Help needed with with material sources.

I have been reading through this thread and have seen sources mentioned for various things. I thought it would be a good thread in itself. Kind of one spot to find sources for all the materials needed for building packs ,tarps , pullouts etc. I have just bought a sewing machine and am getting pretty pumped about all the things I want to make and modify.

Hunt_UP

FNG
I’m new to getting into some gear mods and projects, but I ordered from ripstop by the roll. Good prices. They didn’t ship the thread i ordered, I emailed them and within 2 hours I had an apology and the shipping confirmation info for the thread in my email. So customer service seems good.

zacattack

WKR
I’ve used rip stop by the roll, be sure to check for seconds and blemishes, the material is usually at a steep discount.
I’ve also gotten from dutchweargear when ripstop doesn’t have something

OP
G
Thanks. Now I will just have to see who will ship to Alberta and how much more that costs.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks. Now I will just have to see who will ship to Alberta and how much more that costs.
I think I have googled places in Canada before. I know I just bought some plastic hardware that I could only find in CA. I did a quick google search and found this place. There are bound to be others. If you go to one of the US suppliers and found a fabric and then googled that fabric for sale in Canada, you would find it I am sure.

Kaspie

FNG
I am also in Alberta and often use Ripstop, Quest, and Rockywoods. Shipping hasn't been too bad and timeframes were good before Covid, little slower now but still not terrible. Most recent order from about 3 wks ago took about 9-10 days to arrive. Hofmann Outdoor Gear and Pac Cana are a couple of Canadian retailers too, haven't ordered from PacCana but Hofmann has always been quick and great to deal with just not huge selections.

Just diving into the DIY / MYOG stuff. Ordered from Ripstop by the Roll and the order went as we have been trained to expect: fast confirmation emails, prompt shipment, tracking, etc.

Also ordered from Rockywoods, and it has taken them a week just to dispatch the parcel.

OP
G
Ok so I ordered some material from PacCana. Great service, people I talked to on the phone were very helpful. I also ordered coated ripstop from RBTR for a tarp, this has not made it to me yet but is in route. Hofman is a great source for hardware stuff /webbing, their order shipped very quickly to me as well. As soon as I figure out how to post pictures I will have to show all the stuff I have made.

Ch3w1e

FNG
+1 on Ripstop by the Roll. They also carry sample packs if you're not sure on the color / material and you want to check it out before you commit to a big order.

AKSandman

FNG
Basically what everybody else has said + the following:

for technical fabrics and softshells, you won’t find a better supplier than extreme textile in Germany. Their shipping is quick and I have never had an issue with customs. (If you can wait on your order, order when the euro is down so you can take advantage of the exchange rate)

If you want to order buckles, two good brands are ITW (Nexus) and duraflex brand. If you want quality metal buckles try Trimmers Pro. You can find places online that sell these per unit. I haven’t found the typical fabric supply houses to carry the best buckles.

Order your basting tape from Sailrite. Make sure to buy the proper tape for the fabric you are using it on

quest outfitters has the quickest shipping out of all the places I have ordered and their customer service is exceptional

BamuleyID

FNG
Onboard with Ripstop by the Roll as well. Have used them for several projects and they've been great in response to any questions. Though it does seem their supplies are limited at times. Apparently, a lot of DYI Gear Covid projects took place. Also, check locally, I know my sleeper Idaho town has a few sources with decent material and prices but didn't pop up with any quick online searches so if you live in or are near a bigger city/town, ask around.
What AKSandman said about duraflex buckles and Sailrite. Sailrite has a lot of accessory/add-on items and supplies that others might not have as well.
I haven't bought any fabric from Sailrite, I'm pretty sure it's more heavy-duty stuff...hence the company name.

Good Luck!