Help! Partially striped bases

Txrookie

Lil-Rokslider
I let someone mount a base for me and they put a rounded base on my flat back receiver it caused the inner threads to be partially stripped. It was just the rear threads that were stripped since the front two are rounded. I put on the right base and was able to torque it to specified lbs. should I have them re tapped or not worry about it since they torqued?

Mountainman3

Lil-Rokslider
I’d never trust what you described. The peace of mind alone would have me pay to have it fixed professionally. You may have to go up a screw size, say 8x40 but that is not a bad thing. Plenty of bases use 8x40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

Txrookie

Lil-Rokslider
I’d never trust what you described. The peace of mind alone would have me pay to have it fixed professionally. You may have to go up a screw size, say 8x40 but that is not a bad thing. Plenty of bases use 8x40

That’s what I was afraid of

Mountainman3

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not sure if I made it clear but I was able to torque to 25lbs on all screws.

If it’s .22 cal or smaller you may be ok. With anything bigger the recoil can knock everything loose. Just my 2 cents.

gbflyer

WKR
It’s been my experience that the screw yields to the receiver. Not to generalize your situation, because it could differ from what I’ve seen. But if the new screws torqued up to 25, I wouldn’t lose sleep over it. Shoot it

3sdad

FNG
Cross threads are as good as a weld!!!!! If you torqued them to spec with no issue, i'd run it and re torque after a good range/field day. If you still have your doubts and want that piece of mind, I would take it to the smith. I wouldn't expect it to cost over 100 bucks, buuut, I've been wrong before.

OP
T

Txrookie

Lil-Rokslider
It’s been my experience that the screw yields to the receiver. Not to generalize your situation, because it could differ from what I’ve seen. But if the new screws torqued up to 25, I wouldn’t lose sleep over it. Shoot it
I’m tempted to just run it like that but I’m not sure lol

OP
T

Txrookie

Lil-Rokslider
Cross threads are as good as a weld!!!!! If you torqued them to spec with no issue, i'd run it and re torque after a good range/field day. If you still have your doubts and want that piece of mind, I would take it to the smith. I wouldn't expect it to cost over 100 bucks, buuut, I've been wrong before.
I thought about it but if it cause me to lose a bobcat I’d be pretty mad at myself

16Bore

WKR
They can be “torqued” to 25#, but that doesn’t mean you’ve got 25# on the base. Takes more torque to crossthread.

I was so pissed at my M70 that I hand tapped the damn rear 8-40 without a pilot. Not smart, but shoots like a mofo.

OP
T

Txrookie

Lil-Rokslider
What do I do about the bases? Get new ones or are those drilled?

gbflyer

WKR
I’m tempted to just run it like that but I’m not sure lol

Run new screws in and out a few times. If they don’t go easy, something is wrong. I suspect that if you replaced the screws when you got the correct mount, and they went in easy, all will be well.

Drill / tap to 8-40 is a good upgrade. But that can go south in a hurry as well. Snap off a tap and you’ll hope your grandma isn’t around to hear what passes your lips. . Best left to a pro if you’re not prepared for the potential of epic failure.

OP
T

Txrookie

Lil-Rokslider
Run new screws in and out a few times. If they don’t go easy, something is wrong. I suspect that if you replaced the screws when you got the correct mount, and they went in easy, all will be well.

Drill / tap to 8-40 is a good upgrade. But that can go south in a hurry as well. Snap off a tap and you’ll hope your grandma isn’t around to hear what passes your lips. . Best left to a pro if you’re not prepared for the potential of epic failure.

the screws aren’t what are stripped it’s the threads in the receiver,about the first 1/3 of them can out with the screw

OP
T

Txrookie

Lil-Rokslider

Definitely going to get A professional, I don’t have the patience or tools to do it

Wrench

WKR
The screws need at least the diameter of the screw in thread purchase. The base screws shouldn't go beyond receiver or itll touch the bolt.....not a good thing.

If you're close on purchase, run it. If you're nervous, bed it in place. If the purchase is less than the diameter.....time to go #8-40.

gbflyer

WKR
the screws aren’t what are stripped it’s the threads in the receiver,about the first 1/3 of them can out with the screw

Ok I got ya. If you lost a 1/3 you most likely need help. What brand of rifle are you working on? The round/flat suggests older Savage?

Wapiti1

WKR
The screws need at least the diameter of the screw in thread purchase. The base screws shouldn't go beyond receiver or itll touch the bolt.....not a good thing.

If you're close on purchase, run it. If you're nervous, bed it in place. If the purchase is less than the diameter.....time to go #8-40.

Wrench covers it. Holding power is based on min number of threads being engaged. You want minimum 6 threads for a 6-48 screw.

Jeremy

OP
T

Txrookie

Lil-Rokslider
Ok I got ya. If you lost a 1/3 you most likely need help. What brand of rifle are you working on? The round/flat suggests older Savage?
I took it to a gunsmith and he said it was only about 1/4 missing and there was enough if I put longer screws in I should be okay