Help me with my pack weight

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It’s gonna be wet. Make sure your prepared to huddle under a shelter for hours on end... and the storms can roll in quick. I would make sure the tarp stays with you every day.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Sitka puffy at 29 oz is heavy, what kind of temps are you expecting. My go-to puffy is a montbell ul parka at 9 oz.

Why the battery and zoleo? What do you need to charge? Only going 6 days you shouldn't need much on extra power.

I like to bring some dried-out baby wipes, great for toilet paper or a sponge bath.

Enjoy the trip.
I agree, I was just talking to my brother about this last night. He bought a stone glacier puffy last year at 17 oz and loves it Super warm and super packable. I would love to get a new puffy. As for temps. Its liable to get down to the 30's at night.

The zoleo is for communicating to my wife. She is pregnant and its piece of mind for her. The battery will be used to charge it and cell phone (basemap gps).

Good idea on the dried out baby wipes.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Use a Gatorade/Power Aid 1L bottle instead of a 1L Nalgene.
—Save 5.2 oz, but lose a container that can handle boiling water. Cost: 2$
Do you need toilet paper?
—Save 5.5 oz, but have to use sun warmed and stream smoothed rocks, or moss. Cost: 0
Like the idea of the Gatorade bottle. But come on man, really moss to wipe my butt.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
It’s gonna be wet. Make sure your prepared to huddle under a shelter for hours on end... and the storms can roll in quick. I would make sure the tarp stays with you every day.
Do you think I need to get a better rain coat? The one I have is good for light rain for shorter periods of time.

HZJ73

FNG
There's some optimization to be found in your food.

For instance your twizzlers are very calorie inefficient for their weight. Same with the Clif bars.

You can repackage the Mountain House meals into freezer bags and save about 17g each, IIRC.

Jimbob

WKR
I agree, I was just talking to my brother about this last night. He bought a stone glacier puffy last year at 17 oz and loves it Super warm and super packable. I would love to get a new puffy. As for temps. Its liable to get down to the 30's at night.

The zoleo is for communicating to my wife. She is pregnant and its piece of mind for her. The battery will be used to charge it and cell phone (basemap gps).

Good idea on the dried out baby wipes.
Brain cramp, in my head I was thinking the zoleo was a goal zero solar panel charger. I bring an inreach on every trip with me and it's worth the weight.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Brain cramp, in my head I was thinking the zoleo was a goal zero solar panel charger. I bring an inreach on every trip with me and it's worth the weight.
No harm at all. I like to post my pack on here so others can tear it apart. I have already got a few good ideas to decrease the weight of my pack without spending a ton of money.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
There's some optimization to be found in your food.

For instance your twizzlers are very calorie inefficient for their weight. Same with the Clif bars.

You can repackage the Mountain House meals into freezer bags and save about 17g each, IIRC.
I always operated under the 1 oz/100 cals. I can for sure change the my food up. What are some other snack suggestions to push the cals per weight?

I always operated under the 1 oz/100 cals. I can for sure change the my food up. What are some other snack suggestions to push the cals per weight?
If you like fatty foods they're typically the most calorie dense. Most of the foods i bring are about 150 cals/oz. I really like those perfect peanut butter bars and you could bring coconut oil or butter to add to your freeze dried meals and drop some of the less calorie dense stuff if you're in to that. I also like to crush up potato chips and vac seal them too. Your weapon, sleeping bag and puffy seem a bit heavy to me but as another guy said that's not cheap weight to lose so id say you're lookin pretty dialed in to me. I know your pillow is only like 2 oz but i usually just shove my puffy layers into the stuff sack for my sleeping bag. If you're solo you could definitely get a silex too, they're pretty cheap far as shelters go unless you get dyneema

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Give this PDF your eyeballs: https://www.mediafire.com/file/vi338xhh4695f1b/Hiker_Food_Chart_%28Na%29.pdf/file

made by this youtuber:

I personally strive for 125 calories an ounce average. Any higher of an average and there's too much fat for my liking.

Carbs and protein are both 4 calories per gram. Fats 9 calories per gram.
Holy smokes man. This was the best 52 minutes of my life. I am for sure going to to change somethings up on my food section.

This was the best food video I have ever seen. Thanks again.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
If you like fatty foods they're typically the most calorie dense. Most of the foods i bring are about 150 cals/oz. I really like those perfect peanut butter bars and you could bring coconut oil or butter to add to your freeze dried meals and drop some of the less calorie dense stuff if you're in to that. I also like to crush up potato chips and vac seal them too. Your weapon, sleeping bag and puffy seem a bit heavy to me but as another guy said that's not cheap weight to lose so id say you're lookin pretty dialed in to me. I know your pillow is only like 2 oz but i usually just shove my puffy layers into the stuff sack for my sleeping bag. If you're solo you could definitely get a silex too, they're pretty cheap far as shelters go unless you get dyneema
Another member posted an awesome video. I am going to rework some food options. I agree on weapon, sleeping bag, and puffy. My weapon is what it is. CA Ridgeline in a Manners EH1 stock with nx8 and atlas bipod. Kinda hard to leave that behind.

The option of getting a single tent is for sure there. The silex or eolus would for sure save me weight My brother and I are going so having the Cimarron is a must for two people.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Do you think I need to get a better rain coat? The one I have is good for light rain for shorter periods of time.

A decent lightweight rain fly or tarp, and a rain coat and you should be good to go. I also always carry one or two black trash bags in my pack. Cant say I’ve never ended up wearing one. Obviously not breathable at all, but dry.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
A decent lightweight rain fly or tarp, and a rain coat and you should be good to go. I also always carry one or two black trash bags in my pack. Cant say I’ve never ended up wearing one. Obviously not breathable at all, but dry.
Excellent idea. Also if it gets too bad I can always pitch my tent pretty fast and get inside.

Another member posted an awesome video. I am going to rework some food options. I agree on weapon, sleeping bag, and puffy. My weapon is what it is. CA Ridgeline in a Manners EH1 stock with nx8 and atlas bipod. Kinda hard to leave that behind.

The option of getting a single tent is for sure there. The silex or eolus would for sure save me weight My brother and I are going so having the Cimarron is a must for two people.
My buddy and i did sleep in my silex on one leg of our spring bear adventure last year and its do able but we concluded the cimarron was worth the extra weight lol

bsnedeker

WKR
So a floorless shelter in the panhandle in springtime...make sure EVERYTHING you are taking with you is treated with permethrin.

bsnedeker

WKR
Is it that bad. Honest question?
There are just lots and lots of ticks to contend with that time of year. Also, if you are going later in season mosquitos can be nasty. I know for a fact of ton of guys run floorless shelters year round so people deal with it. If you treat your pack and clothes and sleeping bag and everything with permethrin you probably don't have too much to worry about. I just prefer an enclosed shelter when I'm out in the spring/early summer.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
There are just lots and lots of ticks to contend with that time of year. Also, if you are going later in season mosquitos can be nasty. I know for a fact of ton of guys run floorless shelters year round so people deal with it. If you treat your pack and clothes and sleeping bag and everything with permethrin you probably don't have too much to worry about. I just prefer an enclosed shelter when I'm out in the spring/early summer.
Thanks for the heads up. Does the spray ruin any fabrics? Mostly concerned with shelter and sleeping bag?

bsnedeker

WKR
Thanks for the heads up. Does the spray ruin any fabrics? Mostly concerned with shelter and sleeping bag?
I've never had any issues with it, but it's a good idea to try it out on a small piece of the fabric first before you commit to hitting the entire thing.