Help picking boots

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, Im looking to buy my first pair of boots for western hunting and backpack hunts. I want a do it all boot as far as temperature goes, from cold to warm weather if possible. I know all boots are different for everyone but i’m just looking for ideas where to start. Any input helps, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t hunt out west but I recommend checking out Crispi Wild Rock GTX (400g insulation) or Wild Rock GTX Plus (800g insulation). I picked up a pair this fall. Took no time to break in, very good ankle support, light, and comfortable.

mthayr

WKR
I would encourage you to look into Lathrop & Sons. Best fit I've ever had, very little break in. The "Encompass" are a great do-all boot, Mountain Extreme are very stiff - but I imagine ideal for Alaska and similar terrains. They will map to your foot and suggest the right boots based on your discussion with them. Pricey, but what are no blisters on your feet worth?

stvnshnn

Lil-Rokslider
Do you typically run warm/have sweaty feet? I don’t use insulated boots for anything above freezing. Also, how often will you be backpack camping with temps below freezing for extended periods of time? If you’ll be out like that frequently, maybe two pairs of boots are in order.
I’d recommend going to a shop locally and trying on a bunch of boots. I went to Sportsman’s Warehouse and several small mom-n-pop shops and tried on probably no less than 12 pairs of boots. My feet fit well into Zamberlans and right now I have some Hanwag Alaska’s.
I think anything that fits your feet well will work for several seasons. Stick to known brands like Lowa, Kennetrek, La Sportiva, etc.
Good luck!

Brooks

WKR
I live in, hunt, scout and hike in some rough country in New Mexico and use a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX uninsulated and a pair of Kenetrek Mt Extreme 1000 gram insulation. Both are great boots. I wear the Kenetreks any time, during the summer, fall ,spring and winter. Last week hunting in 5 degrees I did put a toe warmer on my sock and stayed nice and warm. The Lowas are not good for cold weather but are great warmer weather hiking boots.

Superdoo

WKR
OP, where are you located?
I have very picky feet so I find a store that has the most options and then go and try on everything they have.
Next time I’m in Vegas, I’ll be at the GoHUNT shop and be buying boots.

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
OP, where are you located?
I have very picky feet so I find a store that has the most options and then go and try on everything they have.
Next time I’m in Vegas, I’ll be at the GoHUNT shop and be buying boots.

I’m from Minnesota, the only place that has boots is cabelas or REI , unfortunately neither carry any of these brands near me. I might have to risk a buy online

Superdoo

WKR
I’m from Minnesota, the only place that has boots is cabelas or REI , unfortunately neither carry any of these brands near me. I might have to risk a buy online

Where at in MN? You have three Scheels locations in MN. You'd be able to try on Kennetrek, HanWag, Crispi, Zamberlain and more at one of those.

Reactions: XMP
OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
Where at in MN? You have three Scheels locations in MN. You'd be able to try on Kennetrek, HanWag, Crispi, Zamberlain and more at one of those.

Scheels is a bit of a drive but probably worth it if they carry brands, thanks for the heads up, that’s news to me

Superdoo

WKR
I noticed that REI in Bloomington had quite a selection of mountain boots too. Before you go to a store I would call and verify their stock levels. If they don't have something you want to try at their location, ask them to transfer in what you want. That way you know your trip will be fruitful.

For an all around boot that will last a long time i would look at Kenetrek Mountain Extremes Non insulated, Hanwag Alaska GTX non insulated, or Crispi Nevada GTX non insulated. All of them can be run in warm or cold weather, have a reputation for lasting at least a couple of seasons, and will give you plenty of support in the mountains.

My personal favorite is the Hanwag Alaska GTX but everyone has a different fit for their feet so find what works for you.

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
Do you typically run warm/have sweaty feet? I don’t use insulated boots for anything above freezing. Also, how often will you be backpack camping with temps below freezing for extended periods of time? If you’ll be out like that frequently, maybe two pairs of boots are in order.
I’d recommend going to a shop locally and trying on a bunch of boots. I went to Sportsman’s Warehouse and several small mom-n-pop shops and tried on probably no less than 12 pairs of boots. My feet fit well into Zamberlans and right now I have some Hanwag Alaska’s.
I think anything that fits your feet well will work for several seasons. Stick to known brands like Lowa, Kennetrek, La Sportiva, etc.
Good luck!

I always have cold feet during most hunting seasons, with the exception of summer

elkguide

WKR
I have cold feet and I have found the Meindl Comfort Fit boots to be very supportive of my feet and ankles, and very breatheable if the temperatures rise, as I hike/hunt in all different terrains here in the East and in the West. My current pair is in it's third season and this fall I wore them for about 60 days and it looks like I'll get at least another year out of them.

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
I have cold feet and I have found the Meindl Comfort Fit boots to be very supportive of my feet and ankles, and very breatheable if the temperatures rise, as I hike/hunt in all different terrains here in the East and in the West. My current pair is in it's third season and this fall I wore them for about 60 days and it looks like I'll get at least another year out of them.

what specific boot do you have?