Help me with my pack weight

archp625

WKR
I'm going on a 6 day backpack hunt for spring black bears. Here is my gear list. Give me some suggestions.

NumberWeight/UnitTotalCals/UnitTotal Cals/day
Mountain House Meals65.130.6460460
Twizzlers62.515240240
Snickers62.0712.42250250
Honey Stingers61.27.2150150
Monster Trail Mix6530700700
Packaroons71.07120120
Justins Peanutbutter packets121.1513.8210420
6" Flour Tortillas121.113.290180
Cliff bars62.515250250
Almond Butter Biscuits61.48.4190190
Black Rifle Instant Coffee120.11.200
Bearnaked Granola Bites51.47160160
Total Oz160.82Total Cals/day3120
Total Pounds10.05125
Pounds per day1.68

ItemWeight (oz)
Kifaru Reckoning Pack115
Thermarest z seat2.1
Nalgene water bottle6.3
Bear spray12
1 Liter of Water35.27
Sleep system
WM Badger Bag43.3
S2S Pillow2.1
Thermarest pad16
Shelter system
SE Cimarron Lite43.8
Borah Tarp7.45
Cook system
Snow peak Ti pot25.1
Kifaru Large Pull out
S2S spork
8 oz isobutane
MSR pocket rocket 2
Mini Bic Lighter
Water system system
Sawyer Squeeze7.0
Kifaru Medium Pullout
Hydrapak 2 L
Optics system
Sirui Tripod45.2
Maven 15-45 spotter45.4
Outdoorsman Adapter3.4
Possibles system
BD Storm Headlamp4.1
4 AAA batteries1.6
First Aid Kit7.0
Dark energy Poseidon Pro w/ cords9.4
Zoleo5.6
Toilet Paper5.5
50 ft of paracord3
Ammo Wallet 10 rounds11.0
Fire system
Pyro Putty3.6
Small Kifaru Pullout
Mini Bic Lighter
Backup matches
Kill Kit system
Tyto knife with extra blades16.2
Black Ovis game bags
Pen w/electrical tape wrapped around it
Kifaru Medium Pullout bag
2 pairs Latex gloves
Clothes system packed in bag
1 pair ice breaker boxers3.3
1 pair of socks Smartwool light hiker2.4
Sitka Grey Puffy Coat29.0
Sitka SA Traverse Gloves1.7
Sitka SA Blizzard Mitts w/o liner just shell4.1
Sitka SA Flash Pullover8.6
First Lite Green Klammath hoody14
TOTAL GEAR (oz)539.5233.72Pack Weight w/o Food (lbs)
TOTAL FOOD (oz)160.8210.05125Food weight (lbs)
Weapon Weight (oz)1579.8125Weapon Weight (lbs)
TOTAL carry weight (lbs)53.58375

Looking pretty good. Just knowing what everything weighs helps. Are grizzly bears a concern in the area that you are going? 12oz bear spray could be some weight lost. But, if it gives you piece of mind then leave it in! Did I miss binos? Or is that intentional? Maybe combine some kits to use fewer pull outs? Not much weight to shave there though.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Looking pretty good. Just knowing what everything weighs helps. Are grizzly bears a concern in the area that you are going? 12oz bear spray could be some weight lost. But, if it gives you piece of mind then leave it in! Did I miss binos? Or is that intentional? Maybe combine some kits to use fewer pull outs? Not much weight to shave there though.
Yes, the Unit we are hunting in is the Northern panhandle and there is a chance of grizzlies. I havent bought it yet so I could change that. I figure it was less weight than a pistol fully loaded.

I did not factor in Binos and harness. They will be on my chest and not in the pack.

Last edited:

300wmxcr2

FNG
To look at this a different way, most people are concerned about dropping 6 ounce from their pack weight or 2 ounces from their rifle.
I go on a diet and train before hunting season and can drop between 5 and 7 lbs, yes get fat over the winter.
That 7lbs comes right off your full carry weight, weight that needs to be moved from point A to point B. 7lbs less on your legs and feet makes a huge difference when climbing hills or even on the trail. Can you imagine what people would pay to lighten their gear by 7lbs.
Yes I do try and keep my gear as light as possible, total pack weight for 6 days is about 55lbs, but I dont worry over a couple of ounces.
And that my 2 cents.

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
System looks pretty good but you could make some tweaks. I didn't see trekking poles and my guess is you'll use them as your shelter center pole. Also, drop down to a 4oz isobutane canister. Should be plenty for 2 boils a day x 6 days at altitude. I don't take extra batteries cause I put a fresh set in my headlight right before I go. It's splitting hairs and only saves maybe 3-4 oz but dump the P cord and pick up some Lash it/Zing it. 650lb breaking strength and lighter. You could loose the extra boxers because even after changing out you're still gonna smell like ass anyway. Also pick either a shell or the pullover, probably not going to need booth.
Yes you can certainly loose body weight to accomplish the same savings but why not try to get your body weight down AND reduce pack weight? Just my thoughts and I'm sure somebody will disagree with me.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
System looks pretty good but you could make some tweaks. I didn't see trekking poles and my guess is you'll use them as your shelter center pole. Also, drop down to a 4oz isobutane canister. Should be plenty for 2 boils a day x 6 days at altitude. I don't take extra batteries cause I put a fresh set in my headlight right before I go. It's splitting hairs and only saves maybe 3-4 oz but dump the P cord and pick up some Lash it/Zing it. 650lb breaking strength and lighter. You could loose the extra boxers because even after changing out you're still gonna smell like ass anyway. Also pick either a shell or the pullover, probably not going to need booth.
Yes you can certainly loose body weight to accomplish the same savings but why not try to get your body weight down AND reduce pack weight? Just my thoughts and I'm sure somebody will disagree with me.
Yes you are correct, I have trekking poles that I use. They wont go in my pack. They will also be combined as my center pole for my shelter.

