Help me with Cheaper quilt and shelter ideas???

snel6424

FNG
For Quilts, the Hammock Gear Econ line is your best bet. If you want a cheap but surprisngly decent trekking pole tent, get a 3F Lanshan tent. You can find a bunch of videos about them on youtube and lots of good discussions on them on reddit. I think they're only like $120.

280Ackley

WKR
Check out Outdoor Vitals. They have a used section that has some good buys. I’ve ran there Atlas sleeping bag the last 2 seasons and I am very happy with it.

Drenalin

WKR
The Mountain Shelter LT is a good option, but it is floorless if that's a concern for you. It's 40d material, so pretty robust - I didn't have any durability concerns with mine. At around $75 used (sometime new on sale), it's a solid value. If you're going to want a bivy with it, that changes the math on both cost and weight.

Hammock Gear is running 15% off custom quilts right now - I just selected options on a 30 degree Econ Burrow, regular wide, and it came to $185.25 with the code 15OFF.

Those two get you 2/3 of the way there at a really good cost and weight, but the pad is more challenging. You can sometimes find Thermarest seconds on Sierra Trading Post, and used on eBay is an option. But I haven't seen a pad yet that's warm, light, and cheap. If cost is the biggest factor on your pad, you're probably going to have something pretty heavy.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
Those two get you 2/3 of the way there at a really good cost and weight, but the pad is more challenging. You can sometimes find Thermarest seconds on Sierra Trading Post, and used on eBay is an option. But I haven't seen a pad yet that's warm, light, and cheap. If cost is the biggest factor on your pad, you're probably going to have something pretty heavy.
Klymit has an eBay store with discounted refurbished pads and factory seconds on their gear. I bought a static v light insulated pad there. Only have a dozen or so nights on it but I can't tell that it is not a brand new unit.

Jimss

WKR
When it comes to cheap I’m on top of it as long as it’s quality! I have been using the fly off my hilleberg nallo for years. Super light and holds up to hurricane wind and snow since it is a 4 season fly. I use painters plastic that is $5 from Home Depot for a floor. Gobs of room for you plus gear (unlike other small shelters).

Drenalin

WKR
Klymit has an eBay store with discounted refurbished pads and factory seconds on their gear. I bought a static v light insulated pad there. Only have a dozen or so nights on it but I can't tell that it is not a brand new unit.
Nice pad for sure. I didn't mention it because I recommended a quilt and have heard that Klymit's pads only meet their r-value if there's sleeping bag material under you to fill in between all the baffles/tubes. I don't know whether or not that's 100% true, but the one I had struggled in colder temps with a quilt.

tdot

WKR
You could always buy used gear off the Classifieds and then sell it when you're done. You'll end up with higher quality gear and if you buy smart, it shouldn't cost you anymore then buying cheap.

ChrisAU

WKR
I just got in a 2021 Lanshan 1 Plus (little longer and wider than the old model)...I love it. "4 season" inner with T-door, and without stakes it weighs 28 oz. Cost me $159. I plan on setting it up soon and doing a thread on it.

If I was going on a one and done trip I'd probably just take the heavier gear I already own.

What are the temps going to be like where you're going? You mention a 30 degree quilt could work, are you expecting it to be in the 30s? Have you ever slept in a quilt? I love my quilt when I'm in my hammock but can't use it on a pad. I just can't get it to wrap around me enough to keep me warm.

Depending on a temp, a lot of people like the Klymit insulated static v pad. You can often find them at Costco in the fall for well under 100 bucks.

I have a river country products tent trekker 2.2 that I got from Amazon for less than $60. If you're expecting rain you'll definitely want to get some seam sealer for it. But it's a nice little trekking pole tent.

I know this post is a little old and maybe you don't need this info anymore. If you already went, let us know what you ended up taking.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bushfire

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for your input.
I went on the trip with my 0 degree bag that i had and almost froze, when it dipped to 20s at night. My friend got a new 0 degree quilt with a good highly rated pad and was comfortable then entire trip.

We both used river country tents and let me tell you we were more than pleased! It rained a few times and once for 8 hours straight and 50mph winds and nothing got in! No clue how they help up but they did. A friend had a $250 tent that didn't hold up as well, was smaller, and weighed more!

Thanks

CWalker

FNG
Mountainsmith shelter lt - $90(used)
Big Agnes insulated axl large/wide - $45(rei sale)
Thermorest Hyperion 20 - $325ish (rei 20% coupon)

The mountainsmith has blown me away with what you get for the price. My buddy has the kifaru super tarp and they are very close in quality I would say. Kifaru is a bit lighter but the lt is a more durable fabric and both weigh about the same. I’ve take the system above down to mid to low 20’s and been comfortable. You could probably go with a cheaper bag and sacrifice some weight but for <$500 this is a really solid setup coming in less than 4.5#s

Mcnasty

FNG
If less expensive is the top of your list and you are not worried about bulk, you might consider adding a ridge rest or other foam pad that has high Rvalue to your existing pad. They are light, cheap new, and used ones are available from multiple places. The Rvalue of your pad can significantly impact the comfort level of your bag or quilt. Also don't over look used. If you have a n REI near by they often have returned gear that is used or slightly blemished for significantly less cost. I have a very light weight REI sil nylon tarp that I paid 10 or 15$ for because on of thee stake loops was frayed. I then paid 10$ to have an new one sewn on and reinforced better that it was new. REIoutlet and Sierratragingpost are good places for last seasons modules etc. good luck