HELP! Speed nock info needed!

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Fam!

Alright, I just got done getting my new Gas Bowstring on and finished with all the fixin’s (peep, rest chord, etc...). When I had Gas build me a string I thought I was getting the speed nocks already inserted. When I got my string a few months later I noticed they put on a rubber string grub and not the brass nocks with the shrink tubing. I contacted GAS and they said Mathews does not have instructions for speed nocks for the 2010 Z7. Which I understand because it’s an older bow. I took the rubber grub off and GAS was nice enough to send me the brass speed nocks with the shrink tubing and said I would have to put them on due to liability issues.

so my question is do you guys recommend me putting on a brass speed nock(S)? If so the what location(s)? I was thinking Just one above the serving on the lower cam? I do have my chronograph which I will more than likely be shooting through today. I just don’t wanna crimp down the brass In various places And end up scuffing my string. Any help would be awesome! Thank you!

feanor

WKR
I’ve never put those on. I understand your hesitation though on the string side of things. If you have a shop, maybe they would install them. I’m sure it wouldn’t cost much, and they can do it relatively fast.

Your going to need to get a Chrono and play with it to find the sweet spot. Probably could take an educated guess to start with from measurements off of a similar bow. I played with installing them 12 years ago, ended up pulling them off. Basically you put them on in series (usually 4 together) starting around me 2" below the cam. Play with them until you find where they make the most improvement, then put the shrink wrap on. Probably tear the brass up enough you will want to put new nocks on once you find the spot.

OP
WakePraySlay

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
Your going to need to get a Chrono and play with it to find the sweet spot. Probably could take an educated guess to start with from measurements off of a similar bow. I played with installing them 12 years ago, ended up pulling them off. Basically you put them on in series (usually 4 together) starting around me 2" below the cam. Play with them until you find where they make the most improvement, then put the shrink wrap on. Probably tear the brass up enough you will want to put new nocks on once you find the spot.
Awesome thank you! I’m thinking about leaving them off now lol

OP
WakePraySlay

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never put those on. I understand your hesitation though on the string side of things. If you have a shop, maybe they would install them. I’m sure it wouldn’t cost much, and they can do it relatively fast.
I appreciate it...the shops around me are horrible I have everything I need to work on my bow. I really am just thinking about leaving them off

wapitibob

WKR
The purpose is to get the string into the cam grooves sooner on the shot, which will speed up the bow. If you don't have a chrono or the specs from the factory, they may or may not do anything for you.

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
Unless you’re needing the extra speed I dont think you’re missing out on much. With the right speed nock set up the most Speed I could squeak out of a double cam bow was 8-9 fps. I only used the nocks for tuning purposes if I couldnt get a high or low tear out of a bow. This was very common with mathews Chill series. Not sure what you would gain other than a few fps with a single cam though.

Reactions: Zac
So you have a press?
Nitro button Xl is what I have on my bow.
I never chrono it. I mostly run them because I think it quites it down.
They also have individual nitro buttons.
They just slide over the end of your string. And you can slide them up and down.

OP
WakePraySlay

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
So you have a press?
Nitro button Xl is what I have on my bow.
I never chrono it. I mostly run them because I think it quites it down.
They also have individual nitro buttons.
They just slide over the end of your string. And you can slide them up and down.
I had this on my old string. They did dampen the noise down a bit. Maybe thinking about going back.

and yes I do have a press.:cool: Might chrono before and after and see if it helps 👍🏻 Thank you!

OP
WakePraySlay

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
Unless you’re needing the extra speed I dont think you’re missing out on much. With the right speed nock set up the most Speed I could squeak out of a double cam bow was 8-9 fps. I only used the nocks for tuning purposes if I couldnt get a high or low tear out of a bow. This was very common with mathews Chill series. Not sure what you would gain other than a few fps with a single cam though.
Exactly what I was thinking. I am shooting a very heavy arrow so the few FPS might help

OP
WakePraySlay

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
The purpose is to get the string into the cam grooves sooner on the shot, which will speed up the bow. If you don't have a chrono or the specs from the factory, they may or may not do anything for you.
No specs for a 2010 z7. :cry: I might play around with them using a chrono

No specs for a 2010 z7. :cry: I might play around with them using a chrono

I have a z7 as well. I installed my own speed nocks.

-I shot 5 shots through a chrono and recorded the speeds
-Added 4 nocks about 2 or 3" (can't remember) from the cam (not the idler wheel) and fired 5 shots & recorded speed. Note the arrow speed change

-moved about 1" up from the nock closest to the center of the string and added 3 more knocks and fired 5 shots. Note if there was speed change.

-moved about 1" up from the 3 nock set and added 2 more nocks and fired 5 shots. I think this is about where I ended and I might have added a 4th nock to my 3 nock set.. Not sure it was awhile back

OP
WakePraySlay

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
I have a z7 as well. I installed my own speed nocks.

-I shot 5 shots through a chrono and recorded the speeds
-Added 4 nocks about 2 or 3" (can't remember) from the cam (not the idler wheel) and fired 5 shots & recorded speed. Note the arrow speed change

-moved about 1" up from the nock closest to the center of the string and added 3 more knocks and fired 5 shots. Note if there was speed change.

-moved about 1" up from the 3 nock set and added 2 more nocks and fired 5 shots. I think this is about where I ended and I might have added a 4th nock to my 3 nock set.. Not sure it was awhile back
I did this same exact process. Adding and subtracting nock sets. I still have the chrono records on my Caldwell app. I just looked it over and I only gained 2 fps from the baseline bare string shots. I’m shooting a 730gr arrow and I switched my z7 70lb limbs for a set of 75lb z7 limbs that Mathews did a short run on. I found one gas string speed nock at 23gr about 3 inches from the cam was my sweet spot.

This last year I decided to build a new Mathews bow that could fling my arrows a little faster. It’s a triax riser with 80lb monster wake limbs and pockets which is drawing at 92lbs. Haven’t even shot it yet 🙈

OR Archer

WKR
There’s no specs because the Z7 never had speed nocks. They used the Grub which does the same thing as speed nocks. Put the grub back on 3/4” above the limb stop. You may need to serve it in place depending on the serving size on the new string. You’re literally wasting your time trying to add speed nocks to that. They’ll gain you absolutely nothing over the grub.

There’s no specs because the Z7 never had speed nocks. They used the Grub which does the same thing as speed nocks. Put the grub back on 3/4” above the limb stop. You may need to serve it in place depending on the serving size on the new string. You’re literally wasting your time trying to add speed nocks to that. They’ll gain you absolutely nothing over the grub.

I had new strings put on my Z7 and there was no grub.. I think I picked up 8 fps

Zac

WKR
Is the grub weighted, or just rubber? I remember Gas coming out with a weighted ball that had the same effect as the brass nocks.