Help planning an Alaska moose hunt

My wife and I are headed up in September for a drop caribou hunt with ram aviation. It’s only March and we are both chomping at the bit to go. Should be an amazing trip with the Mrs and I hope more than anything o can get her on a really really nice hard horned bull with a white cape. That’s what she’s after. I can assure you it won’t be from a lack of trying. Packing a caribou 2-3 miles or potentially further won’t deter us one bit.

I’ve been hunting Colorado for the last 4 years with those 4 years being the only experience I have of western big game hunting. Being from Texas, it’s not easy getting to hunt out west. In the last 4 years I’ve taken 2 bull elk, passed a few others, and guided my wife to get her a pope and young bull last year. (Just had it scored). What I’ve learned over the last 4 years about myself is I think I love the remoteness, solitude, grind, and adventure as much if not more than the harvest. I’m in my mid 30’s and pretty good shape (the Mrs. is in insanely great shape from bodybuilding)since I go to the gym 4/5 days a week, however, I have two small herniated discs in my lower back and they aren’t getting better by any means. With that being said, my days and years of pushing myself are numbered unless I can figure out the back issue. With how hard and expensive things are getting combined with the back, it’s best I go sooner rather than later.

So, I’m hoping someone can help guide me in the right direction for a diy moose hunt. Nothing against outfitted hunts but that’s just not quite my style. I like hunting solo or with one other person and $20k+ for a moose just doesn’t appeal to me. Like anyone, I’d love to take a giant but I also wouldn’t turn my nose up at anything legal. Hopefully the wife can go again to Alaska but with anticipation of starting a family next year, it very well may not happen. And most likely this hunt will be 2-3 years out anyways. I also understand that most transporters won’t take a solo moose hunter for fear of meat spoilage so I’ll have to find someone to jump in with me ( hint hint ). I have all the gear (hilli black label tent, WM zero degree bag, filtration system, stoves, clothing, etc) necessary to survive what ever weather Alaska can throw at a person during September. So hear really isn’t a main concern.

With it being a diy hunt, are there transporters that have areas they fly into that have moose and is that a higher gamble than other options? I know they can’t tell you anything about the animals and can only fly you in and out. I prefer to be flown into an area vs raft simply bc with it being the first time chasing moose, I wouldn’t want to over complicate things. Also, the views of some of the more remote areas are stunning. That sucks n itself may very well be worth being flown in. I do understand that if there aren’t any moose in that area it can make for a long hunt seeing nothing.

What areas in Alaska would one want to focus their research on or spend the most time looking into. Areas being with higher moose populations or better genetics (if that’s the case with moose). Or if there is a way to research that I would definitely research it if I had an idea of where to look.

I have read where some people research areas (units, drainages, valleys, terrain, etc) that they want to hunt and hire a pilot to fly them into those areas. What are some determining factors when looking for specific spots and not relying on an outfitter/pilot to drop you into prime areas? Food, foliage, elevation, terrain, etc?

I’m sure there will be plenty more questions and hoping this thread leads to some questions I haven’t even thought of. I know there are some guys on here that have put in hours and days and months of research. I’m not asking for freebies or to be handed anything. Just help getting going in the right direction. If anyone wants to share anything via pm that’s welcomed too and nothing shared with me privately would ever be shared to another individual.

Thanks for any help and insight. I have learned a ton of info from this forum and have been given some priceless advice from members throughout the years. Not only have I learned a ton, this forum has inspired me to chase my passions and find a way to make it work instead of sitting and wishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I highly recommend that you call 907-267-2257, as they can answer virtually all the questions you presented here on this forum and give you honest, practical, informative answers. Be aware that they're offices are only open Monday thru Friday, between 8:00 AM and 4:00 PM. Best of luck in your preparations!

OP
ddavis_1313
I highly recommend that you call 907-267-2257, as they can answer virtually all the questions you presented here on this forum and give you honest, practical, informative answers. Be aware that they're offices are only open Monday thru Friday, between 8:00 AM and 4:00 PM. Best of luck in your preparations!

Can I ask who’s phone number that is?

There is a short list and a long list of potential options depending on your budget and expectations….

There are plenty of pilots who will take you solo if you call and talk to them, have some experience etc.

Read everything you can and ask specific questions. Been a lot of posts here lately on AK moose DIY.

Getting multiple big bulls on a trip will limit where and with who you should hunt.

A guided Canada moose will be cheaper and easier than AK diy

OP
ddavis_1313
There is a short list and a long list of potential options depending on your budget and expectations….

There are plenty of pilots who will take you solo if you call and talk to them, have some experience etc.

Read everything you can and ask specific questions. Been a lot of posts here lately on AK moose DIY.

Getting multiple big bulls on a trip will limit where and with who you should hunt.

A guided Canada moose will be cheaper and easier than AK diy

What’s the short and long list?
As far as budget, not real sure what a upper end diy moose hunt would run. Expectations - hunt some remote and gorgeous country in a mountainous type terrain. See game animals of different species. See moose while hunting. Hopefully hunt hard and be able to close the distance and take a legal moose (ideally over 60”) that is a great representation of an Alaska moose.

If I have to go solo I will as long as the pilot is trustworthy and genuinely placing me in an area with game or fingers crossed I did my homework on scoring/calling/ researching. I’ve hunted solo plenty of times and will absolutely do it again if that’s what it takes.

