Help Needed! Downhill Shooting Problems

I would like to know how to do this, also is this only a feature on Black Gold?

You shoot it and adjust it til it's correct.

If you are hitting left, rotate the housing out I believe.

Can't remember for certain now, but it's 50/50 you get it on the first try, if it went further than you were you know you screwed up.

Have another drink.

Adjust it back where it was and a little more.

wapitibob

WKR
Left side of the level, rotated away from shooter, will run the bubble to the left when aiming uphill.

I shoot in my 2nd also, it doesn't end up plumb with the riser or string when I'm done. Initial setup, sight bar is vertical when the level shows level, plumb with string Then, that assy gets rotated so 20 and 80 hit in the center. Some sights, like a hogg father don't have that gang adjustment.

Last edited:

Zac

WKR
You shoot it and adjust it til it's correct.

If you are hitting left, rotate the housing out I believe.

Can't remember for certain now, but it's 50/50 you get it on the first try, if it went further than you were you know you screwed up.

Have another drink.

Adjust it back where it was and a little more.
[/QUOT
Left side of the level, rotated away from shooter, will run the bubble to the left when aiming uphill.

I shoot in my 2nd also, it doesn't end up plumb with the riser or string when I'm done. Initial setup, sight bar is vertical when the level shows level, plumb with string Then, that assy gets rotated so 20 and 80 hit in the center. Some sights, like a hogg father don't have that adjustment
Yeah from what I remember I thought it was only possible to do on a Black Gold. If I understand right you sight in on flat ground. Then you would shoot at a steep angle and adjust your 3rd until your hitting the dot? You'll have to tell me how you sight in the second axis.

406unltd

WKR
I’d just shoot the axis in. Go to your steep hill and adjust that axis until it hits. It’s the only way to do it in my opinion. You’ll leave with confidence high.

wapitibob

WKR
My sight has a cpl screws at the end of the extension that allows me to rotate the whole head assy. I use an 8" string level on my sight bar and set the sight level to match. I then set the whole assy plumb with the string. I then shoot 80 and adj windage, then check 30. I rotate the whole assy to get 30 and 80 centered. When done, the sight bar isn't plumb with anything but, the bar is still vertical when the level reads level because I never adjusted that part of the sight.

Marble

WKR
another thought is with all this kisser and nose buttons ( I use a nose button, but both seems excessive) you might be putting excessive face pressure on the string when aiming down hill, try making sure you are only very lightly touching your anchor points.
This is a good point, but usually that will cause a miss to the left... usually.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

MHB

FNG
Hello,

Find a local shop that will do a 2nd and 3rd axis adjustments. Your 3rd axis is way off causing your right hits when shooting down hill. You will have the opposite issue (hitting to the left) when shooting up hill. Generally the 3rd axis adjustment is almost straight on all the sights/bows I have tuned.

(EDIT ADDED) When you make this change you will be shooting to the right and you will need to make a windage adjustment on level ground before trying up/down hill shots.

If you do not have a shop that can do this for you find a Hamskea 3rd axis level.

The instructions for how to do this are here:

Matt

Hello,

Find a local shop that will do a 2nd and 3rd axis adjustments. Your 3rd axis is way off causing your right hits when shooting down hill. You will have the opposite issue (hitting to the left) when shooting up hill. Generally the 3rd axis adjustment is almost straight on all the sights/bows I have tuned.

(EDIT ADDED) When you make this change you will be shooting to the right and you will need to make a windage adjustment on level ground before trying up/down hill shots.

If you do not have a shop that can do this for you find a Hamskea 3rd axis level.

The instructions for how to do this are here:

Matt
I was gonna say the same thing - that’s a pretty dramatic adjustment OP made. MBG sights come with a sticker that says don’t adjust more than 1/2 turn in either direction. OPs looks like 1-2 turns.

Siggy111

FNG
3rd axis adjustment is often offered on a higher price pt. sight. If shooting in a lot of ravines and hills, it comes in handy. Hamskea has a neat level that I use and it's worked well. You have to set your 3rd axis after you have 1st and 2nd set, and also it should be set with the bow drawn. These table mounted gauges that set the axis don't take bow torque into consideration. If you have a draw board that tilts, that will work, too. Good luck.

nexus

FNG
Lots of good advise so far. I would add, double check your feet position. When shooting uphill - slightly open the stance. When shooting downhill - close the stance. This simple adjustment will make the bending at the waist more consistent and easier.

Great info! So if you set 3rd axis but then go adjust your sight up or down you have to redo the third axis?

Your form looks off to me. You're leaning back and sticking your hip forwards instead of standing upright.

I've often wondered if my draw length is correct, although I've asked a couple bowshop guys about and they thought it was ok. Here I am at full draw, do you see any issues?
View attachment 317940

Drop draw length 1/2-inch shorter.
Lean WAY WAY forwards, so left armpit is FORWARDS of left ankle, when shooting downhill.
You lean BACKWARDS, while arrow is pointing downhill, so LEFT armpit is BEHIND left ankle,
and this is the MAJORITY of your problem.

Black dashed arrow on your original photo on the right, shows u how much you lean BACKWARDS.
BAD. You hold LESS steady, when right armpit angle is MASSIVE.
Lean backwards, and you are growing the size of the RIGHT armpit angle.

So, doctored photo is on the left.
I chopped up your body into parts and re-assembled into a STRONGER stance,
leaning FORWARDS, with half inch shorter draw. LEFT armpit is now FORWARDS of left hip joint.

WHen leaning FORWARDS for downhill shot, the right armpit angle actually is SMALLER
and back muscles can now engage to hold more STEADY, to shoot TIGHTER groups.

Bow hand knuckles are MUCH too vertical.
How can I tell?

Cuz I can see you have WAY WAY too much thumb muscle oozing past right edge of the grip.

Rotate knuckles to 45 degrees like this
and sideways miss pattern will SHRINK.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 5.57.43 PM.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 5.57.43 PM.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 13

rclouse79

WKR
I kind of want to post a picture of myself at full draw after all of the pointers you got. I had a target archer next to me at the range and I saw him helping his neighbor. I asked him to watch my form and he helped me with my grip. Left right missed shrunk immediately.

Rich M

WKR
You can shoot a nickel at 40, its eady.

For downhill, get in a tree.

Keep shooting, you’re ready to go. Just don’t know it yet.

Have s great hunt.

4rcgoat

WKR
Drop draw length 1/2-inch shorter.
Lean WAY WAY forwards, so left armpit is FORWARDS of left ankle, when shooting downhill.
You lean BACKWARDS, while arrow is pointing downhill, so LEFT armpit is BEHIND left ankle,
and this is the MAJORITY of your problem.

Black dashed arrow on your original photo on the right, shows u how much you lean BACKWARDS.
BAD. You hold LESS steady, when right armpit angle is MASSIVE.
Lean backwards, and you are growing the size of the RIGHT armpit angle.

So, doctored photo is on the left.
I chopped up your body into parts and re-assembled into a STRONGER stance,
leaning FORWARDS, with half inch shorter draw. LEFT armpit is now FORWARDS of left hip joint.

WHen leaning FORWARDS for downhill shot, the right armpit angle actually is SMALLER
and back muscles can now engage to hold more STEADY, to shoot TIGHTER groups.

Bow hand knuckles are MUCH too vertical.
How can I tell?

Cuz I can see you have WAY WAY too much thumb muscle oozing past right edge of the grip.

Rotate knuckles to 45 degrees like this
and sideways miss pattern will SHRINK.

Good to see you are still around