Help picking new scope.

Rus

FNG
So this topic has probably been pretty beat up in the past but it’s the middle of winter so what the hell else we have to do! I’m looking to upgrade to a new scope and I’m looking for something under $800. This would be just for hunting and I have no interest in shooting over 500 yards but want something that is good for both dialing and holding over. So any suggestions for a great all around scope in the $700-$800 range? Would i get more scope if I bought a used $700 scope or is it worth getting a new one for $800?

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
I really like the leupolds with the custom dial to dial in yardage, the vx3 or vx5. You can probably find a used vx5 used for around the price you want

drchesler

FNG
There was a review here on Rokslide of the Athlon Ares gen 2. I think you would find it to be good reading as the scope seems to meet your criteria.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I have 3 bushnell elite scopes(hdmr, lrhs,smrs) and I’m telling u that for the money you won’t find better.

first focal, 3.5-21x but the only down side is the weight

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to dial at that price point look at reviews on the swfa scopes, I have a 3-15 but there's lots of different options

OP
R

Rus

FNG
So many options! I guess I guess I just need to do some research.

OP
R

Rus

FNG
Just saw the v4 on redhawk that looks like a good deal!
Another vote for the Zeiss V4 from redhawkrifles.com. Don't let the "demo" concern you. I don't think the V4 4-16x50 I bought was ever out of the box. I don't think you can beat the quality at their price point.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
So this topic has probably been pretty beat up in the past but it’s the middle of winter so what the hell else we have to do! I’m looking to upgrade to a new scope and I’m looking for something under $800. This would be just for hunting and I have no interest in shooting over 500 yards but want something that is good for both dialing and holding over. So any suggestions for a great all around scope in the $700-$800 range? Would i get more scope if I bought a used $700 scope or is it worth getting a new one for $800?
Great question! There are tons of great options on the market. If you have any questions on the Vortex lineup, don't hesitate to reach out!

Based on what it sounds like you will be using it for, I would check out the Viper HS LR 4-16x50. This is a fantastic hunting optic that offers an exposed elevation turret for dialing out if you want to. It also has the Dead-Hold BDC reticle for holding over. You'll find these in stores for $649.99.

apohlo

Lil-Rokslider
Hearing a lot of great things about Arken these days, makes me want to try one... Hard to find!

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
as gcronin said, plenty of opinions. Everyone has their favourite. There are lots of good options in this price range.

I've been using a Leupold VX3 with CDS for some time now. Very reliable, tough hunting scope. Used it in super wet Vancouver Island blacktail hunts to mountain goat to -30 deer hunts.

For guys like me that like to put their crosshairs where they want the bullet to go, a custom CDS dial is amazing if you do your part and know your rifles ballistics.