Help me with peep hole size please.

KBC

WKR
I need a smaller peep. Currently have a 3/16 but even when I run the dovetail as short as possible I still see a gap around my sight housing ring. What size would you guys recommend for a hunting and target bow?
Here’s the bow specs and a pic of where I’ve normally got my dovetail set;
Axius ultra just over 70lbs
Set at 30” DL but it’s actually about 29.75
Sight is a black gold mountain light I put on a 6” dovetail.
Thanks bow gurus!

Attachments

• D643BE54-4539-44A9-B403-A34906CF0ECB.jpeg
    D643BE54-4539-44A9-B403-A34906CF0ECB.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 32

Marble

WKR
I would move my sight in. That slider is made for that. It may even improve the way your bow holds by moving some weight back.

If you do want to change, you can get a podium peep with different apertures and change them to whatever you like.

Also, try shooting in low light. It may shrink that gap a little.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Tatanka17

FNG
Check out Raptor peeps. They have the greatest variety in sizes that I know of. It would also probably help to move your sight in a couple clicks on the dovetail.

4rcgoat

WKR
Not sure I would go less than 3/16 for hunting, harder to see clearly in low light conditions. I'd move the sight in.

OP
K

KBC

WKR
Even when I run it as short as possible there’s still a decent sized gap.

I'm wondering if your peep is too low on the string? A 3/16 should fit with the sight close to the riser.

A good test is to close your eyes, draw, set your anchor points then open up your eyes. Are you aligned or do you need to move your peep up?

OP
K

KBC

WKR
My peep is a bit higher than most of my friends bows. I set the height the way you described.

sndmn11

WKR
Heck, I'd go bigger! A little gap around the peep doesn't hurt one bit, I think it is ideal. It lets you center the sight fully since you can see the edge of the ring. That is the reason why some spot Hogg sights have multiple rings; you can see the termination point of the ring rather than trying to center only a portion of the ring.

I went the other way last year. 3/16” was pretty tight to the sight ring. In poor light with older eyes It was getting harder to use. Went to a 1/4” peep with a fair bit of clearance. Seems to be OK on accuracy and certainly let’s the light in. Wouldn’t compete in 3D with it but like it for hunting. In my case anyway, I just naturally center the circles without thinking about it.

rclouse79

WKR
I downsized my peep on my last bow so the housing would just fit in my view. It was fine, but it was hard to shoot if my string rotated at all and wasn’t as good in low light. I started to hear a lot about guys shooting no peep lately. On my new bow I decided to split the difference and go with a bigger peep. I am shooting about as good as I ever have right now. Your eye will naturally center your housing without a second thought.
In the past I feel like I put too much effort into being ultra precise shooting at a dot at 20 yards in my backyard with good light. The setup that is best for that might not be the best setup for when the animal of your dreams walks in front of you during the last five minutes of shooting light.

OP
K

KBC

WKR
Maybe I’ll put a specialty archery 3/16 peep in and play around with apertures for it. I shoot a lot of 3D late in the evening so I should get a good idea of how it works in low light.

Get a host of different sizes and test them out. I’m not a fan of any peeps that have screw-in apertures, so I just spend the $20 on buying multiple cheapo apex peeps in different sizes