Help me with InReach

Specifically asking about the mini..

I kinda feel dumb for asking, but I havent been able to see any videos or anything to answer my questions, and the manual doesnt seem to be much help either.

And I haven't activated it yet because I don't have a hunt coming up until next month, so I haven't gotten to play around with it. Hoping you guys can give me a simple rundown..

1) Once connected to my phone, do I send and receive messages through the Earthmate app? The app/inreach unit has its own number, so if someone needs to get a hold of me, they text that number? And the inreach will alert me if I have a message, and then I read it in the app? And each one I send and receive that way costs me money?

2) I get 3 preset messages with an already predetermined recipient for that message, and those are free - but what happens when the recipient replies to it?

3) Does my location get sent to the recipient? If a friend has an inreach (or cell service), can I text him and say "i am here"

4) If I'm somewhere that has cell service, then I can just send and receive messages normally through my regular phone messaging, right?

If anyone knows of a good video that runs through all this stuff, post a link and I'd love to watch it.

I'm sure I will have more questions, so thanks in advance!

jmez

WKR
1. Yes to all
2. Yes, then reply is charged
3. Yes but you have to have location enabled in the app.
4. Yes

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Jmez nailed it.

Start early as there is a learning curve. Use your free quick texts to test and have people reply to test both ways

My first unit was defective. Once replaced and I learned how to uses it, I love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vandy321

WKR
Re: #2...You can log into the inreach online and edit your presets texts as well. If you don't always want to pay for the higher message plans, you can maybe get by making the pre-sets a little more generic/multi-purpose

Examples:
1. At Camp / Leaving Camp
I send as a checkin twice each day. Also let's folks know where you camped (if location enabled)
2. Checking in, doing great.
Send throughout the day if I head in a direction not in accordance with the original plan, leaves breadcrumbs in case of emergency or they don't hear from me.
3. Delayed, but everything is OK
Self explanitory. Reserved for if I said I'd checkin from camp after dark or that I was headed down or something and I'm a bit behind schedule, alleviates the worrying.

Each preset sent also gives the receiver a text message with a map and coords to where message was sent from (if location enabled), as well as allowing them to respond to that text and it goes right back to your inreach address/thread.

cnelk

WKR
My pre-set messages say something like this

Checking in. All ok no need to reply
[thats clue for them not to start a conversation]

Hi all ok - reply to this number for emergencies

Also, Be sure to tell your loved ones that they have 160 characters in each message and fill it up on every message. They can even abbreviate.

Dont forget to make your quick messages too [different from pre-set]

muddydogs

WKR
1) Once connected to my phone, do I send and receive messages through the Earthmate app? The app/inreach unit has its own number, so if someone needs to get a hold of me, they text that number? And the inreach will alert me if I have a message, and then I read it in the app? And each one I send and receive that way costs me money?

2) I get 3 preset messages with an already predetermined recipient for that message, and those are free - but what happens when the recipient replies to it?

3) Does my location get sent to the recipient? If a friend has an inreach (or cell service), can I text him and say "i am here"

4) If I'm somewhere that has cell service, then I can just send and receive messages normally through my regular phone messaging, right?

If anyone knows of a good video that runs through all this stuff, post a link and I'd love to watch it.

1) Once connected to my phone, do I send and receive messages through the Earthmate app?
Either the app or Inreach unit, phone app is easiest.
The app/inreach unit has its own number, so if someone needs to get a hold of me, they text that number? They reply to the text message, the number will not work if given to another person to use. I even tried to enter the number into my phone and send a message which didn't go through but worked when replying to message.
And the inreach will alert me if I have a message, and then I read it in the app? And each one I send and receive that way costs me money? Yes you will get a phone alert, be aware that the Mini only checks for messages once an hour so if your expecting a message manually check. You can read the message with the app or Inreach unit. Yep each message cost you a whole $.50 after you burn up the messages that come with what ever plan you choose.

2) I get 3 preset messages with an already predetermined recipient for that message, and those are free - but what happens when the recipient replies to it? 3 preset messages, you can customize the messages and recipients. Replies cost you a message.

3) Does my location get sent to the recipient? If a friend has an inreach (or cell service), can I text him and say "i am here" Yes, you can set this feature to on but turn it off when sending each message if you don't want someone to know your location.

4) If I'm somewhere that has cell service, then I can just send and receive messages normally through my regular phone messaging, right? Ya right. The inreach unit uses it's own text message deal so if you want to send a text from your phone just send it like usual.

