Help needed w/late season sleep system

Ric1

FNG
To those of you already in the know...I need some help/info/advice on putting together a late season sleep system. Three of us were drawn for CO's third season this year (Nov. 12-18) and we'll be sleeping in an outfitter's tent on a cot with a floor and a stove in it. This will be our first trip in the third season under the new framework for CO so this is the latest we've ever hunted in there. I couldn't tell you if I'm a cold or warm sleeper, although I do like the covers up around my ears and I like the room cool when sleeping at home in the winter. The last time I slept in a canvas tent was over 45 years ago as a kid during the summer and my Dad threatened to whip me if I touched the sides of the tent and caused it start leaking, lol. This will be our first trip with the new outfitter's tent and my first time camping in one during the winter, as well. I'm 6'2", 230 lbs. if that matters. Thanks ahead of time for your input, time and consideration.

First off I would have a pad on the cot for xtra comfort and warmth. A quilt would be my choice for sleeping on the cot in case you need to cool off because your buddies cranked the heat on in the stove. A pillow will save your back and neck. Wear a stocking cap if you need xtra warmth. Last off ask your buddies how they like to sleep and adjust accordingly.

OP
R

Ric1

FNG
TWB; thanks for the input. I've got the pillow; any particular brand recommendations on quilts/pads? We have a few foam pads by Thermarest (I think) and a couple of air pads, but its all older gear. Last year during the second season, I slept on a cot with an air pad and tried it both inside and outside of my bag (trying to find the warmest combination), and I wasn't impressed. In fact, I was damn cold even with my base layers, socks and a toboggan on. In fairness, I know nothing of the air pad I used and it could've been a pool float for all I knew. Thanks again for your input.

jdinville3

Lil-Rokslider
Below are search results that might help you, there are multiple threads on sleeping pads, sleeping bags, quilts, and bags vs quilts. Just my two cents, but you will likely have to do the best you can for this trip and learn from it since you've never slept in your upcoming accommodations. The trick is not taking too much or not having enough to keep you warm like you struggled with above. I do know that if your sleeping pad is older it might not have an insulating value, which is something you want. They have "R" values like insulation for a house and makes a difference in cold weather. Good luck on your sleep system hunt and to you and your buddies on your upcoming hunt!

Sleeping pad threads

Bag vs Quilt threads

Best quilt threads

Good web article to help understand R value

Jimss

WKR
I don’t think I could sleep on a cot. I sleep like a baby on the ground with a Neoair pad. You can change up what you wear to bed depending on how hot or cold you are. When it’s super cold I may have 2 sleeping bags …one over the top.

What kind of stove? Wood, propane, or electric? Stoves may be a pain in the rear but nice when super cold.

OP
R

Ric1

FNG
I don’t think I could sleep on a cot. I sleep like a baby on the ground with a Neoair pad. You can change up what you wear to bed depending on how hot or cold you are. When it’s super cold I may have 2 sleeping bags …one over the top.

What kind of stove? Wood, propane, or electric? Stoves may be a pain in the rear but nice when super cold.
It's a woodstove, Jimss. And I'm right the opposite of you; I sleep better on the cot vs. the ground. Yeah, we used propane cylinders w/Mr. Heaters last year and small electric heater. I'll check out the Neoair pad and thanks for your input.

OP
R

Ric1

FNG
Below are search results that might help you, there are multiple threads on sleeping pads, sleeping bags, quilts, and bags vs quilts. Just my two cents, but you will likely have to do the best you can for this trip and learn from it since you've never slept in your upcoming accommodations. The trick is not taking too much or not having enough to keep you warm like you struggled with above. I do know that if your sleeping pad is older it might not have an insulating value, which is something you want. They have "R" values like insulation for a house and makes a difference in cold weather. Good luck on your sleep system hunt and to you and your buddies on your upcoming hunt!

Sleeping pad threads

Bag vs Quilt threads

Best quilt threads

Good web article to help understand R value
Thanks for the references, jdin. I'll surely check them out. And yeah, the first time you do anything it's a learning experience, right? I've got a bag that I used last year but it's an old generic bag that I'm guessing is rated somewhere between 35-45 degrees F. I'll probably take it along so I'll have something to use as a baseline, then gauge everything else from that point. I've looked at several gear pages from goHunt.com to Skre to Kuiu to even cheaper storefronts like Sportsman's Warehouse and Murdoch's. The problem with storefronts is that the product info there isn't as good as what you'd get places like here or other forums. That's just my opinion and it's not worth much to anybody but me, lol. Thanks again for your time and the input. Take care and good luck to you this season.

Jimss

WKR
Neo air may work on your cot? Mine is around 2” tall so not sure how stable that would be. Some complain about nose but I’m asleep so quick it doesn’t matter

sneaky

"DADDY"
Are you guys driving to the outfitters camp, or being packed in on horses? If driving to it a big thick piece of memory foam will make you feel like you're sleeping on a regular bed. Bulky but comfy

when it's cold out the air circulating under a cot makes me cold! i usually sleep a few hours then toss and turn til i wake up, even with a thermarest pad! but with a stove you should be ok.
as for sleep bags, if you don't want to break the bank just layer another 35* bag over it if you are not packing stuff in.