Help - Savage 111 270 Win - set up for my son

Manosteel

WKR
image.jpgSo I took my son to our local rifle range / Archery range to have him shoot a big bore rifle for the first time. I break out my Savage 111 270Win from the gun safe. It hasn't seen use in about 4 years since I have been bow hunting exclusively the last few years. The rifle has less than 100 shoots on it. I am an archery first and haven't really looked at rifles seriously in about 20 years. So any help is appreciated.

The rifle is stock with the budget bushnell scope the gun came with when I bought it. We were shooting 150 gr and 130 gr Federal Fusion ammunition.
The rifle is a tack driver. It is shooting sub MOA. See pic of my first 5 shoot group and second 3 shoot group with 150 gr on the left and the target on the right is my sons second group with 130gr. The target squares are 1/2 - so 4 gives you1 inch square. Shooting at 110 yards.

So I figure with a few little modifications it will a very serviceable mountain rifle. I don't want to spend more than a few hundred dollars since 99% of my gear junkie funds go to backcountry gear and archery. My son will be the primary user of this gun and if he buys the mods and learns how to maintain and possible DIY (with my help) mod the gun himself - it will be his to own. So again budget - good value - are the words of the day.

The rifle currently weights 138.3 oz ( 8.62 lbs) [with scope and sling] so anything to keep the weight down would be great.

1st - I want to replace the scope with something better - I don't want the best, just something that is rugged and good value for the money - $200 is what I am hoping to spend. I don't mind good used gear. Should I replace the stock rings? What objective lens size 32mm or 40mm or ? Thinking 3x9 since that is most common and least expensive. image.jpg

2nd - trigger, the stock one pulls heavy and has a lot of travel. Thinking Timmy trigger but they are $100 - any other recommendations? DIY trigger job i.e cut coil off spring?

The first two I am committed to doing, other mods i may or may not depending on suggestions. It shoots so good now I don't really want to do anything to make it shoot bad. Might do other mods later on but not this season.

3rd - stock should I leave it or mod it or replace?

4th - anything else?

Thanks of any and all suggestions.

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
Without a bunch of cash you are not going to get a lighter stock and I think the one you have is pillar bedded from the factory. It shoots well so a nicer scope and a rifle basix trigger is about it. The trigger will run $83.49 in stock at Midsouth shooter's supply. There are some ok $200 scopes but the $400 range gets a whole lot more scope. If you aren't in a hurry you can watch the demo list at cameralandny for a deal.

Shrek

WKR
Just looked and there is a demo 3.5-10×44mm ziess conquest for $420 available now. I'm a big believer in burris signiture select rings . They have plastic inserts that keep you from maring the scope and make it hard to crush the tube. You don't need to lap the rings and I've never had them slip.
If you wait there are other scope deals that will come up.

wk93

Lil-Rokslider
For a scope I would get the Vortex diamondback scope. Depending on the power and objective they are less than 200. I got my 4-12x40 for 183.

I don't know how he does it, but Dave always beats me to it. Like he said, unless you get an Edge you won't find a lighter stock.

If that is an older 3 screw trigger it can be adjusted to a very serviceable pull weight with no creep or over travel. Search Savage 3 screw adjustment and you'll find some instructions. If it's a newer 2 screw lawyer trigger then get a Riflebasix as Dave suggested, they have 2 models, I prefer the more expensive of the 2. I run an adjusted 3 screw on my old 110 270 bedded in a factory plastic, it's missing some blueing, scratched up and just plain ugly, I love it.

Check out the demo scopes at Camera Land, Doug is posting in the classifieds here now. $300-$400 should get you all the glass you need. I would suggest Talley mounts if you want to save some wieght.

OP
Manosteel

Manosteel

WKR
I don't know how he does it, but Dave always beats me to it. Like he said, unless you get an Edge you won't find a lighter stock.

. I would suggest Talley mounts if you want to save some wieght.

Is the savage ("axis") edge stock a direct fit for the savage 111. Meaning I can just swap them to save him some weight?