Help select a new bugle

littlebuf

Banned
get about a 16" section of vacume tube and learn how to use mouth reeds. it will save you 30 bucks, and you can even tie 550 cord you already have to it....

buglelk

FNG
I actually used the Bully Bull to win a calling contest at a county fair once, so if that's what you're looking for, it will work great for that...I would assume it would work OK for calling in elk as well... :)

If a tube sounds good on a stage, it will sound good in the woods. You don't see anyone using vacuum cleaner hoses (or various other tube types) in contests for one reason...they don't create realistic sounds (which I would assume is the goal on the stage and in the woods). I personally prefer the Bully Bull tube in both places. I did customize mine by cutting a few inches off the mouthpiece end and adding a 4-5" piece of straight tubing to make the mouthpiece a little larger. I found I got better octave changes with it that way and it didn't take away from the back-pressure the tube creates (which makes a huge difference in diaphragm control and pitch). My hunting partner sounds pretty good with the standard Bully Bull as well... :)

For those who are interested in hearing sounds from some different tubes, here is a link (with video clips) to a small county fair contest:

http://elk101.com/featured-articles/

thebugler

FNG
I've been using various versions of the bully bull for as long as Rocky has been building them. All I can say is that it's the closest thing I've heard in replicating a bulls bugle. It's big, and noisy if it bangs around on your bow or branches, but I have yet to spook a bull due to any noises from the tube. It's loud and will reach across big canyons that a vacuum cleaner hose won't touch. It will make a mediocre caller sound great! I would hunt with it if it were twice its size. It's that good :) Won't hunt without it! Just my 2 cents :)

Dirk