Help pick my next caliber

Lawnboi

WKR
Are you set everywhere else? I think your looking for a problem you already have the solution to with the wsm. Though I never think another gun is a bad idea.

Things I personally would be looking at before buying a betweener caliber.

Rrs Tripod
Labradar if you

Better glass
Enough ammo or components to kill my barrels
Reloading equipment upgrades
A nice bipod or 2
A few suppressors

If I already had all that I’d probably be right where you are.

What part of the country are you in? Have precision rifle matches? Build a gun to shoot them if you have the time. I have learned a boat load shooting matches this year.

OP
B
Are you set everywhere else? I think your looking for a problem you already have the solution to with the wsm. Though I never think another gun is a bad idea.

Things I personally would be looking at before buying a betweener caliber.

Rrs Tripod
Labradar if you

Better glass
Enough ammo or components to kill my barrels
Reloading equipment upgrades
A nice bipod or 2
A few suppressors

If I already had all that I’d probably be right where you are.

What part of the country are you in? Have precision rifle matches? Build a gun to shoot them if you have the time. I have learned a boat load shooting matches this year.

^^^Agreed^^^

Instead of a new build with an NX8, sell a scope and buy a TT or ZCO. Get an RRS tripod set-up. Zeiss or Leica LRF Binos. Suppressors. Better spotter. Etc.

If you are all set everywhere else, I'd focus on a few more barrels for what you have and shoot more with your current setups.
Oh I know this is a first world problem picking fly shit out of chili... but my lust for the XLR chassis is what started all of this. Agreed on the 300 WSM probably being the solution I already have, but its a awesome build by Mike @ Hells Canyon and I do not want to break it apart. It belongs in that awesome Ag composite stock with the swaro X5 sitting on top of it.

It almost embarrass me to say it, but literally the only thing I don't already have you guys rattled off above is the RRS tripod, and my buddy has the reloading setup. But I really have zero desire to build out my own bench as long as I can bum his equipment and knowledge and don't have a need to do it any differently.

I am very fortunate to have plenty of sweet swaro glass. Have a Labradar, couple of atlas bipods, the full suite of ultra 5- 7- 9 TB suppressors, have the Leica 2800.com, and the list goes on.

But I hear what you guys are saying...still doesn't make me want to build a new rifle any less :)

CO-AJ

WKR
If money is no object, what the heck jump right into the .338. I would do a Bighorn action, Bartlein Barrel, Masterpiece Arms Chassis, of course TBAC for the can. Optics I am partial to NF as I think the glass is fantastic but there are numerous great optics out there. The 280 AI is a nice round with awesome ballistics, but you will always be reloading. I started my precision gun as a 6x47 Lapua and barreled it to a 6 Creed so I could shoot of the shelf stuff rather than have to reload all the time. At the end of the day there are numerous great points on here, what do you want to use it for?

tdot

WKR
I'm not looking at another 6.5...I am looking at .284 or a 30 cal. I would just go to the 28 Nosler if I were going long action .284.

I really am on the fence right now on a 7WSM/7SAUM or just going 28 Nosler. I need this build to be a backpacking gun and was thinking 22" barrel so the 7 WSM makes sense, but I don't want a medium action, so that puts me back at the SAUM for a short action.

The 28 Nosler means a longer barrel, longer action, and more weight.

If you're willing to go to a wildcat and would like a short action 7mm, then maybe look at the 7mm Sherman Short. It's essentially an improved 7SAUM. There's headstamped brass available, dies, etc. It's just about the easiest way to get into a wildcat. Lots of info over at Long-range Hunting.

I have a 6.5SS and a 338ss, been happy with both.

If you're willing to go to a wildcat and would like a short action 7mm, then maybe look at the 7mm Sherman Short. It's essentially an improved 7SAUM. There's headstamped brass available, dies, etc. It's just about the easiest way to get into a wildcat. Lots of info over at Long-range Hunting.

I have a 6.5SS and a 338ss, been happy with both.
^ This is a good idea if you must have a short action.

Seeknelk

WKR
With the short action and light weight your looking for I'd also say go 7 SS. The adg brass is great stuff. 7wsm brass can be tough finding , and the quality isn't usually there.

Food for thought, the difference in weight of an anti x short and long action is 1.5 oz.

Interesting data point. I wonder what the differences are in longer bottom metal and magazine are? Might just be magazines in the case of an XLR element.

Lawnboi

WKR
Oh I know this is a first world problem picking fly shit out of chili... but my lust for the XLR chassis is what started all of this. Agreed on the 300 WSM probably being the solution I already have, but its a awesome build by Mike @ Hells Canyon and I do not want to break it apart. It belongs in that awesome Ag composite stock with the swaro X5 sitting on top of it.

It almost embarrass me to say it, but literally the only thing I don't already have you guys rattled off above is the RRS tripod, and my buddy has the reloading setup. But I really have zero desire to build out my own bench as long as I can bum his equipment and knowledge and don't have a need to do it any differently.

I am very fortunate to have plenty of sweet swaro glass. Have a Labradar, couple of atlas bipods, the full suite of ultra 5- 7- 9 TB suppressors, have the Leica 2800.com, and the list goes on.

But I hear what you guys are saying...still doesn't make me want to build a new rifle any less :)
You are a lucky man!

I still think you need a 223 or 22 creed. A 7 anything is going to do more or less exactly what your wsm does.

New builds are always fun. Can always pull that tikka out of the ag stock and try the xlr... not like you can’t put it back or anything.

On a side note, you need an rrs tripod with an anvil head, especially if you get the chassis.... stupid easy hookup and you won’t believe how solid it is.

Deezly

FNG
I shoot a 6.5x284 and love it. I have a couple of 28s and hope to test it on a deer or elk this rifle season. I like it so far though. I've been liking the 7mm08 alot lately as well. My son has one and I like using it more and more

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

RyanM

Lil-Rokslider
I disagree...you DO need another rifle! Also out of your choices, I would do 7 SAUM and .300 PRC. I’m doing a .300 win mag now and a 6 Creedmoor for yotes after Christmas probably.

OP
B
Well decision made and done. Just paid Dallas Lane to build me a 7SAUM barreled action to drop in my XLR.

Defiance AntiX
22" Proof
Trigger Tech Special

Now the 6+ month wait begins and I hope they don't announce some new fancy 7mm caliber at Shot this year!

Well decision made and done. Just paid Dallas Lane to build me a 7SAUM barreled action to drop in my XLR.

Defiance AntiX
22" Proof
Trigger Tech Special

Now the 6+ month wait begins and I hope they don't announce some new fancy 7mm caliber at Shot this year!

Unless Lapua releases 7 SS brass at shot I think you'll be happy!

OP
B
Unless Lapua releases 7 SS brass at shot I think you'll be happy!

Well I looked pretty hard at doing it in the 7SS and traded PM's with the guy over at long range hunting (I forgot his name already, very nice guy and answered my questions without hesitation), but just in talking with 3 more smiths it built up my confidence in building the 7SAUM in a short action. I also like that while its not super main stream, there are a few factory loads you can get for it if I had too.

carter33

WKR

Defiance AntiX
22" Proof
Trigger Tech Special

Sounds like a great choice. What bullet powder combo are you hoping to use and what velocities are you expecting?

I had Dallas build my 6.5 PRC, he does great work. When I finally pull the trigger on building a rifle in an XLR chassis I plan on using him again. Split between another 6.5 or a 7mm of some sort also. Would like to keep the barrel length at 20” whichever I go with.