help picking the right winter boot

Robertsj22

Lil-Rokslider
im looking for a boot that will be used in late season. I need something that will be warm enough to sit for hours in zero degree weather and still have the support that is needed for long pack outs. It seems like im asking a boot to do too much. i was thinking the kenetrek 1000 gram boots but they don't come in wide sizes.

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
I use a variety of boots. When sitting/stand hunting in the cold I use the Arctic boot covers over my boots. If it is extremely cold as you have mentioned, a handwarmer in the boot covers with 400gr insulated (Kenetrek) boots is more than enough. I use quality socks and liner socks for the extreme cold as well. Good Luck!

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with Vrybusy. Arctic Shield covers and hand warmers on top of the boot for sitting. (don't forget to knock the snow off the bottom of your boots before putting the Arctic Shields on) As far as which boot, that really boils down to your personal comfort threshold. I hunt with guys that wear 400g boots to below zero and guys that wear heavy pack type boots when its 40* out. Depends on the person. If I were doing hiking with stops for glassing, I would use the Arctic Shields. If strictly sitting in a stand or blind, 1000g insulated hunting boot or a pack boot like Hoffmans.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
im looking for a boot that will be used in late season. I need something that will be warm enough to sit for hours in zero degree weather and still have the support that is needed for long pack outs. It seems like im asking a boot to do too much. i was thinking the kenetrek 1000 gram boots but they don't come in wide sizes.

Ripnbst

FNG
I used Danner Alsea 400g with Danner Merino Wool socks in Colorado mule deer hunting in October two years ago and my feet were never so cold I couldnt stand it. It got down to 9 degrees in the mornings. If we were moving 400g was just fine, even with 2-4 inches of snow. I wore them again in Wyoming trudging around in 4-6" of snow and was fine then too. There were times where I was starting to wiggle my toes in the boots to keep my feet from getting really really cold. My advice is also take more than one pair of socks. If you're going to be sitting for a while and your feet sweat while walking like mine do then allowing your feet to air out and dry a bit before slipping on a fresh pair of socks before sitting can make a big difference. Feet that are wet from sweat will be silly cold in a hurry if you sit for a while.