Help me with Cheaper quilt and shelter ideas???

Bushfire

Lil-Rokslider
I know I know cheap is not the word to use around here. But for real I'm going on a muley hunt that's probably one and done. I don't use this equipment for any other hunts so I don't need the best most durable ones made.

I have a good, warm bag right now but it weighs almost 6lb in its stuff sack.

I want to try a quilt since I'm a restless side sleeper. Who makes one that's still priced reasonable and light. I'd like a 20 degree but 30 would work. While we're at it what do you recommend for a pad. I have a thinner thermorest right now but it doesn't have a high real high R value.

Next is Shelters? There's 2 or 3, one man tents, trekking pole style, on Amazon for $50 range that are about 2.5lbs. With some modifications they say it's water proof and work well.
Any recommendations for a decent light weight shelter that isn't $300-800

Thanks

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
Hammock Gear Econ or maybe a VIAM quilt should work. Klymit makes some affordable pads. For shelter....I'd say either try to find a good deal on something used, or maybe look at a tarp setup. But the tarp thing can be tricky depending on your level of experience/comfortability with backcountry stuff. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bushfire

Lil-Rokslider
I hardly have any experience at all with it. Zero experience with a tarp. All the pictures I see with tarps don't seem very protective. Everything is open except the pitched tarp roof?
I will look into the quilts you mentioned
Thanks

Geewhiz

WKR
Check out this if you want to try out floorless. Pretty good value IMO.

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
I hardly have any experience at all with it. Zero experience with a tarp. All the pictures I see with tarps don't seem very protective. Everything is open except the pitched tarp roof?
I will look into the quilts you mentioned
Thanks
In that case, I'd steer clear of the tarp or floorless shelter option. You should probably look for a double wall, free standing tent. Unfortunately, a cheap, lightweight, durable version of that does not exist. If it did, nobody else would be in business. Look used (classifieds here, REI used gear, etc), and find the best deal you can. You're gonna have to compromise somewhere. And depending on your size, you'll likely want a two person version. One person tents are tiny.

WRM

WKR
Mountain Laurel Designs Trailstar. Bombproof if you take 5 minutes to learn how to pitch it. Been in wind gusting 60+ mph all night long and no issues. Get great side coverage for a "tarp". It's basically a crossover.

Enlightened Equipment Enigma.

You can get into both for around $500 total.

dtrkyman

WKR
The mountain smith lt as mentioned and look at outdoor vitals for a good inexpensive bag/quilt

WRM

WKR
I gotta ask, what is durability on that LT like? I've been in more than one situation where I was glad I'd spent at least $250 on my shelter.

Poser

WKR
In that case, I'd steer clear of the tarp or floorless shelter option. You should probably look for a double wall, free standing tent. Unfortunately, a cheap, lightweight, durable version of that does not exist. If it did, nobody else would be in business. Look used (classifieds here, REI used gear, etc), and find the best deal you can. You're gonna have to compromise somewhere. And depending on your size, you'll likely want a two person version. One person tents are tiny.

Eureka Suma is a sub 3 lbs tent that costs less than $200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
I gotta ask, what is durability on that LT like? I've been in more than one situation where I was glad I'd spent at least $250 on my shelter.

I have one that I have used extensively in the past and it’s a burly shelter that will stand up to the alpine -probably ~100 nights out in it, many above treeline.

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
Paria Outdoor Products has some affordable choices. I have one of the 30 degree quilts and love it for warmer weather sleeping. As a side sleeper though I don't think it would be my first choice during fall/winter conditions. That goes for any quilt though and YMMV but I'll keep my down bag for really cold conditions. I also have one of the XL Recharge pads and so far really like it. It's a little heavier than my thermorest and XLS but I like it for the price.

fatlander

WKR
Make sure you’ve got a quilt that’s warm enough for where you’re going to be. For the most part, until you get into the super high end stuff, temperature rating is a survival rating, not comfort. A 30 degree survival rated bag isn’t going to keep you warm in the 30s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
I have not used the LT a ton yet, however I rode out some serious storms in it and it performed perfectly. I have zero wear on mine after setting up dozens of times. The supplied stakes are not the best but get the job done mostly. I broke the top off a few now trying to pound them into the ground.

I need to start setting mine up minus the front pole, hate having it in the way when pitched!

Reactions: WRM

WRM

WKR
I have not used the LT a ton yet, however I rode out some serious storms in it and it performed perfectly. I have zero wear on mine after setting up dozens of times. The supplied stakes are not the best but get the job done mostly. I broke the top off a few now trying to pound them into the ground.

I need to start setting mine up minus the front pole, hate having it in the way when pitched!

supplied stakes normally suck

npro04

Lil-Rokslider
I ran the mountainsmith LT when I first went to “tarp” shelters. It’s not the lightest but it’s pretty indestructible. I also have a hammock gear econ burrow 20° And I’ve been very happy with it. They also offer some discounted models that people ordered custom and didn’t end up buying or have small cosmetic defects.

xcutter

WKR
If you purchase a cheaper tent off of Amazon be sure to seam seal it yourself. I got a nephew that has a cheap tent from Amazon and it has held up great. Had to seal it though.

Going cheaper isn't that big of a problem reliability wise. It more of a weight and bulk problem.
I had a mt shelter lt and it was a great shelter.
They a durable and do well because they have a sleek profile so they do not catch much wind and have alot of guy outs.
Upgrade the stakes.
I sold mine simply because I do not like a front load shelter.
I prefer to roll out to side as opposed to crawl out on knees .

Far as cheap quilts, all the manufacturers seem to have some sort of bargain cave. Just buy one or 2 rating colder then you plan to hunt. I find quilt manufacturers pad there temp rating to advertise a low weight. And unless you fit there testing standards exactly you will freeze.
Viam, Bandit, HG just Google it and look for there outlet .

I’ve been using a hammock gear Econ burrow for 3 years now with no complaints. 20 degree long/wide with a couple oz of over fill. Just under 30 oz and very warm. Don’t cheap out on a pad if you’re going to be in cold temps with a quilt though.