Help on getting a muzzleloader

MRC

FNG
Muzzleloader.com told me the Accura V2 has been discontinued. I have had one on backorder since Jan. 1st. They told me they think they wii fill the backorders but if not they will refund my money.

Rich M

WKR
I just picked up an optima v2. Haven't shot it yet but planning on shooting it out to 225 or 250 yards. Has a light trigger, was very surprised by the easy trigger on it.

Got some 250 gr SSTs, 777 powder, and just need some range time.

G&R

FNG
Muzzleloader.com told me the Accura V2 has been discontinued. I have had one on backorder since Jan. 1st. They told me they think they wii fill the backorders but if not they will refund my money.
Never heard anything about the Accura v2 being discontinued, interesting.

EdL

FNG
I started out with a Encore Prohunter and then purchased a CVA Apex because it was dirt cheap. The TC was lighter and they both shot extremely well even with the same powder(BH209) and bullet (Barnes 250 TEZ). I ended up selling it to a "friend" who kept it for a season and then sold it . I am back with the TC and am torn between a .50 Endeavor Barrel or a .45 MGM barrel. I have a .308 barrel for it as well which will be used in the near future.

I have a .45 cal MGM encore barrel i got from Arrowhead. It already has his breech plug setup and is smokeless capable. Super nice thing about it too is it's bullet on bore, no sabots. You'll have a hard time getting a sabot gun to shoot as consistent accuracy wise and have consistent velocities. Mine shoots amazing and i'd highly recommend it to anybody. Lukes customer service is top notch too.

Last edited:
From what I can tell it was a limited run of rifles from 1995-1996. Certainly not common or recent, and it seems as though all involved operator error as well.
There was a big lawsuit you can google against CVA. I remember reading it when shopping for my muzzleloader 4 years ago. Ie, CVA did few quality checks on their guns (which is why they are cheaper). There was more than one instance of the gun blowing up on people, even those using proper powder type/amount and proper bullet etc.

I went with TC Triumph and it is awesome. I wanted the quality that is engrained into a work culture. even if CVA improved their manufacturing process to he safe, they are competing to be cheaper. If you are spedning 800 id go after a TC. I got a great deal from muzzleloader.com that included a leupold scope.

Another vote AGAIN for CVA. I saw somebody mention the blow ups and splitting barrels, but that was from late 90's/early 2000's, and hasn't happened since Bergara partnered with CVA. With using Bergara barrels now, they cannot be beat for an off the shelf muzzleloader.

Between my brothers and I, we have 3 CVA's (well, mine is a Winchester Apex, which was back when CVA and Winchester Blackpowder were effectively the same company). Dad has a TC Prohunter. The CVA's consistently out shoot the TC without question. We are talking sub 1.5" groups at 100 yards with the CVA's and about 3 inch groups with Dad's pro hunter with any projectile we put through them. We are CVA fans for sure.

As far as bullets are concerned, use anything but a power belt. They are easy to load, but that leads to lower bore pressures and lower velocities and poor accuracy. We tried them when we first got into muzzleloaders, and now you couldn't pay me to shoot them. We shoot .45 Cal 240 grain Hornady SST's in a .50 cal sabot for everything with good results. That said, I'm sure those Nosler's will be great too.
Wow...that’s hard to believe. I’ve owned 3 TC muzzleloaders and still own 2 of them. One is a black diamond XR that I bought brand new I believe in 2001 and the other is an Encore I bought new as well A few years later. Both 50 cals and both shoot excellent at 100yds. I’m talking about less than 1” groups at 100yds. I’ve shot several different loads out of it and although point of impact changes they’ve all been extremely accurate. Buddy had one as well. We bought them same day, same exact rifle. His actually shoots a tad better than mine. Another buddy has the FX shooting the BH209 and his is also a tack driver. Never heard of anyone having trouble getting these to shoot.

MRC

FNG
Just got an email from muzzleloaders.com.They said the Accura V2 is officially discontinued.They will not be filling my order.They want to switch me to one of the new models.Don’t know if I’m interested in a collapsible ram rod. Don’t need a threaded barrel and the adjustable cheek pad on my crossbow is laying in the woods somewhere. It fell off.Simple is best for me.

Checkmate

FNG
I like my CVA accura a lot. I have been shooting the Harvester White Lightning bullets over some BH209. Like previously mentioned, BH209 is the way to go. Harvester was great to deal with when I was getting started. They were really helpful with selecting the proper sabot to go with their bullets in my specific ML. Also sent me a few extra types to try out as well. Great company, people are awesome.

I am late - really late - about adding my 2 cents.... but with your $800 limit I would look really hard at a Knight DISC - no wait... if this hunt is a random thing for you and you do not have long term aspirations to continue to hunt with a ML - then heck go with a Knight Bighorn. It is a percussion rifle but it would serve your need well for many years. But if you really get into the muzzy thing.... then bite the bullet and go for a Knight Ultra-lite.

Not sure of the Arizona rules - but a Knight can be easily switched to different ignition systems to meet the local regulations.

This my Ultra-Lite

Nitride-79.jpg

Last edited:

FNG
Is your wife just trying to kill something like with a regular rifle or actually want to hunt with the limitations of a muzzleloader? Then a modern is the way to go and you don't want to break the bank? Knight Vision .50 Freedom. Bare 209 should be fine for $199 on the knight website. Can't get even the cheapest real sidelock for it. Heck, the scope they offer with it is more expensive than the gun.
Or you get a Great Plains Rifle as a sidelock in either 50 or 54 and shoot it with patched round balls out to 100 yards with open sights. That means you actually have to hunt not just pick and shoot the animal.
Most states require at least .45 cal, but others min. 50 to hunt deer. That's why most ML are .50 cal.

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Knight Ultra Lite would be my first choice now After owning a CVA Accra v2 first then a Traditions ultra light . I had decent performance from both guns .But settled with the Knight and wont look back . Hope this helps .

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
40cal is legal for elk in Arizona and legal for deer in Colorado. Legal here too

A muzzleloader means a firearm intended to be fired from the shoulder;
Must be incapable of firing fixed ammunition;
Must have a single barrel and single chamber;
Must be loaded from the muzzle end of the barrel only;
Must be ignited with black powder or synthetic black power; and
Must only fire a single projectile.

There are no restrictions on optics, projectiles or ignition sources.