Help me with my fortunate situation/deciding where to go.

tawood

FNG
Hi All,
I'm a long time Michigan predator hunter (fox, coyote, bobcat--although I've never gotten the latter), who is ready to expand my hunts a bit. A little about me: I'm very fortunate to have a job/business that pays really well, a job/business that gives me lots of time off, a pilot's license, and my own airplane. I've never predator hunted (or actually hunted anything) outside of Michigan, but I've decided its about time I do!
I've taken a week off the second week of January, and I'm looking to hop in my plane, and head west for some coyote (or?) hunting. I really only have a couple of limitations:
1) I'd like to hunt somewhere within a single day, during daylight, flight time away. From my home in Michigan, that would put me as far west as anywhere in ND, SD, NE, or most of KS, or southwest to AR.
2) I need to land at cities with rental car companies. This might not sound like a big deal, but my initial research shows this is a much bigger deal than I had originally anticipated. For example, only 4 cities in SD have reliable rental car places, 3 in KS, and only 2 in NE. I say "reliable" because of my third limitation which follows.
3) Because I'm flying a plane, and not an airliner, in the winter, weather can sometimes be a significant factor. I can always flex my days off, so that would mean flexing my rental car days (which shouldn't be a huge deal), but also means flexing my hunting days. This will probably force me to public accessible land, as trying to arrange hunting dates on private land/or guided hunts on a flexible schedule would be nearly impossible.

So, given the above, where would you go? Right now, I'm leaning towards South Dakota for only one reason: I've been there a few times in the summer, and I know my way around a little. But, if the hunting were much better somewhere else, I'm open to suggestions, and I wouldn't mind a new adventure. Not to mention, I'll probably take another week off in February and do it again, but to somewhere else. Thanks to all in advance...
Tim

Last edited:
OP
tawood

tawood

FNG
I know one guy that shoots them from his plane....for the state of AK and ranchers in AZ. No rental car needed.....grin

He flies a super cub though...I'm assuming you are talking something like a 206
Years ago I had a Taylorcraft…you could fly it with the door off, which would make it a great shooting platform. But with a top speed of 85 mph, it would take me almost as long as driving to get out west.