

Wapiti1

WKR
I agree with the others here. Build it the way you want. You'll be fine. A 20" 30-06 will be fine beyond the 400 yards you are looking at. Shoot a moderate to high BC bullet and enjoy.

204guy nails the setup to start with. Only change for me is no DBM. I like the smooth stock BDL bottom metal for hand carrying the rifle.

Jeremy

wyosam

WKR
I’d do a 20” (or even 18) 7-08, or 7-08 Ackley if you reload. A moderate to fast 30 will certainly work well out west, but it sure isn’t a requirement. I live here and shoot a lot of elk, and don’t currently have a 30 caliber that I actually hunt with. I guess I carry an old 30-30 occasionally when im hunting strictly in thick timber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kcm2

WKR
I've elk hunted primarily with a 20" barrel on a 270 for 20 plus years. Never noticed any loss in power to kill elk out to 519 yds. And it's handy to carry.

So, at least my experience is that you won't be hurting yourself one bit.

OP
S
Thank you all for the input, it really helps. Now to decide if I stick with the 30-06 caliber or go another route. I will most likely do exactly as 204 is saying. This will help me keep my rifle light and save me some money for my scope. I’m looking at the HS precision stocks. I’m not sure why but I’m a fan of a floor plate on a rifle. If everything works out right this will be a fun rifle. Knock down power, reduced recoil, reduced muzzle blast, easy to carry and maneuver. Everything I’ve been looking for in a firearm.

Wapiti1

WKR
Thank you all for the input, it really helps. Now to decide if I stick with the 30-06 caliber or go another route. I will most likely do exactly as 204 is saying. This will help me keep my rifle light and save me some money for my scope. I’m looking at the HS precision stocks. I’m not sure why but I’m a fan of a floor plate on a rifle. If everything works out right this will be a fun rifle. Knock down power, reduced recoil, reduced muzzle blast, easy to carry and maneuver. Everything I’ve been looking for in a firearm.
HS are nice, but they are heavy.

Jeremy

Wags

WKR
A

Any recommendation? I’m open to all stocks.

My grandfather has killed more critters than CWD with a 30.06. I've got roughly 20 big game animals (goats/deer/elk) with mine. I've taken animals out past 400 with it and never had any apprehension about the round doing it's job. If you load a proper bullet and you do your end the 30.06 will deliver at those distances with a lot less recoil and longer barrel life.

If you really wanted to change the caliber I'd go with a 208AI in that action.

Stocks, McMillan, Manners, KRG... you really cant go wrong with some of those. The issue can be wait times. I think Manners will likely come in the Christmas of 2046 if you order today....JK, just know it'll be 4-6 months. KRG may have a Bravo in stock or you may be able to track one down. I've not heard anything negative about it. I'd put one on my rifle if they made a Lefty Tikka model.

Wapiti1

WKR
A

Any recommendation? I’m open to all stocks.
Depends on the style, but McMillan has about anything you may want in very light fill variants. I've never been disappointed with their stocks.

If you search stocks here, you'll see a bunch of options. AG Composites, Manners, Iota, Allterra and PSE are a few others to look at. I really like the Allterra Carbon Hunter and PSE Hunter shape. Nice mix of offhand and prone features.

Jeremy

OP
S
Thank you guys. I found the grayboe Phoenix that has the shape I like and is 2lbs. From what I have seen that is medium on the weight. My factory stock is 1 lb 12oz so only 4oz heavier.

SDHNTR

WKR
Why do you need a suppressor? Why not just build a thing with a standard 22 inch barrel?

OP
S
Why do you need a suppressor? Why not just build a thing with a standard 22 inch barrel?
Well I own a suppressor, reduction in recoil, and reduction in damage to my hearing. The main reason is hearing protection. I like to practice with how I hunt. I have rifles that I cannot suppress due to not having threads and wear ear protection with all.