Help....Need Ideas for Tanned Elk Hide

wseidel

WKR
We had a successful hunt for elk last fall and I had my bull's hide tanned - in addition to making a European mount to display the antlers. I'm looking for ideas on how others have used their tanned leather...ways that have helped to preserve the memory of the hunt. In the past, I have used a tanned moose hide to make gloves and mittens - they bring back great memories every time I use them, by the way. So, if you have a few minutes, please share how you have helped to build memories with useful items made out of your tanned wild game hides. Most appreciated!

You must not be a biker as lots of options here, like the elk hide vest just done for me. Chaps,gloves,wallets jackets pants. That is some fine leather!!

You could make me a new sheath for a Gransforth Bruks hunters axe. Or send me a 10x10 inch chunk :).

Or make sheaths for your own stuff.

Obviously you tanned it hair off it sounds. Man a long sleeve shirt with a v-neck and a leather lace to snug up the v as appropriate sure would be great. If you tanned hair on put it over a railing on a stairway or banister. They look great displayed on a wall also with the hair on. Or over the back of a couch!

OP
W

wseidel

WKR
Yes, hair off so I can have more potential uses. My son had one done "hair on" three years ago and it hangs over a stairway rail.

You've given me a lot of options to consider...especially if I decide to ride a motorcycle again! Thanks...

OP
W

wseidel

WKR
Thanks again for the input and creative ideas. While on vacation in the Black Hills this past week, I had the opportunity to stop by a small leather shop near Lead, South Dakota (Trevino's Leather) and got some good ideas from the owner, Eli. He makes incredible vests and chaps...and as a result, I may attempt something on that order (i.e. vest/jacket). Interestingly, I also saw some artwork displayed in leather frames - all one piece with no seams. It was an interesting look for the right piece of art or photo. Finally, Eli Trevino and his wife, Julie, shared the source of their leather working tools and supplies (Tandy Leather) so I'll check them out as well. I hope this thread has helped others who might have the same questions regarding ideas for tanned leather hides. God bless...