HELP! Mystery Ranch Fitment Issue - Guide Light MT

macabra11

FNG
I will be going elk hunting for the first time this year, and I just got my first "real" pack - 2020 MR Pintler on the new Guide Light MT frame. I am 6'3", 255 lbs (lots of padding, but working on it), with a 22" torso length. I ordered the XL size pack.

I watched all the fitting videos and read all the fitment tips, loaded up the pack with 25lbs of weight, but no matter what I do, I can't seem to get the load lifters up to where they give that 45º angle. I've called and emailed MR a couple times now, and followed their guidance, but it's not seeming to make a difference. My last attempt involved me extending the yoke all the way to MAX, and that actually felt the best on my back/hip/shoulders. But the load lifters still aren't up by my ears, and I don't see how they ever would be.

I am wearing my hip belt around my fat tire so that the middle of the belt is on top of my iliac crest. This is way higher than where I wear my pants, but I'm following all the guidance MR gave me.

This pack was already more than I ever anticipated spending on a pack that I would use a few times a year (at most) on day hunts only. I have no interest in doing backpacking hunts or spending the $600+ for a Kifaru, SG, etc. I really like the setup of the Pintler and how I'd use it, but if it's not going to provide a noticeable benefit, then I might give up on it.

Pics for reference. NOTE: These pics were taken with yoke at 22" setting. Since then I moved the yoke up to MAX (which feels better), but the load lifters aren't really any higher than what you see here.

Attachments

• IMG_7587.jpg
    IMG_7587.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_7591.jpg
    IMG_7591.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_7588.jpg
    IMG_7588.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_7590.jpg
    IMG_7590.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 136
OP
macabra11

macabra11

FNG
Have you tried sliding those clips on the load lifters closer to your shoulders?
Yes, they are now slide down as far as they can go (per MR instruction). All that seemed to do was change the pull/pressure point I feel on the shoulder strap.

It's like I need a frame extension JUST for the load lifters. I can adjust the yoke/straps all day long, but the height of the frame is fixed.

Yes, they are now slide down as far as they can go (per MR instruction). All that seemed to do was change the pull/pressure point I feel on the shoulder strap.

It's like I need a frame extension JUST for the load lifters. I can adjust the yoke/straps all day long, but the height of the frame is fixed.

And you're sure that's the right yoke height? I'm 6'6" and I think I set mine at like 21inches. I'm just asking the same question I did because I just went through this recently too I did find that it helped to put a little weight in the pack too.

I feel like your waist belt could come up a bit higher to rest towards the top of your hips, mine rides pretty high. If you can’t get it to adjust right you might want to look into a pop up 38, the top of the frame extends a lot higher than the guide light frame.

OP
macabra11

macabra11

FNG
And you're sure that's the right yoke height? I'm 6'6" and I think I set mine at like 21inches. I'm just asking the same question I did because I just went through this recently too I did find that it helped to put a little weight in the pack too.
Yes both the waist belt and yoke say XL on them. Do you happen to have a pic of you with your pack on? I’ve heard of lots of tall guys just loving these MR packs, so I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong.

OP
macabra11

macabra11

FNG
I feel like your waist belt could come up a bit higher to rest towards the top of your hips, mine rides pretty high. If you can’t get it to adjust right you might want to look into a pop up 38, the top of the frame extends a lot higher than the guide light frame.
Does your waist belt top come to the bottoms of your ribs?
The only thing about the popup series is the load capacity being rated to 80 lbs, and the hip belt looks much less substantial. 🤷‍♂️

Does your waist belt top come to the bottoms of your ribs?
The only thing about the popup series is the load capacity being rated to 80 lbs, and the hip belt looks much less substantial. 🤷‍♂️

When the pack is empty the top of the belt for sure touches the bottom of my rib cage just a bit. Of course I’m sure our torsos are different, I’m 5’10. I believe one of the changes they made to the 2020 pop ups was a beefier belt. I used to have a selway 60 and my pop up 28 belt feels just as padded and robust to me. They probably won’t comfortably handle huge loads as well but they are certainly more comfortable the other 90% of the time. There should be a way for that guide light to work though as very tall and big people use them all the time.

