Help selecting new mountain rifle

I'd get an X-Bolt Speed SPR (20" barrel) in a 6.5 or 7 PRC. There should be some deals coming down the pipe (with the X-Bolt II just being released) and they are currently offering a cash back rebate deal.

They are a fine rifle out of the box. I'd take it over all the rifles you mentioend outside of the Seekins. The Tikkas are fine, especially if you want to tinker and modify it down the road, but the X-Bolt is a better handling gun out of the box. You'll need to replace the trigger spring but that is cheap, with the MCarbo spring kit running around $30 bucks last time I purchased one.

You could also buy a Seekins Havak ($1750 ish) and always have Seekins replace the barrel to a shorter, more surpressor friendly length down the road once funds are available. They do a quick barrel swap service for $550, providing the shipping labels and all, and it generally is done within 2 - 3 weeks.

OP
mopar411

mopar411

FNG
Update on this read. I was finally able to get out and handle all these rifles. I've narrowed down to three choices. I'm landing on scoping these with the Trijicon Tenmile 3-18 FFP MRAD. Seems to be best general scope, features, and weight for the cost. All will have Scythe Ti.

* Seekins Havak Element 6.5 PRC, 21", 5.5 lbs, $2400
* Seekings Havak Element 7 PRC, 22", 6 lbs, $2800
* Tikka Roughtech Element 30-06, 20", 6.6 lbs, $1000

Tikka is drawing to me for cost and ability to share ammo / components with my other 4 30-06 milsurp rifles. With the new calibers, I'm torn between 6.5 PRC and 7 PRC.

This will be primary a Black Bear rifle, and I want to be able to stretch range eventually to 600 y.

6.5 PRC seems to be the ticket for weight and recoil but I'm skeptical of performance at close range with ELDM/X or 156 Berger, and performance with less than optimal shot angles.

7 PRC seems to be the ticket for optimal ballistics and guarantee of performance no matter the game or shot angle. However, the extra half pound of weight and 40% increase in recoil is a lot. I want to be able to spot my shots, and this seems skeptical. Also 22" barrel seems a little long with the Scythe Ti for walking around western washington mountains.

And I am planning on reloading for any of these calibers

sylvest

FNG
I have a 6.5PRC Mesa FFT that shoots lights out to 600yds which is furthest range I've got. I honestly would shoot the Federal Terminal Ascent if you're going to be hunting. Awesome performance on game and super accurate. Holds together much better than Hornady or Berger on game.