Help understanding what PRC and Rum mean???

bsnedeker

WKR
I am more of a conventional type of hunter shooter, If you plan on re-loading I would stick with the 300 win. mag, especially now with the crunch on loading supplies especially brass. My .300 gets the job done and done well out too 600 yards on game, Old school is not a bad thing.
Yeah, after this year I completely agree. The idea of using an extra 10+ grains per cartridge to get an extra 100 FPS seems crazy to me in these crazy times!

ID_Matt

WKR
Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead. But Kind of wondering about these calibers as well. I have shot all the old ones and owned a lot too. Currently have a 300wm 300h&h 338 wm. Kind of getting bored with them and more into shooting targets and long range. Also getting reloading under my belt. The noslers 28, 30, and 33 have been catching my eye. But the PRC is really intriguing to me. I want to build a 30 cal gun and be done. I don't have any custom rifles per say. I've bought some old guns that have after market barrels on old actions like the 338wm. They are fun and accurate but I want to build something that i had input on.

Thoughts on 300 prc vs 300rum and does the 28 nosler, 30 nosler, 33 nosler hold a torch in this conversation? I am all open to other calibers as well.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Is the brass different sizes then?
Don’t take this the wrong way, but if you’re asking these questions I would strongly reconsider what you’re looking for. I went from a 3006 to a 300wm, I ain’t no little bitch!

Welp, apparently im a little bitch. I rechambered it to a 7saum. I’ll never go to a big magnum again. That thing kicked the absolute snot out of me. It was a tikka super light and after 10 shots I would have an internal dialogue with myself telling myself to squeeze. I went from being not confident at 400 to being confident at 800 plus. I’ve shot my 7saum more in 2 months than I did the tikka in 5 years.

And don’t put a damn brake on a hunting rifle. Go on YouTube and watch all the braked rifle shooters, rarely do you see a set of plugs. Everyone gets excited and there goes the plugs.

Last edited:

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
And don’t put a damn brake on a hunting rifle. Go on YouTube and watch all the braked rifle shooters, rarely do you see a set of plugs. Everyone gets excited and there goes the plugs.
^^^This. I made it through the military without much issue and a damn MT mule deer and a 7mm with a noisy boy on the front gave me permanent tinnitus in my left ear..

deadwolf

WKR
Don’t take this the wrong way, but if you’re asking these questions I would strongly reconsider what you’re looking for. I went from a 3006 to a 300wm, I ain’t no little bitch!

Welp, apparently im a little bitch. I rechambered it to a 7saum. I’ll never go to a big magnum again. That thing kicked the absolute snot out of me. It was a tikka super light and after 10 shots I would have an internal dialogue with myself telling myself to squeeze. I went from being not confident at 400 to being confident at 800 plus. I’ve shot my 7saum more in 2 months than I did the tikka in 5 years.

One day when were all civilized, everyone will have a suppressor. 7 saums kick ass!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisA

WKR

I've had 24/7 tinnitus and irreversible nerve damage in ears since I was 18; 29 years of ringing. If I'm wearing clothes I have ear plugs on me.

That said, I have a brake on my 300WM and will never ever shoot it without hearing protection. Ofcourse at the ranges and style of hunting this rifle is intended for, I have plenty of time to properly don hearing protection.

A person should have hearing protection anytime any firearm is fired, no matter if braked or not. Noise canceling ear buds can work for this.

Chris

BigRutt

Lil-Rokslider

Yeah I totally understand I have been shooting my 300wm with a brake since 15. Add a lot of other stupid shooting in there and starting to see signs of tinnitus. But I just got my first can and from here on out it will be on all my guns. The brake is a whole different beast then a can. I have better follow up with my brake but the can is super quiet comparatively.

I use Walker noise cancelling headphones.....the NC ear buds cant stop the impulses from entering the ear canal thru the bone/flesh around the ear canal areas.....and it makes a big difference over time. If you are recoil sensitive and still want a 300 mag but dont want a brake or suppressor make sure its heavy enough to absorb some of the recoil...a 9 pound ready to hunt rifle is a heck of a lot better than one at 7 pounds.

^^this is why I have a suppressor..had a 7mag with a break loved shooting it at the range with EP's. First deer I shot with it unfortunately wasn't going to give me enough time to get the plugs in...I pulled the trigger and literally thought to my self WTF just happened..I can only imagine what I was feeling compared to being suckered punched by Mike Tyson.
I told my self right then..never again!! Did a Form 1 and built my first suppressor and never looked back.

I had the chance to pick up the 300 prc or the 300wm. I went with the 300wm strictly because of availablity of reloading supplies and cases and also it is my understanding that the PRC is designed around the larger 200+ grain lower drag bullets and I don't intend to ever go above 200, so stuck with the 300wm. That said, this time of the year it seems like 300wm is even hard to find. I picked up a few boxes of 150 grain stuff just to have something to shoot. Got it out the first time yesterday with that and it shot really well. It is a reasonably light rifle with scope at 8.5 or so lbs and even with a brake and smaller bullets it definitely has way more recoil than my smaller caliber/cartridge rifles(including my '06). Will take a bit of getting used to. Might have to investigate the suppressor idea also.

Last edited: