Help me with coffee fellas...

hobbes

WKR
I love coffee, so much so that I've had some health problems from caffeine overload. I had to drop it for a while, then went back to decaf and have slowly worked back into real coffee (probably too much again). I like good coffee, but am not picky unless it's convenient. I just accept that coffee in the Backcountry isn't going to be great coffee.
Screenshot_20201105-092328.pngOn most mornings I'd like to have it but I've grown tired of the whole boiling water process in the morning and just eat a cold breakfast. I use this stuff sometimes instead of the vias or folgers.

jspradley

WKR
Im curious on your thoughts of how a real percolator isnt a step up from instant? It’s fresh brewed coffee in a very pure form vs instant. I’ve tried all methods of brewing and I much prefer my percolator over any other.....including French press and pour over.

Percolators basically "overcook" the coffee and cause serious over-extraction recirculating the extracted coffee.

With that said it can be an enjoyable experience for me sitting around a camp fire enjoying some nasty ass motor oil coffee lol

The Kuju Coffee pour over packages are the way to go. Im astonished I never see them mentioned more when this question is posed. Its a small single use package that sits across the mouth of your cup for a quick brew in just a couple minutes and the coffee is good. Better quality coffee than some of the other similar prepackaged pour over brands Ive tried.

Unless bringing both a pot to boil and a cup to drink is a deal breaker for you, its the route.

Bdjones

Lil-Rokslider
Black rifle silencer smooth

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

P Carter

WKR
The Kuju Coffee pour over packages are the way to go. Im astonished I never see them mentioned more when this question is posed. Its a small single use package that sits across the mouth of your cup for a quick brew in just a couple minutes and the coffee is good. Better quality coffee than some of the other similar prepackaged pour over brands Ive tried.

Unless bringing both a pot to boil and a cup to drink is a deal breaker for you, its the route.
This looks awesome, thanks for pointing it out. I’ve never heard of it. I use the pour over filter, which is great, but my ziplocks of coffee always makes the rest of my food in that days ziplock taste/smell like coffee. Do these have the same issue?

This looks awesome, thanks for pointing it out. I’ve never heard of it. I use the pour over filter, which is great, but my ziplocks of coffee always makes the rest of my food in that days ziplock taste/smell like coffee. Do these have the same issue?
They sell them in two different packaging styles. Opt for the individually foil packaged filters and you will have no issues if in same bag as other food.

They sell a different style called "travel 5-packs" which just loosely contains them in the large ziploc.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR

The Kuju pour overs are awesome, and much much better than any instant I've tried. Only reason I don't use it more often is exactly what you mentioned - I can't wrap my mind around bringing two cups!

P Carter

WKR
The Kuju pour overs are awesome, and much much better than any instant I've tried. Only reason I don't use it more often is exactly what you mentioned - I can't wrap my mind around bringing two cups!
I just use the cardboard cups from my work breakroom...throw two or three in the top of your pack, weighs nothing, works well for pour-over. (Obviously, you can't boil in them, but I have a regular pot to boil with anyway.)

rayporter

WKR
all you need is one cup and the heater under it. the heater nests under the cup and if i want the second cup it nests also. add a fuel bar and presto coffee. no stove needed.
Dc4Ailx.jpg

Honestly if you really want good coffee learn to roast your own. You can purchase everything that you need here, https://www.sweetmarias.com/. Yes a roaster can be expensive, but it truly is the only way to get really good coffee.
A word of caution about sweet Maria’s, if you go down that road there’s a good chance you’ll end up like I have. I’ve been so spoiled by the coffee I roast that I find it hard to drink coffee prepared by anyone else, including the majority of coffee shops. At the office I use the Aeropress, at home it’s Chemex or French Press. Always with a freshly roasted and preferably just ground bean. It’s a hassle but I wouldn’t have it any other way. The coffee is just so much better and I look forward to it every day. I’ve lived this way for 7 years and don’t see it ever changing.

jspradley

WKR
A word of caution about sweet Maria’s, if you go down that road there’s a good chance you’ll end up like I have. I’ve been so spoiled by the coffee I roast that I find it hard to drink coffee prepared by anyone else, including the majority of coffee shops. At the office I use the Aeropress, at home it’s Chemex or French Press. Always with a freshly roasted and preferably just ground bean. It’s a hassle but I wouldn’t have it any other way. The coffee is just so much better and I look forward to it every day. I’ve lived this way for 7 years and don’t see it ever changing.

This is very true. At least it's way cheaper to roll your own!

LostArra

WKR

^^^True
Home roasting spoiled my whole family.

Voyageur

WKR
Reading this thread has been fun. The aspect of coffee that captivates so many of us is that once you start down the coffee rabbit hole it branches off in so many directions.....brew methods, origin of beans, roasting, drinking container shape and composition, and on and on and on....Which one is right or best? This thread is proof that, based on your own personal preferences, they all are.
Good stuff. Keep it coming.

2rsquared

Lil-Rokslider
Hope you all don't mind me reviving an old thread, but I came across this French Press on Amazon and thought I would mention it here.

61z4dUaJ15L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Stanley Adventure All-in-One, Boil + Brewer French Press Coffee Maker

I really like my Stanley cook set and this looks similar. I also bring along a French Press for coffee (forget name), however it is plastic and adds extra bulk to my pack. I am thinking that I could ditch the Stanley cook set and extra plastic French Press and simply use this Stanley French Press to pull double duty.

It has great reviews on Amazon, but was wondering if any coffee drinkin' Roksliders had any first hand experience with this French Press.