Help me with coffee fellas...

Poser

WKR
And they don't drink coffee? I don't know any Mormons. I'm Catholic so it's not a religious thing, just never thought to try it. Seems like a waste of money to me!

They don’t drink coffee. They are, however, allowed to eat chocolate covered coffee beans.
Try and make sense of that one, if you can. The only explanation I’ve gotten after spending hours hounding a Mormon friend, was this: “that’s the thing religion, you don’t get to make the rules”

jspradley

WKR
They don’t drink coffee. They are, however, allowed to eat chocolate covered coffee beans.
Try and make sense of that one, if you can. The only explanation I’ve gotten after spending hours hounding a Mormon friend, was this: “that’s the thing religion, you don’t get to make the rules”

Maybe because the prohibition is against beverages and if it ain't made into a beverage yet....

Chocolate covered coffee beans are dangerous shit...I dig into those things and before I know it I've eaten a whole lot of cups of coffee lol

They are just plant material, I toss them on the ground (away from camp) or if I was going to be there a while dig a small hole to bury them in just so there's not a big pile of grounds laying around being ugly.

I have a Sea to Summit coffee dripper that works pretty well, I'm a pourover junkie, I do use one of those Melita paper filters with it though, I prefer the taste of a paper filter vs a metal filter but it works just fine with the metal filter than comes with it.

I do have a Hario manual grinder for when I'm car camping that I will use because whole beans are the way to go if you can spare the extra weight and space.

As far as the coffee itself I roast my own because I'm a hipster like that but I also do like to buy from small roasters. Three Keys Coffee out of Houston has an incredible Ethiopian coffee. Even if you don't buy hipster coffee any whole bean coffee ground right before brewing is a whole 'nother game from preground!

I've always wondered about grounds being buried and actually degrading because they're so acidic. My wife flips out on people when they toss orange peels because they just last forever in Utah due to the acidity. I've never looked into the coffee grounds being buried though.

I'm also pretty snobbish and hipstery with my coffee. I love blue copper coffee and la barba coffee in Utah. I just can't afford it all the time at the rate I go through it.

jspradley

WKR
I've always wondered about grounds being buried and actually degrading because they're so acidic. My wife flips out on people when they toss orange peels because they just last forever in Utah due to the acidity. I've never looked into the coffee grounds being buried though.

I'm also pretty snobbish and hipstery with my coffee. I love blue copper coffee and la barba coffee in Utah. I just can't afford it all the time at the rate I go through it.

I can say they don't last long at all in my compost bin but that's an accelerated process.

Now that I think about it, as much coffee as I drink my dumps might never break down in the woods...lol

wyodan

WKR
Aeropress works well. A french press will work. I use the BRCC instant packs when I'm in the backcountry.

badshot

Lil-Rokslider
So I am the only guy that does Folgers premade coffee in the tea bags? I mean Folgers wouldn't be drank in the house as I am a french press guy like alot of you but in the woods I am not packing all that weight into the back country.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I've gutted down Starbucks via for 5 years. To me, it's bitter and hard on toilet paper...Tried black rifle this year...same.
Im not a coffee snob, but damn sure have to have it. 30oz every morning to function. McCafe, Folgers, Black Rifle various blends, Moose Munch. I like almost all "real" coffee at home.

Educate me on how to get regular coffee without dragging a Bunn and a generator to camp.

Wife bought me a 20 oz tumbler/coffee mug WITH A BUILT IN FRENCH PRESS! No more Starbucks Via for me! Have 5# of DeathWish coffee, preground. I’m set!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cruizer

Lil-Rokslider
I can't stomach Starbucks, but have never tried Black Rifle. The best coffee I've had is Green Mountain Coffee Rosters "Dark Magic". Should be really good in a French Press. About $8 for a 12 oz bag.

Percolator isn’t really a step up from instant so I wouldn’t bother with that.

Get a pour over coffee cone and some filters. Best way to make great tasting coffee at home as well. They are light and don’t take up much room. Just boil water and pour overtop.

Wet the filter first and have had it.

I have seen French presses get more and more popular but for me it doesn’t come close to the taste or simplicity of a good cup of pour over.

Last edited:
Percolator isn’t really a step up from instant so I wouldn’t bother with that.

Get a pour over coffee cone and some filters. Best way to make great tasting coffee at home as well. They are light and don’t take up much room. Just boil water and pour overtop.

Wet the filter first and have had it.

I have seen French presses get more and more popular but for me it doesn’t come close to the taste or simplicity of a good cup of pour over.

Im curious on your thoughts of how a real percolator isnt a step up from instant? It’s fresh brewed coffee in a very pure form vs instant. I’ve tried all methods of brewing and I much prefer my percolator over any other.....including French press and pour over.

Cbrick

FNG

Best filter made IMO. I have 2. One that stays with my hunting/backpacking kit, and the other on the counter in the kitchen. Been using the same filter to make coffee now going on 2 years and it’s still like new.

bat-cave

WKR
IMHO, pour over can make almost any coffee taste that much better. I happen to be a Chemex fan. If you use their filters, even Starbucks can taste pretty good! It takes time, so best for slower mornings when I'm not in a rush, but produces great coffee and it's not an expensive system.

I am a Black Rifle Coffee fan. I have a monthly subscription, so the bags just magically arrive every month and I have yet to find beans from them that I'm unhappy with. I pre-grind and use an Aeropress when out in the woods / on the road.

I will 2nd the mount hagen instant. Reviewed as the best taste for instant, and Id agree as someone who considers themself a coffee snob. Is it aeropress or french press quality? No, but its not bitter and is good tasting plain black as coffee should be. I wouldnt haul anything heavier than instant on my back up a mountain.
I'll third the mount hagen recomendation. An extra bonus of it is that it disolves easily in cold water (starbucks does not!). This is nice for a mid-day pick-up when your out and don't have your stove.