HELP! Salvaged elk Bozeman, MT need help finding processor

On the way home from work tonight had a real nice bull get hit in front of us. Got a salvage tag after the warden put him down and got him up in the truck. It’s nice and cold tonight, we gutted it and packed the belly full of ice so we are good for now, but all the local processors I’ve looked at are saying they are full. Can anyone help point us in the direction of someone who can process this bull? We are In an RV right now. I have no problem sharing the meat, we just really don’t want this to go to waste, so if anyone can help in any way please reach out ASAP either here or PM me a phone number or something. Thank you!

OP
T
I can head either way, I’m in Bozeman/Livingston area for work. Yellowstone said they are full, going to have to see about Matt’s.
Anyone else?

MTRaine

Lil-Rokslider
Deemos does a decent job but is insanely expensive. I live in Butte, I know there's some places around town here. I'll ask my friends. Worst case scenario I can help you do it if needed. I have a grinder and a vacuum sealer.

OP
T
Patty’s awesome. They will hook you up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yellowstone said they are full as of yesterday’s voicemail, hoping deemos answers first thing in the morning, but any other ideas are still welcome til I find somewhere…

thinking I have til the later morning/early afternoon to figure it out

MTRaine

Lil-Rokslider
Yellowstone said they are full as of yesterday’s voicemail, hoping deemos answers first thing in the morning, but any other ideas are still welcome til I find somewhere…

thinking I have til the later morning/early afternoon to figure it out
What are you looking to get done with it? mostly ground products? or steaks, roasts, ribs, burger etc?

OP
T
What are you looking to get done with it? mostly ground products? or steaks, roasts, ribs, burger etc?

Basically just don’t want it to go to waste. Was looking to just do steaks, roasts, burger, basic

If you're willing to drive to Great Falls, 406 Taxidermy and Processing did a great job on my bull. There are a couple other processors in Great Falls as well.

$400 for more than 200 pounds of vacuum packed steaks, chops (butterflied), and burger (90/10).

hobbes

WKR
Have you found anyone? Do you just not have space to do it yourself? Boning it out wouldn't be too difficult. You've got to get it somewhere soon or you're going to lose it.
How salvageable is it after the accident? Are we talking a bruised up jellied mess? I'm clear in Helena but could help you with it if that's what it takes to save it. It'd be an all out effort to process it in a couple evenings. Steaks and roast right away then all burger could sit a day or two in fridge for grinding later.

I'm no professional but I can sure take one apart and process it my way. No exchange of money of course. I'd want a steak or two. :). I do not have a vacuum sealer like offered above, so that may be a better offer.

Last edited:

Berger024

WKR