Finding a big bull or two is the goal. Trying to determine where to hunt and with who seems to be the biggest hurdle.

"Expectations - hunt some remote and gorgeous country in a mountainous type terrain ..... See game animals of different species. See moose while hunting ..... and take a legal moose that is a great representation of an Alaska moose ..... Trying to determine where to hunt and with who seems to be the biggest hurdle."

All of Alaska's mountain ranges offer exactly what you mentioned in your post. Pick one and go hunt it. In terms of finding the most affordable and most reliable and most trustworthy commercial air transportation service provider, call this number: 907-465-2534

Research transporters, find the one that offers what you are looking for in a hunt, then cut them a check. One thing that AK doesn’t lack is solitude and beauty.

Dan, ADFG website can answer most of the questions you have and get you lined out in a specific direction you’re wanting to go.

What’s the short and long list?
As far as budget, not real sure what a upper end diy moose hunt would run. Expectations - hunt some remote and gorgeous country in a mountainous type terrain. See game animals of different species. See moose while hunting. Hopefully hunt hard and be able to close the distance and take a legal moose (ideally over 60”) that is a great representation of an Alaska moose.

If I have to go solo I will as long as the pilot is trustworthy and genuinely placing me in an area with game or fingers crossed I did my homework on scoring/calling/ researching. I’ve hunted solo plenty of times and will absolutely do it again if that’s what it takes.

Finding a big bull or two is the goal. Trying to determine where to hunt and with who seems to be the biggest hurdle.

Here is your short list if you want a big bull solo and willing to pay for it-
Gods Country Aviation

If you don’t want to pay that much there is a long list of every air taxi and outfitter. Many outfitters will also offer drop hunts with options for gear. There are plenty of places off the Highways you can hunt as well. It will be hit or miss if you see a legal bull on some of these hunts

Last edited:
OP
ddavis_1313
Here is your short list if you want a big bull solo and willing to pay for it-
Gods Country Aviation

If you don’t want to pay that much there is a long list of every air taxi and outfitter. Many outfitters will also offer drop hunts with options for gear. There are plenty of places off the Highways you can hunt as well. It will be hit or miss if you see a legal bull on some of these hunts

I’ve reached out to gods country. Do you have any feedback for them or any experience?

I’ve reached out to gods country. Do you have any feedback for them or any experience?

He’s probably at the very top end $$$ wise for DIY moose in AK. Solo operation flying a maul on wheels 100+ miles to his area and meat must be bone in - those trips add up quick. And you will be in rolling tundra/bog, not the Mtn’s you described. I would still 100% recommend it if you can get in - it’s a tremendous and very tightly managed area. I think he can only take 6 hunters in there. Just doesn’t seem to align with what you described.

edited for accuracy

Last edited:
OP
ddavis_1313
Unfortunately, last I heard he’s done after 22 or 23. He’s probably at the very top end $$$ wise for DIY moose in AK. Solo operation flying a cub on wheels 100+ miles to his area and meat must be bone in - those trips add up quick. And you will be in rolling tundra/bog, not the Mtn’s you described. I would still 100% recommend it if you can get in - it’s a tremendous and very tightly managed area. I think he can only take 6 hunters in there. Just doesn’t seem to align with what you described.

Thanks for the insight. I’ll still reach out and ask some questions though.seems like $10k is about the a average going rate for these type of hunts especially if you want a solid chance at success.

rope

FNG
40 Mile Air out of Tok is a transporter and has a few years wait and some of the terrain that your looking for. Good luck.

Thanks for the insight. I’ll still reach out and ask some questions though.seems like $10k is about the a average going rate for these type of hunts especially if you want a solid chance at success.

During the offseason it can be hard to get a hold of some outfits, smaller ones in particular. If they are booked out years in advance they are also less motivated to call anyone back as well. The best spots generally are hard to get into, with many repeat hunters getting first bookings.

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider

Hope he's not done after 23... I sent him $ for 24 :). Had 2 good friends hunt with him in 2020. They both shot nice bulls and both of them said Isaac and his wife are stand up people.

Hope he's not done after 23... I sent him $ for 24 :). Had 2 good friends hunt with him in 2020. They both shot nice bulls and both of them said Isaac and his wife are stand up people.
Good to know. I edited my previous comment. I don't want the guy losing business or getting a bunch of phones calls asking about it. Maybe he changed his mind as I know the guy that told me heard it right from the horses mouth and I think they moved to Trapper Creek. I've repeatedly heard the same great things about the folks that operate God's Country. Best of luck on your hunt! The couple times I've flown over that area I've been green with envy!

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Good to know. I edited my previous comment. I don't want the guy losing business or getting a bunch of phones calls asking about it. Maybe he changed his mind as I know the guy that told me heard it right from the horses mouth and I think they moved to Trapper Creek. I've repeatedly heard the same great things about the folks that operate God's Country. Best of luck on your hunt! The couple times I've flown over that area I've been green with envy!
Guess after re-reading my comment I should clarify, as I don't want him to be bombarded with calls either.. All I know is what I have going with him. I did inquire a last fall stating my interest (via email) and he got back to me around Christmas about what openings he had and I took one.