Help Needed! Downhill Shooting Problems

Cfriend

FNG
Hello All,
I am having some significant issues with shooting downhill, and I am at the end of my rope about what to do. I'm heading to Colorado elk hunting in a couple weeks, and I am starting to get desperate.

I've been shooting all year in my yard, and I'm really confident in my set up - I am shooting well out to 60 yds with both broadheads and field points. However, on downhill shots of 30 and 40 yds (I haven't tried any farther) I am hitting to the right every single shot. I should also note, that I set my 3rd axis with a Hamskea level, so I think that is correct. The right impact is extremely consistent - I have probably shot over 100 downhill arrows over the past week and every single one is hitting right. I am also getting fairly good groups and hitting well vertically, but everything is to the right. At 30 yds I am about 1-3" right and at 40 probably 3"-6".

I am honestly at my wits end, I have tried adjusting my grip, my release hand angle, my level and it doesn't help. Also, I have tried shooting the same 30 and 40 yd shots uphill and had no issues - good groups and basically dead center. And like I said before, on flat ground I am shooting great to 60 yds - no issues with hitting right.

I would certainly appreciate any input you all might have - I am really anxious to get this worked out.

OP
C

Cfriend

FNG
A couple more details that might be relevant:

I have been drawing my bow level and bending at the waist, so I think my form is decent. Also, I am using both a kisser button and a nose button so I am pretty confident in my anchor point.

One thing I have noticed: I am shooting in the woods and in the evening so the lighting isn't great. This is making the edges of my peep sight basically invisible so it is hard to make sure it is lining up with my sight housing.

Another thing: I am wondering if my form is putting high torque on the bow and maybe this is exacerbated by the downhill angle. There are two things that make me wonder about this. By the time I got 3rd axis adjusted correctly my sight was very clearly tilted to one side (see picture below). I was thinking this maybe indicates I put a lot of torque into the bow (Although, I had my brother in law check it at full draw and he got the same results). Also, when I line up my string and my arrow, my sight pins are sitting well to the left - maybe another form issue? Like I said, my broad heads seem to be flying great and the bow paper tuned fine.

1629254339263.png

MT257

WKR
Is your sight bent or the windage bar pinched? Something doesn't look square in that picture...

Zac

WKR
Looks crooked to me as well. Another thing you may need checked is your draw length. Too long of a draw is famous for creating issues at angles.

Zac

WKR
Looks crooked to me as well. Another thing you may need checked is your draw length. Too long of a draw is famous for creating issues at angles. You also may want to try setting up the axis adjustments on something like a Bright Sight first before using the Hamskea tool. If the mounting surface is slightly off the Hamskea level will give you a false reading. Most of the time only small adjustments are needed from the shop type axis adjustments to the full draw version.

OP
C

Cfriend

FNG
Is your sight bent or the windage bar pinched? Something doesn't look square in that picture...
Nothing is bent - that is just how far I had to adjust the sight's 3rd axis in order to get the it level when I'm aiming down at an angle.

TraskI

Lil-Rokslider
With your site looking crooked I would be wondering about your leveling method. I have never used a Hamski level, so don't know how they work, but they look to have room for human error on set up to me. I would try a plumb Bob on a string while at full draw and check the string against your pins and site level. Just be careful where your arrow is pointing! This puts the flex of the bow and all the parts in line on a plumb plane.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zac
The sight looking crooked is the 3rd axis adjustment;

Did you re-level your 2nd axis after adjusting your 3rd?
You hitting to the right downhill is a tell-tale sign your 2nd/3rd isn't correct;

Edit for clarity: You level 2nd, set 3rd, recheck the 2nd axis level. It's a big pita. I drive somewhere I can shoot at least 40 yds steep downhill to make sure mine is solid, and bring my bow press/clamp to do leveling while I'm out.

OP
C

Cfriend

FNG
Looks crooked to me as well. Another thing you may need checked is your draw length. Too long of a draw is famous for creating issues at angles.
I've often wondered if my draw length is correct, although I've asked a couple bowshop guys about and they thought it was ok. Here I am at full draw, do you see any issues?
1629260153943.png

Marble

WKR
I've often wondered if my draw length is correct, although I've asked a couple bowshop guys about and they thought it was ok. Here I am at full draw, do you see any issues?
View attachment 317940
It looks ok but only you can say if you are comfortable.

Your 3rd is off. I've set both and then go shoot to confirm. Sometimes I've had to adjust it to make it correct in the field.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
Take your bow to the shop to have the sight leveled before you go changing anything major like draw length. My guess is that is going to get you very close. The Hamskea is used for target slider sights with a rail. I do not think you can trust the reading you are getting on that sight model. Same issue happened to me trying to fit the thing to my Fast Eddie. I didn't even need to shoot it, I could tell just by looking through the peep. Here's a fun video on draw length for you to ponder in the future.

Last edited:
View attachment 317940
I would set the 3rd axis back to square, recheck 2nd axis and then go shoot the same shots and see how they hit. 3rd axis is tricky cause aiming down hill can mess up your form pretty good. I would also try bending first then drawing and see how that feels or shoots. I have watched quite a few pros shoot field Tournaments and not all of them draw level and bend, a lot just draw on the plane or the target.

Try pulling your back bar, make sure that doesn't change it. When it doesn't, shoot it in.

Before all this fancy stuff with levels and what not, that's what we did.

another thought is with all this kisser and nose buttons ( I use a nose button, but both seems excessive) you might be putting excessive face pressure on the string when aiming down hill, try making sure you are only very lightly touching your anchor points.

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty simple fix. Adjust your 3rd axis by shooting the bow and not with the level. Shoot adjust until they are going where you want them to go. done.

Then re check your level and uphill shots. I bet they are still good.

Siggy111

FNG
I would shorten it. Get the second axis adjusted, and then the third. Get to a shop that knows what they are doing.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 317940
You have grip issues, broken T and shooting off muscles instead of bone. That is more likely to cause changes. You’re also leaning back. Could you post a video of your shooting? Might help see anything else like exploding out, throwing a hand or moving prematurely.