Help pick my next caliber

carter33

WKR
Primarily it would be a backpack deer and elk gun. I have my 6.5 creed in the XLR folder and while it’s fun, I like the idea of the folder for backpack hunts but need more power. I could just drop my hells canyon 300wsm into a another XLR, but it shoots too good and Mike made the stock too cool for me to even consider that.

I also could draw sheep or goat in Colorado any year, and am considering booking a goat hunt up north in the next couple years...so that’s a consideration as well.

I was hesitant on the XLR at first. I have the 3.0 magnesium with the carbon butt and grip. I think it’s 34oz with the folder, so it’s not much heavier than a carbon stock. I can strap it to my kifaru 26” frame, and with my 20” creedmoor it barely sticks up past the frame stays. No where near going over my head to get hung up while hiking in or out.

shooting it took a little use for getting comfortable but now I love it. I kept gripping it like I would an AR grip with my thumb wrapped around, but once I noticed and got my thumb out of the way and just resting on the side, I shoot it as good or better than any other rifle. If you backpack hunt, I think these are hard to beat.

The compact package when folded is what I was attracted to mostly also and I know the pistol grip typically helps get more consistent rearward pressure. I think having a short overall length of a rifle is undervalued for backpack hunting but I have to bust brush a good bit which may not be the norm. I have a 6.5 PRC with a 20” barrel but like your 300wsm the stock is just too beautiful to break apart. I may wind up going with another 6.5 PRC to put in the XLR because I am already short on time to do load development/reloading for a new cartridge. If time wasn’t an issue I think I would go 7saum with a short barrel and either the defiance anTi or LPA titanium fuzion.

So to change my previous recommendation I’d say the 7saum to keep it as light as possible for backpacking but enough cartridge for elk.

rootacres

WKR
If you’re looking for a lighter weight hunting rifle that can hit fairly hard at distance I like the 7mm WSM. That ended up being the caliber of choice for my hunting build. If I was building a long action, long range hammer it would probably be a 300 PRC. The 28 Nosler barrel life is a concern, the ballistics are crazy good though.

OP
B
Thanks for all the suggestions. I keep leaning towards a 7mm caliber. But I am stuck between a short action WSM or SAUM...leaning towards WSM to compliment my love for the 300wsm.

Or just doing a 28 Nosler. I know the 280AI would be a practical choice too in long action.

284 Terminator.

Sawfish

Lil-Rokslider
25/06. Ammunition is reasonable and available. Brass will always be cheap and available (make from 30/06). With some of the new powders it treads on the heels of the .257 Weatherby.

OP
B
284 Terminator.

I really would like to own a LRKM....I was not even aware of that 284 terminator. I’ll have to compare that to the 28 nosler.

OP
B
25/06. Ammunition is reasonable and available. Brass will always be cheap and available (make from 30/06). With some of the new powders it treads on the heels of the .257 Weatherby.
I shot a lot of white tails in my youth with a stainless ruger m77 25-06. I really want something with some more horsepower behind it for when I have a deer and elk tag in my pocket, or if I have to anchor a goat...something with more gusto in a folding chassis.

If you are going long action you might as well go 28 Nos! the 180-195 gr .284" bullets are great, and even better going 3100 fps+

For a true Short Action the 7 saum is efficient, but the 7 wsm will be faster with more powder. You should at least get an extended mag and seat out to 2.9+" and will be fine with up to 180gr bullets.

I really would like to own a LRKM....I was not even aware of that 284 terminator. I’ll have to compare that to the 28 nosler.

Shawn has a whole spectrum of Terminator calibers all the way up to 375. So you can always have him spin up different Terminator barrels for you at the same time and swap them.

mvrk28

WKR
I'm having a 280 AI built by APR right now. I am doing the original 280 AI and not the SAAMI version, they had both reamers available and gave me the choice. I picked up about 100 cases of Peterson brass in 280 Rem and will fire form it, then send some cases out to Whidden Gunworks to get dies made.

OP
B
27 Nosler? Let’s shift the 6.5 hype
I'm not looking at another 6.5...I am looking at .284 or a 30 cal. I would just go to the 28 Nosler if I were going long action .284.

I really am on the fence right now on a 7WSM/7SAUM or just going 28 Nosler. I need this build to be a backpacking gun and was thinking 22" barrel so the 7 WSM makes sense, but I don't want a medium action, so that puts me back at the SAUM for a short action.

The 28 Nosler means a longer barrel, longer action, and more weight.

OP
B
I'm having a 280 AI built by APR right now. I am doing the original 280 AI and not the SAAMI version, they had both reamers available and gave me the choice. I picked up about 100 cases of Peterson brass in 280 Rem and will fire form it, then send some cases out to Whidden Gunworks to get dies made.

I need the XM action with a 280AI as I understand it. I don't think I can get a XLR magnesium 3.0 chassis in the medium, just short or long. Ballistically I do think the 280AI makes a lot sense for what I want in a 22" barrel backpack rifle and running 175 ELD or 175 Berger Elite hunter. That would cover me on any species you would backpack hunt. But, what kills it is I am dead set on that chassis being part of this build since I have some experience with it.

money

FNG
Talk to Ryan Pierce about the 300 norma improved. he is building them to shoot the 230 bergers and they are crazy accurate.

mvrk28

WKR
I need the XM action with a 280AI as I understand it. I don't think I can get a XLR magnesium 3.0 chassis in the medium, just short or long. Ballistically I do think the 280AI makes a lot sense for what I want in a 22" barrel backpack rifle and running 175 ELD or 175 Berger Elite hunter. That would cover me on any species you would backpack hunt. But, what kills it is I am dead set on that chassis being part of this build since I have some experience with it.
FWIW Alamo is building mine on a long action Anti.