Help pick my next caliber

Of course I do not NEED another rifle, but I am thinking about building another this winter to tinker with next year. For the build I am thinking the Defiance Anti-X, proof/bartlien/carbon 6 barrel, probably another XLR Element 3.0 chassis, trigger tech primary, Leupold Mark5 HD 3-18, or a NX8 2.5-20.

Here is what I have in the safe now that I use for hunting rifles:

6.5 creed, short barrel suppressed and shoots 143 ELDX, I shoot this gun a lot
6.5x284, shoots 143 ELDX 2950 FPS and is a killer
300 WSM, shoots 200g ELDX and 180gr Accubonds

I am thinking about a .284 in the middle or going bigger with a big long action 30cal. Not sure I want to go up to a .338, but I am thinking about it. My suppressors are 30 cal cans and I want to be able to shoot with a brake or a can, but I do need a good reason to get a Thunderbeast 338 Ultra!

For .284 I was thinking:
7 WSM or 7 SAUM for another short action
280AI
28 Nosler

For a long action 30 cal:
300 PRC, 300 RUM, or 30 Nosler shooting Berger 215's

What would you do?

Last edited:

Phil j

Lil-Rokslider
7 wsm in a long action to seat heavys out or a 300 norma if you want something bigger

I am gonna throw a wrench in this and say since you have a 6.5-284 that you could load a 156 for if you wanted, and you have a few calibers that are gonna perform close to the same in most applications, that you should consider a hot rod like a 27 or 28 nosler. Yes not the most efficient, but you already have efficient. I do know a 27 nosler with a 170 Berger will only drop between 32-35 inches at 500 yards with a 100 yard zero. Obviously there is always something you have to give up rather it be speed, barrel life, or recoil.

If you're wanting a hot rod 30 cal that approaches 300 rum velocities with 15 grains less powder then check out the 30 Sherman mag.
I just built one and its pretty impressive, that said I decided to sell it and build an ultralight 7 wsm

Last edited:

carter33

WKR
Based on what you have I would say the 300 PRC though a 280ai would be awesome as well. Do you plan on hunting with it and if so what? That could factor in the choice also.

I have really been wanting to try a XLR chassis, how do you like them over a standard stock?

Lawnboi

WKR
Not something dedicated to that, but I can shoot my vudoo .22 way out there at prairie dogs, or my 6.5 cm is what I would grab for anything fun like that or coyote hunting.
I think your missing a 223, or maybe a hotrod 22 cal super flat shooter.

Can reload primo 223 for 30-50 cents a rounds

A big 338 would be fun too

OP
B
Based on what you have I would say the 300 PRC though a 280ai would be awesome as well. Do you plan on hunting with it and if so what? That could factor in the choice also.

I have really been wanting to try a XLR chassis, how do you like them over a standard stock?
Primarily it would be a backpack deer and elk gun. I have my 6.5 creed in the XLR folder and while it’s fun, I like the idea of the folder for backpack hunts but need more power. I could just drop my hells canyon 300wsm into a another XLR, but it shoots too good and Mike made the stock too cool for me to even consider that.

I also could draw sheep or goat in Colorado any year, and am considering booking a goat hunt up north in the next couple years...so that’s a consideration as well.

I was hesitant on the XLR at first. I have the 3.0 magnesium with the carbon butt and grip. I think it’s 34oz with the folder, so it’s not much heavier than a carbon stock. I can strap it to my kifaru 26” frame, and with my 20” creedmoor it barely sticks up past the frame stays. No where near going over my head to get hung up while hiking in or out.

shooting it took a little use for getting comfortable but now I love it. I kept gripping it like I would an AR grip with my thumb wrapped around, but once I noticed and got my thumb out of the way and just resting on the side, I shoot it as good or better than any other rifle. If you backpack hunt, I think these are hard to beat.

kupper

Lil-Rokslider
for short action i would go saum over wsm for a true short action. You can seat out further with the saum and any case capacity differences isnt going to be noticed unless you go to a med length action. another contender would be the 7ss. If youre wanting to step it up to big boy rounds go big enough that you notice a difference compared to the short action rounds. 28 nosler, or 28 sherman mag for the .284's. 30 Nosler, 30-28 nosler (slightly more case capacity than standard 30 nos), or 30 sherman mag I wouldnt go RUM unless i were planning on shooting 230's or 245's. If you go lapua bolt face than maybe a 30-338 lapua improved or 300 norma mag improved. Ill be going either 30-28 or 30 sherman mag for my next barrel once my 28 is shot out.