Help Understanding Harvest Report CO

PhlyanPan

FNG
I hope this hasn't been answered already but I can't find it if it has.

I'm looking at a specific unit for elk and checking out the harvest statistics. In 3 years, 2 of those years have decent harvest numbers for a specific season (25-40% success rates). One year has 0 harvest listed. What would account for that? I'm confused.

Last edited:
I wouldn't put much stock in the harvest numbers, they only reflect the number of folks who VOLUNTARILY gave information, not the actual amount of who got a tag and was successful.

I am not sure then what the problem is. I do not really agree with a post about not paying attention to the harvest statistics. He is correct that it is volunteered information, but statistically speaking, it is probably within a standard deviation of being accurate. I use them in most states that I hunt and have had great success.

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
My bet is that unit with 0% in 2019 was combined with another units tag which was reported in that other unit, and separated after the fact. I have noticed this from time to time and have come to this conclusion, although I most certainly could be off base.

How many hunters normally hunt that unit? Was there a drastic dip in those numbers in the year of 0%

Is it a small unit that could be affected by weather due to elevation? Hot dry weather that would keep them in a unit higher than this one, or lots of snow that would keep the animals lower

sndmn11

WKR
My bet is that unit with 0% in 2019 was combined with another units tag which was reported in that other unit, and separated after the fact. I have noticed this from time to time and have come to this conclusion, although I most certainly could be off base.

Smart guy here. That is the best conclusion I have come to for a majority of the reason, with small parts potentially being weather, poor sampling.

OP
P

PhlyanPan

FNG
How many hunters normally hunt that unit? Was there a drastic dip in those numbers in the year of 0%

Is it a small unit that could be affected by weather due to elevation? Hot dry weather that would keep them in a unit higher than this one, or lots of snow that would keep the animals lower

It was like 30% lower, but not ridiculously so. I don't know enough about the units to know if it is a small unit or would be affected by a dry year.