Help picking a camera for hunting trips

Matt79

Lil-Rokslider
Guys,

I started going out west a few years ago Hunting. I went to Wyoming the past 2 seasons, Colorado this oct, and Alaska next season.

After two trips west and all the beautiful scenery I have no pics to show when I returned home. I do have an iPhone, which takes decent pics up close in bright light (decent trophy pics) but that’s all it’s good for. All the pics I tried taking of the mountains or whatnot just sucked and looked like they were 1000 miles off.
T you
With that said I am wanting to buy a camera I can start taking on my trips to get beautiful pictures, and have some memories and to show my wife and others. I am wanting crisp great pics for trophy pics and to be able to get good pics of the outdoor scenery and landscape where I am hunting.

I want to keep it a smaller camera, prob what you consider a point and shoot around 400-500 at most preferably cheaper if possible. I’d prefer simple, as I will prob just be taking the pics on an auto setting and not getting into all the tech stuff the professional cameras can do. WiFi to add the pics to my phone I would want. I was thinking more zoom would be great for what I’m doing but I will let you guys help me there. I’ve been looking online a few days and see there are so many options I don’t know how to choose best for my application. I have been thinking Sony HX80, canon powershot SX 730, maybe Sony A5100?

So guys give me your thoughts and if other opinions or thoughts I’d like to hear it all and feel free to post pics from cameras you may suggest also. All feedback will be greatly appreciated, thanks guys

The BEST camera would be the Sony DSC-HX80. It has wifi, view finder 30X optic Zeiss glass zoom,D video and is EASY to use.
Normally $369.99,there is a $50 instant rebate and then the Rokslide discount so it would be $299.99.
Many will say to h the RX100 series. They are fantastic but very small zoom and are slightly above your budget and the ones with the long zoom are double your budget
The HX80 can make excellent 11x14's when you get that great image

Feel free to contact me. I will be in Monday through Saturday

Joel
516-217-1000

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
I have the rx100iv, d800 with 40 pounds of lenses and a k5 with a ton of lenses.

I rarely use my dslr's any longer. I bought mine used, like new for $350.00

OP
Matt79

Matt79

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have to pay to be able to pull the pics from the camera to your phone?..how exactly does that process work?...seems really convenient for sure

Not at all. You download the free app for the brand of camera you buy and you send the images over wifi to the phone. No charges at all

Wapiti1

WKR
I would also suggest the Panasonic ZS100 as another to look at. Shorter zoom, but larger sensor than the HX80. I got one for my 2017 sheep hunt in AK and was very happy with it. It's been all over the world in the last couple of years. I haven't found anything that matches it for features and size. Just one more opinion.

Zambia 8-2019

P1030499.jpg

Jeremy