Help me with a barrel length and caliber.

I don't have any direct input on the caliber, but if overall length is a concern as you mentioned keep in mind you can save another 1/2" or so with a short action caliber.

SDHNTR

WKR
Not sure why you jumped all over me. Don’t be so sensitive. I just wanted to know why you need one. I support your right to have one if you want one. Obviously I have no experience with them so I just genuinely don’t see the advantage from a functionality standpoint. Seems like earplugs would be easier to carry than several inches added to the barrel. Recoil can be reduced with a 1.5” brake instead of a 6” can. What am I missing?

OP
S
Not sure why you jumped all over me. Don’t be so sensitive. I just wanted to know why you need one. I support your right to have one if you want one. I just genuinely don’t get it from a functionality standpoint. Seems like earplugs would be easier to carry than several inches added to the barrel.
Recoil reduction is huge, accuracy typically improves, if I forgot my ear plugs no worries. I think you still run the risk of hearing damage even when wearing hearing protection. I would suppress every firearm I own if affordable and functional. Rifles are being offered in 18" platforms now I believe mainly for this reason. They even have light weight suppressors. I understand you may not be interested but I truly believe if it was easier to acquire it would be crazy not to have. Animals are also less spooked when firing and come back pretty quick even after an animal being harvested.

bsnedeker

WKR
Not sure why you jumped all over me. Don’t be so sensitive. I just wanted to know why you need one. I support your right to have one if you want one. Obviously I have no experience with them so I just genuinely don’t see the advantage from a functionality standpoint. Seems like earplugs would be easier to carry than several inches added to the barrel. Recoil can be reduced with a 1.5” brake instead of a 6” can. What am I missing?
Lol...nice backtrack! You didn't say "I'm curious as to why you are interested in a suppressor". You said "Why would anyone NEED suppressor, just put a regular barrel on it!"

This is America comrade. We don't need to explain why we need something. How about I go through your possessions and ask you why you NEED everything you own?

If we want something, we get it, that's called FREEDOM!!! The first line in his thread said he was building is dream rifle. His dream rifle has a suppressor. End of discussion.

208chase

FNG
Chop the barrel to 20in and keep the 3006 you can find ammo anywhere and with the suppressor you will gain any fps lost.

Shad71

WKR
If I were in your shoes I would chop and re-crown your current barrel if the chamber and throat look good. Might also look at Bell & Carlson stocks as well.. Good luck on your dream build 🍻
Aim small, miss small...