The 4 oz makes me nervous. I did a experiment this weekend and boiled 500 mL and reweighed my gas. I basically burn 0.3 oz to get the water to a rolling boil. Im at about 850 in elevation. Do you think hunting in 4-6000 will make that much difference?

I will for sure have a fresh set put in before I go. I just worry that they could die and I would be screwed if I need to navigate at night. I like to use my headlamp at camp to cook.

I will for sure check out the Lash it/Zing it.

I think you are right about the boxers. This may be gross but it seems like everytime I go on a hunt I bring all these close and extra this and that and never actually wear them.

The flash is only if it rains. The Klammath is more of a in between layer between a sitka lightweight shirt and my sitka puffy.

I am in the process of loosing weight and working out. I am eating super low carb now and go the elliptical every other night increasing by a half mile each week.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Ur spot on. Nearly identical to my packing list just different brands.
Thanks I know I can improve on a few things but that cost $$$$. I could go to a lighter shelter like a Eolus or Silex. I also feel like I could drop some weight and get a stone glacier puffy. I haven't crunched the numbers but IM guessing I could drop 2-3 pounds possibly. It just adds up fast. I have never put number until this trip. I just went. Now I am starting to see ozs add up quick.

Slugz

WKR
Thanks I know I can improve on a few things but that cost $$$$. I could go to a lighter shelter like a Eolus or Silex. I also feel like I could drop some weight and get a stone glacier puffy. I haven't crunched the numbers but IM guessing I could drop 2-3 pounds possibly. It just adds up fast. I have never put number until this trip. I just went. Now I am starting to see ozs add up quick.
Yeah Ive rode this merry go round a few times and each time I think I can make it better I still end up in the 28 to 33lb range.

Like others have said. The more I work out the less I notice it. Im 51 and I wanna do this another 25 years so anything to save the knees is worth it.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Yeah Ive rode this merry go round a few times and each time I think I can make it better I still end up in the 28 to 33lb range.

Like others have said. The more I work out the less I notice it. Im 51 and I wanna do this another 25 years so anything to save the knees is worth it.
I appreciate the detail response. Really makes me think about a few things for sure.

My plan is to get into the best shape I can between now and May 23th. I know I can drop another 10 pounds by then off my body.

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
Yes you are correct, I have trekking poles that I use. They wont go in my pack. They will also be combined as my center pole for my shelter.

The 4 oz makes me nervous. I did a experiment this weekend and boiled 500 mL and reweighed my gas. I basically burn 0.3 oz to get the water to a rolling boil. Im at about 850 in elevation. Do you think hunting in 4-6000 will make that much difference?

I will for sure have a fresh set put in before I go. I just worry that they could die and I would be screwed if I need to navigate at night. I like to use my headlamp at camp to cook.

I will for sure check out the Lash it/Zing it.

I think you are right about the boxers. This may be gross but it seems like everytime I go on a hunt I bring all these close and extra this and that and never actually wear them.

The flash is only if it rains. The Klammath is more of a in between layer between a sitka lightweight shirt and my sitka puffy.

I am in the process of loosing weight and working out. I am eating super low carb now and go the elliptical every other night increasing by a half mile each week.
I can get 8-10 days out of 4 oz but I don't ever take my water to boil. Get it to the point where i see the little bubbles forming and call it good.
Good luck on the trip.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
I can get 8-10 days out of 4 oz but I don't ever take my water to boil. Get it to the point where i see the little bubbles forming and call it good.
Good luck on the trip.
Ok I still have some time to think it over.

Appreciate it.

Last edited:
OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
That's pretty good for 6 days and a 10 lb gun. On a different note, how you like that Maven CS.1 spotter????
So far so good. They only thing I have to compare it to is a Vortex spotter I had. I liked the vortex but decided to get rid of all vortex items. The cs.1 fit the Bill on weight and price. I will know more after my late may hunt.

I get by with quality binoculars and using my sissy sticks for glassing. I've never packed a tripod and spotter for bear. Saves a lot of weight but depending on the country could see why you might bring it. That and my rifle is 3# less. And I'd likely have a bottle of decent bourbon. As others have said get in decent shape, and depending how far you're hoofing in a pound here or there won't make that much difference.

Those Twizzlers are going to be a problem for you. Swap them out for Red Vines and you will reduce weight and increase your caloric content...

Seriously though, your list looks thorough and there’s no obvious weakness. You could save a couple pounds total on your sleeping bag and shelter, but those are expensive items to upgrade for one trip. If you can get by with less power you could trade the auxiliary battery for one of those little sticks you can get at a drugstore. Everything else looks like an incremental upgrade that’s expensive, saves only a couple ounces and may not be right for the trip.

Jimbob

WKR
Sitka puffy at 29 oz is heavy, what kind of temps are you expecting. My go-to puffy is a montbell ul parka at 9 oz.

Why the battery and zoleo? What do you need to charge? Only going 6 days you shouldn't need much on extra power.

I like to bring some dried-out baby wipes, great for toilet paper or a sponge bath.

Enjoy the trip.

mcndrew

FNG
Use a Gatorade/Power Aid 1L bottle instead of a 1L Nalgene.
—Save 5.2 oz, but lose a container that can handle boiling water. Cost: 2$
Do you need toilet paper?
—Save 5.5 oz, but have to use sun warmed and stream smoothed rocks, or moss. Cost: 0

Last edited: