Help needed Montana bears'

szwags

FNG
Me and my buddy both madd the drive from NJ out to western Montana for spring bear. (Thompson falls area) We have put in some serious miles and elevation and just aren't seeing sign or bears. Any tips for this time of year? Need kind of a Hail Mary only 3 days left to hunt. Thanks
Matt

TheGreek

Lil-Rokslider
No help here man. Sorry. I was just out in the same area and didn’t see a bear in five days of hunting. It was disappointing to say the least. Good luck and keep at it.

JohnnyB

WKR
We just got home from a week right near Thompson Falls. We had trouble finding bears for a day and a half, but once we found the sign, we found the bears. We only saw seven but it was great fun.

We found no sign at lower elevations or near the tops. We found the great majority on the outer part of trails and roads with a south/west exposure. Once we had a rough elevation, we looked for as many s/w facing trail areas at plus or minus 500 feet in elevation from the known sign.

We found some ticks too. Good luck

netman

WKR
My buddy just killed this 10+ year old bear that weighed 330 pounds just outside Kalispel. They hiked in behind a closed gate and spot and stalked the bear. I’ll be headed out in a week but that doesn’t do you no good.
I hunt the sage flats near timber. I look for deer, antelope,elk and moose with brand new calves. Find the calves and you’ll find the bears.
Fresh grass is key too

I would walk gated roads just below the snow line. I always see bears early or late as does everybody. I am not sure of the season dates but if it goes to 5-31, go to the Yaak area. Go check that out, been a while since I was there but it was loaded with bears.

slim23

Lil-Rokslider
hunted north of thompson falls last weekend for 4 days and never saw a bear. only 3 piles of crap and 2 were on road where it was thick. Hiked over 30mi of closed roads and never saw any sign. going back up next weekend. Not much green up IMO

OpenCountry

Lil-Rokslider
Planning on headed to tnis area this year any advice is appreciated.
I’d be watching the snow depth and green up this year before committing to dates. We have a pile of snow and it’s not supposed to be above 40 degrees until around Apr 7. Another 4-8” of snow projected by Friday. Most snow I’ve seen is not a lot of years.

Either burn the tread off your boots walking all over on logging roads or walk to a glassing point with good glassing capabilities and let the glass do the walking for you. I’d suggest the latter.