Eastern Elk Pursuit

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same frame. The pic where you are facing left the shoulder straps should not have that air gap like that. Start from the very beginning. Loosen all straps on the pack. Load 25 pounds in it. Strap that in tight. Now put it on and see if it removes that air gap. If it does not no problem. It seems counterintuitive but at that point use the plastic piece to break the Velcro and move the yoke down. Repeat the process till you get a good 45 degree angle. On the belt the mt does come less around the front of the hips than the old guide lite. If you need to you can unvelcro the pads and move them forward about an inch on each side. Slide your hand in and pop the locks between the hip belt and the frame then unvelcro and move forward.

OP
macabra11

macabra11

FNG
OK, I shortened the pack yoke and played around with the placement of those load lifter buckles on the tops of the shoulder straps. I am not sure how much of a difference their position (all the way forward vs on top of my shoulder) really makes??? I think it changes the pressure point of where the shoulder straps pull into the front of my shoulders, but it's sorta hard to tell with only 25 lbs in the pack.

I also tried putting the hip belt up higher, and that seems to make more of a difference than anything.

First two photos are with yoke at 21". The second two photos are at 20".

I think my body is crooked, because there always seems to be MORE of a gap on the right side (me facing left).

Attachments

• IMG_7615.jpg
    IMG_7615.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_7617.jpg
    IMG_7617.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_7618.jpg
    IMG_7618.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_7619.jpg
    IMG_7619.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 72
I am about your size / weight and run an XL frame. My torso is adjusted about 2” shorter than the MR specs would suggest. I also run my sternum strap high. About an inch below my clavicle. Get someone to help you adjust the load lifter anchor points. They are not going to be as high as some packs but will work fine. Also try fitting with about 40# in the pack. That will give you a better sense of true fit.

Andrew11

Lil-Rokslider
The last 2 pics at 20" look pretty good to me. Looking a lot better than the first pics you posted. The more you wear it and experiment with loading it up you will get a better feel on where it should be and when it is not fit right. I set my frame for a lighter pack last hunting season. When I starting doing some weighted hikes this spring i noticed that i had to adjust it a bit to get that "right fit" for that extra weight in it.
Recommend you doing some hiking with it before your hunt, to get used to how it rides.

Yeah. I like the second set up better. The theoretical ideal for those loader lifters is 45* off the coronal / frontal plane. Mine just don’t get there. Probably 30*. But they work fine.

OP
macabra11

macabra11

FNG
The last 2 pics at 20" look pretty good to me. Looking a lot better than the first pics you posted. The more you wear it and experiment with loading it up you will get a better feel on where it should be and when it is not fit right. I set my frame for a lighter pack last hunting season. When I starting doing some weighted hikes this spring i noticed that i had to adjust it a bit to get that "right fit" for that extra weight in it.
Recommend you doing some hiking with it before your hunt, to get used to how it rides.
Oh I am definitely going to be doing weight training hikes with the pack before season starts. Currently I am in physical therapy/recovering from a back injury, so I have not been able to. As my back and core get stronger, I will start to incorporate the pack for training.

I assumed that I would need to adjust the yoke based on how much weight I am carrying, but wasn't sure how much. When I am able, I will start with the 25 lbs that are in there and move that up gradually. With my back issues, there's no way I'll be packing out large quantities by myself. I'll be hunting with two other guys that have been elk hunting their entire lives, so at least I will have some help if the deed goes down.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
Oh I am definitely going to be doing weight training hikes with the pack before season starts. Currently I am in physical therapy/recovering from a back injury, so I have not been able to. As my back and core get stronger, I will start to incorporate the pack for training.

I assumed that I would need to adjust the yoke based on how much weight I am carrying, but wasn't sure how much. When I am able, I will start with the 25 lbs that are in there and move that up gradually. With my back issues, there's no way I'll be packing out large quantities by myself. I'll be hunting with two other guys that have been elk hunting their entire lives, so at least I will have some help if the deed goes down.
You inspire me brother.
Keep up the spirit

OP
macabra11

macabra11

FNG
I agree that the MR packs probably could use some more frame height for taller guys, or at least have the option of ordering an extension like they used to have. But for the build quality, features, price point, and the fact that I've never packed an animal out on my back, I think I should give it a shot.

Having the hip belt higher seems to really help, but it'll take some getting used to (especially the buckle ABOVE my belly button). I will keep everyone posted with how it does when I am able to put more weight in it.