Help understanding what PRC and Rum mean???

williaada

WKR
Can someone please explain what the difference is between a 300PRC, 300Rum, and 300 WinMag.? I am trying to decide what one to buy, but am having a hard time understanding the differences in calibers. Thanks

SDHNTR

WKR
I don’t mean offense, but if you have to ask, you probably don’t have the experience to shoot any one of them well. Those are all heavy recoiling cartridges. You may want to start smaller and see how you handle recoil first. Don’t succumb to the “I need a big ass gun” syndrome. You don’t, and can still be highly effective.

OP
W

williaada

WKR
No offense taken. I have grown up shooting and have used a number of different caliber rifles to practice and harvest game. Up to this point I have used what I would consider to be very common calibers 30.06, .270, .308, and even a .300 win mag (.300 am did nothing for me). I was asking more because I am not familiar with the magnum cartridges. You are spot on about not needing a big bullet, and focus more on placing the bullet in the proper location.
I don’t mean offense, but if you have to ask, you probably don’t have the experience to shoot any one of them well. Those are all heavy recoiling cartridges. You may want to start smaller and see how you handle recoil first. Don’t succumb to the “I need a big ass gun” syndrome. You don’t, and can still be highly effective.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
a36d6c82830988d6ddb2b9be8effa277.jpg

From left to right .300 PRC, .30 Nosler, .300 RUM, .300 Terminator.

300 PRC, 300 win are very similar in the speed department. Both will have a great supply of factory ammo. The 30 Nosler will give you a little more if you want to reload. The RUM will give you about 100 plus FPS over the other two but cost you about 12-15 more grains of powder to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Brendan

WKR
Up to this point I have used what I would consider to be very common calibers 30.06, .270, .308, and even a .300 win mag (.300 am did nothing for me).

Just so you understand the nomenclature: .30-06 isn't a caliber, it's a cartridge (The ".30-06 Springfield" shoots a .308 Caliber Bullet, and was Introduced in 1906). It shoots a .308 caliber just like the .308 Winchester, .300 WSM, .300 Winchester Magnum, .300 PRC, .30 Nosler, .300 RUM, .300 Terminator (and more) meaning that all of those cartridges can shoot the exact same bullets (within reason anyways) with different size brass, using different amounts of powder, shooting the bullets at different speeds, and making different amounts of recoil.

What one you choose should be more based on what game you're shooting, at what range, and how heavy you want your rifle to be. (And, then things like your experience level, whether you'll be reloading, cost and availability of ammo)

For example, if you're shooting 400-500 yards and under with a lighter mountain rifle, there's pretty much zero reason whatsoever to go with any of the magnum cartridges. .308 or .30-06 and be done with it, unless you just want to tell everyone you have a big gun.

SDHNTR

WKR
No offense taken. I have grown up shooting and have used a number of different caliber rifles to practice and harvest game. Up to this point I have used what I would consider to be very common calibers 30.06, .270, .308, and even a .300 win mag (.300 am did nothing for me). I was asking more because I am not familiar with the magnum cartridges. You are spot on about not needing a big bullet, and focus more on placing the bullet in the proper location.
As mentioned, it’s not entirely about “needing a big bullet”. 3 of those CARTRIDGES you mentioned can all shoot the same bullet, as they are the same CALIBER. Bullet/caliber/diameter is only one component. The bigger issue is the amount of powder behind that bullet. There’s a trade off to all these choices.

Or, let me cut to the chase... buy a 30-06 and go on your merry way, hunting anything in the lower 48 with confidence.

elkguide

WKR
Each of those cartridges will do what you are asking.... taking an elk at long range. The .300 Win Mag is the oldest with the PRC being the new kid on the block. Being a .30 caliber fan boy I would be comfortable with any of them. You sound like you are new to shooting a larger caliber rifle. In the same rifle, recoil will be lightest in the .300 WM, followed by the PRC and then the RUM. I am comfortable shooting the WM or the PRC without a brake, (PRC is pushing the end of my tolerance) but a RUM NEEDS a brake. I've shot them without a brake and it definitely needs a tougher man than me to be comfortable shooting one. I've shot elk with the WM. Last fall I used a RUM.

Even though I have many rifles in 4 of the different .30 calibers,
when I head to the elk hills, 9 out of 10 times, I grab a .300 Win Mag.

rootacres

WKR
PRC = Precision Rifle Cartridge (Hornady)
RUM = Remington Ultra Magnum
Win Mag = Winchester Magnum

Each company has come with their wiz bang magnum. They are marginally different from one another. The win mag has been around for a long time with good ammo availability. The other two not as much. The PRC and RUM will have slightly higher velocities than the win mag with the same projectile. All three will mess anything in North America up.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Welcome to Rokslide, lots of opinions, do some research and if you want a Big Gun, buy it and do some shooting. Nothing wrong with a big gun just has a little more recoil. Check out bullet cost and availability, but buy what you want.

BigRutt

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead. But Kind of wondering about these calibers as well. I have shot all the old ones and owned a lot too. Currently have a 300wm 300h&h 338 wm. Kind of getting bored with them and more into shooting targets and long range. Also getting reloading under my belt. The noslers 28, 30, and 33 have been catching my eye. But the PRC is really intriguing to me. I want to build a 30 cal gun and be done. I don't have any custom rifles per say. I've bought some old guns that have after market barrels on old actions like the 338wm. They are fun and accurate but I want to build something that i had input on.

Thoughts on 300 prc vs 300rum and does the 28 nosler, 30 nosler, 33 nosler hold a torch in this conversation? I am all open to other calibers as well.

I am more of a conventional type of hunter shooter, If you plan on re-loading I would stick with the 300 win. mag, especially now with the crunch on loading supplies especially brass. My .300 gets the job done and done well out too 600 yards on game, Old school is not a bad thing.