My advice would be to stop being cheap and activate your unit. Send a few messages, explore the web site and Inreach unit so you have it all figured out before you need to use it. Subscribe to the cheapest freedom plan and just pay the $.50 per message over 10 messages.

T28w

WKR
Like other said. Make sure it is actually working before leaving. I tested mine and it was working but I figured out after the first day that only messages sent on the inreach were being received. On the app I could type the messages and send, the inreach unit would acknowledge a message was being sent and chime it was sent, app should it was sent and time stamp it but messages were never received by three diff people I wanted to stay in contact with. Not sure why this happened and just had to type messages out on the inreach which is a pain but better than nothing.

I have Verizon not att as I know they had some issues with att

ScottB

FNG

I kinda feel dumb for asking, but I havent been able to see any videos or anything to answer my questions, and the manual doesnt seem to be much help either.

And I haven't activated it yet because I don't have a hunt coming up until next month, so I haven't gotten to play around with it. Hoping you guys can give me a simple rundown..

1. Yes or use the device by itself, yes, the device has it's own address and other can respond or send you messages via responding to your message sent from the devise through email. Each message will count towards your total messages except preset messages.
2. Yes, but you can also adjust the preset messages to say what you want. All replies will either cost you or will go towards the total message allowance you have.
3. Yes and you can send message to other in reach devices. You will just need the device email address
4. yes

Rob5589

WKR
Activate it now and start playing with it. It's easy once you get the hang of it. My one big issue is the Earthmate app connection. It drops frequently and won't reconnect. Not sure what the deal is. You can text straight from the Mini but it is cumbersome.

OP
cornfedkiller
Thank you to everyone for the help! That all makes sense.

The app/inreach unit has its own number, so if someone needs to get a hold of me, they text that number? They reply to the text message, the number will not work if given to another person to use. I even tried to enter the number into my phone and send a message which didn't go through but worked when replying to message.

Interesting. So how do I text a friends inreach? He can't just give me his inreach's number and I send him a message?

muddydogs

WKR
Thank you to everyone for the help! That all makes sense.

Interesting. So how do I text a friends inreach? He can't just give me his inreach's number and I send him a message?

Inreach to Inreach you use your Inreach email, the email handle you used to create your account @ inreach.garmin.com. And no for some reason you can not send a normal email to this address it only works from another Inreach.

To any Inreach employee's that may read this.
I like the Inreach but come on why can't I send an email from any computer to an inreach unit using the Inreach email address or text an Inreach from any phone using a number assigned to my Inreach. These two items would take the Inreach from very good to fantastic, if you change the Mini message check interval to anything less then an hour as well.

dla

WKR
At home from a computer, correct? You can't just change them on the fly when you are out hunting I assume..
There are some things you need to take care of from your phone while you have Internet access:
  1. Locate another InReach. This feature allows you to find your buddy's InReach without him having to respond. But you can only do this from his mapshare page.
  2. Change preset messages.
  3. Clear your track,waypoint, route, message logs from your mapshare page.
  4. Sync changes to your Mini.
  5. Change access to your mapshare page.
And you need a windows/macos computer to update the firmware on your mini - can't do it from the phone.

And you and your buddy need to remember that the default message check time on the Mini is one hour. I'd you want faster, then you have to initiate a check manually.

Did you find an answer? If not, go to backpacking light. You might have to pay for a memevership to access this.

How to Use the Garmin inReach​

The guys here that do reviews aren’t hooking you up to their affiliate pages. So the reviews and classes are unbiased.

You shouldn’t feel dumb. It took me awhile to find good solid info. One thing I’d recommend is BackpackingLight.com the course, the reviews are not biased.

How to Use the Garmin inReach​

In this masterclass, you’ll learn about:
  1. The Garmin inReach Ecosystem
  2. Setup & Activation Process & Issues
  3. How Sync Works: inReach Device, Garmin Express, inReach Sync, Earthmate, and Explore
  4. How to Use the inReach on a Trip
  5. GPS, Navigation, and Trip Planning
  6. Messaging
You have to pay but for the information I’ve attained there it’s been worth it!

OP
cornfedkiller
Finally got around to activating my inReach and playing around with it, as I now need it for an upcoming trip..

I have a couple more questions..

InReach to inReach communication - I am able to send a message to my partners inReach, and he has his location enabled, so when I pull the message up on the Earthmate app on my phone, there is a little green waypoint next to his message. When I click on it however, it brings me to a map in safari, which I'm assuming isn't going to work when I don't have wifi/cell service.

I can see his coordinates and type them into onX or something, but there has to be a better way to see his location?