Help select a new bugle

I currenlty have the Primos Terminator, I do like the reed for location bugles, but there is not much versatility with the reed. Once I take off the reed and use a diaphragm you can make any sound. Well now I am looking for a couple of bugles as gifts for my two hunting partners. I am looking at the Bully Bull, Pack A Bull, Chuckler, and Mini Chuckler. Both of them would be newer to bugleing if that makes a difference.

I use one that is available on elknuts website. It's the larger one I forgot its name but it works great. Sounds awesome.

I use Paul's bugle as well... and while it does sound great, I was very surprised to see that it's made out of about $10 worth of material. You can pick up the 'tube' from any local youth sporting goods store or even toy store and then grab some plummers electrical tape and "tune" it yourself. Just won't have the fancy camo fabric cover. Instead of sewing your own cover you could just buy some of that camo tape they sell and use that and some P-chord for the lanyard.

Mike

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use a berry thunder pack bugle most times. I'll use a simple tube a lot with reeds since its small

Schleppy

Lil-Rokslider
I have both the bully bull and the select a bull with the retractable mouthpiece. I dont have a problem with using the diaphragm calls so I plan on using just the tube. If you're interested I was planning on selling the select a bull. It's never been out of the house and I bet I only tried it two or three times before I decided to stick with the other one.

6t4nova

WKR
It's not bad at all. The nice thing about it is that the smaller tube retracts into the large end. It's only 15" when compacted down. I bought it at the Denver ISE a couple years ago after talking a while with Rockie about their calls.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've used both and currently use the Bully Tube. It offers a great realistisc sound, with the design. It is more of a custom tube. ELKNUTS large bugle is also very good and you could make it youself as Mike noted.

Swede

WKR
I have the Chuckler EL and the Mini Chuckler. I like them both, and tend to change my mind on which is my favorite.

I have been using the Bully Bull for the last 3 seasons,a little bulky,but sound is awesome.Several years ago i bought a chuckler from Paul,i kept hearing all the rave about it thinking it was something unique,i ordered one and although it sounds good i was a little pissed that i just spent 30 bucks for a kids bam bam bat,we were doing that 25 years ago,nothing new with the design.Side by side the Bully Bull is a better sounding tube.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I use the Pack A Bull for backcountry. Its a great tube and definitely small then the Select a bull tube. I use to use select a bull but just found it a little to big to carry around and the pack one does a great job

ktowncamo

WKR
For you guys that are using the Bully Bull call and have used others with a wider mouth opening (Chuckler), does the Bully Bull seem harder/more difficult to blow with the smaller mouth opening? I've never blown on the Bully Bull, but I can imagine it being awkward

I actually find the smaller mouth opening easier to seal off and force all of the sound/air through the tube.

I'll take the Chuckler from Elknut over the bully bull any day but it boils down to personal preference. I'm not out to win a a calling contest at a glorified county fair, I'm in it to kill elk and the Chuckler helps me do that

ElkNut1

WKR
Swamp Buck, why not just stay with the Terminator Bugle? Remove the blue snap on reed & now you have an open grunt tube you can use with mouth reeds, no real need to purchase another bugle. Don't get caught up in too much hype about one bugle being superior over another, you can effectively & confidently hunt, call & kill elk with any decent bugle out there today with a good mouth reed/diaphragm. Some of the best reeds that I've used to date are the Mellow Yellow, Raging Bull & All Star by Rockie Jacobsen. The Mellow Yellow & Raging Bull run a very close one two for me, this right choice of reed use & knowing how to use them is more important than what bugle you choose. Nearly every bugle tube today mimics either the old vacuum style hose or a wiffle bat. I've called 100's of elk in with both styles & you can too.

Many hunters these days have looked into the larger diameter tubes because of better resonance & back pressure, these are only good to an extent in the elkwoods but more favorable to the competition stage where bigger & badder is required, this is not so in the elkwoods under most hunting situations. When using a Bugle to imitate elk sounds there are only 4 sounds that ones need to master that will fit any encounter, they are the Location Bugle, Challenge Bugle, Nervous or Popping Grunt & Chuckles. No other bull sound is necessary including Grunts to be concerned with. Any Bugle will accomplish this.

If you decide you want to choose one of the 3" diameter wiffle bat style for a better tone (you do not need to though) then you need to look at the mouth opening to see what's best for you. For instance, the Bully Bull Tube has a 1" opening the Chuckler EL Tube has 1-1/4" opening, some like one over the other, both will call in elk as long as you do your part, one will not out do the other, it's a matter of preference. As a sidenote both have won the World Championship Elk Calling Contest. Again, it's the reed used & the caller behind the Bugle that makes the difference.

ElkNut1

noroads

FNG
I'll chime in about the bully bull tube: it has great range meaning I can get great sound and resonance, soft or loud.

What I didn't like about it was that I was constantly trying to keep it from banging on my bow or branches. It's a hard plastic like a wiffle bat, bulky and even with the cloth it is pretty loud if your not real careful. I have used other bugles that were easier to pack and quieter.

It's a great bugle though and like Elknut said most bugles will work just fine, more depends on your mouth reed and ability to make those key elk sounds