Help us save our Hunting!!

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
JP100, how do you feel about this?

Stop the Tahr Cull - NZ National Party

I posted on facebook earlier

The opposition party obviously are behind this, for a number of reasons. Huge group of voters, and massive economical implications to our country if this goes through.
They have been very good to deal with so far.

The woman who is in charge of this control, if from the Green Party, they received 6% votes, 94% of us dont want her there.
The current government is 3 parties, which were needed to combine to beat National.

This is what happens when 3 loosing parties win an election, everyone one in the country ends up loosing

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
We have just got a wee video out about this issue, the guys at Pace Brothers and Modern Huntsman have pulled this forward with the impending government operations

Check it out here

YouTube

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
This is what happens when 3 loosing parties win an election, everyone one in the country ends up loosing

Similar to our story here in BC. Two losing parties (NDP & Green) allied to toss the Liberals.....then they closed the grizzly hunt.

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
Similar to our story here in BC. Two losing parties (NDP & Green) allied to toss the Liberals.....then they closed the grizzly hunt.
Two loosers dont make a winner.

We have postponed our cull for the short term.
We have orderd the minister to court and we have all their ammunition tied up. Haha they have no bullets even if they wanted to start.
Pretty impressed with our NZ importers, none will supply the Government on what is a half a million dollar order

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thunder head

Lil-Rokslider
This is great news. Hopefully NZ. can come to a more sensible solution.

You know it occurred to me last night. Has it ever dawned on these Greenies that they themselves are an invasive species?

Id like to see the look on her face when asked that question.

Last edited:

tuffcity

WKR
Oh the joy of a proportional representation electoral system... similar to what BC is pushing for. It will be a constant battle for hunters in the province if that happens.

JP: you and your mates keep up the good fight!

RC (former BC resident hunter)

The NZ thought towards mammals is unique. There isn’t anything like it in the US, and it won’t fit into anything you will really understand.

Its about like this with a portion of their government and population- “every species that was introduced is a pest that should be eliminated at all costs”. That’s it. There isn’t much anti-hunting, “save the animals”, “it would be better without people”, etc nonsense that we deal with.

Literally people want to exterminate them because they aren’t from there.

Do they have the same sentiment towards brown and rainbow trout, which were also introduced?

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
Do they have the same sentiment towards brown and rainbow trout, which were also introduced?
Thats an interesting comparison. Trout/Salmon have always been considered 'game fish' and we have a season with licenses and regulations the same as anywhere else.

All our game had their game status removed long ago and are considered 'wild animals' which is more or less a pest status. The goverment has always said if it was feasible to eradicate them it would seek that path.

This current conservation minister is seking to remove trout/salmon from their game fish status more or less, so that our department can remove them from any waterway with out consultation with anyone else.

If we allow her to get her way she will destroy all hunting and fishing

Last edited:

ElkElkGoose

Lil-Rokslider
Mmmm...I'm not big on introduced non natives. I'm sure I wouldn't like your "Conservation Chancellor" but I find even the decision to stick moose in CO questionable.

I tend to lean towards being a conservationist even when something is taken away from me.

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
Mmmm...I'm not big on introduced non natives. I'm sure I wouldn't like your "Conservation Chancellor" but I find even the decision to stick moose in CO questionable.

I tend to lean towards being a conservationist even when something is taken away from me.

Its a very unique case here in NZ, we have no native mammals(except small bats and seals/whales) so for us we have always been used to non-natives.
Before white man came to NZ a huge number of species were made extinct, and since white man arrived even more.

Sadly we cannot turn back the clock, removing the non-natives will not make the natives re-appear. Despite how hard some Greenies try thats simply not how it works.

There are a few species we could do with out, but a large number of introduced animals here either fit the place of an extinct species, or can co-exist in some form with our natives.

Humans change the entire ecosystem as soon as we step foot into it, you cant turn back the clock, we can only work with what we have.

ElkElkGoose

Lil-Rokslider
Its a very unique case here in NZ, we have no native mammals(except small bats and seals/whales) so for us we have always been used to non-natives.
Before white man came to NZ a huge number of species were made extinct, and since white man arrived even more.

Sadly we cannot turn back the clock, removing the non-natives will not make the natives re-appear. Despite how hard some Greenies try thats simply not how it works.

There are a few species we could do with out, but a large number of introduced animals here either fit the place of an extinct species, or can co-exist in some form with our natives.

Humans change the entire ecosystem as soon as we step foot into it, you cant turn back the clock, we can only work with what we have.

I'm seeing that in the Helocene era the only mammal made extinct was a bat. All the others seem to be birds, granted some very large ones :) It doesn't look like the New Zealand ecosystem had any large mammals in any recent history. Introducing large non native mammals can have a lot of consequences to smaller species. A good example of this is the overpopulation of elk in Rocky Mountain National Park. Their browsing activity drastically reduces habitat of a mired of birds, small mammals, etc. I know its not as glamourous as hunting tahr but as I see it we cant be selective conservationists choosing on e species over the whole because we can hunt it.

But maybe it has no impact at all, but I cant think of an example of an invasive species being introduced anywhere in the world accidently or intentionally that has not had unintended consequences. That in itself gives me pause.

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
I'm seeing that in the Helocene era the only mammal made extinct was a bat. All the others seem to be birds, granted some very large ones :) It doesn't look like the New Zealand ecosystem had any large mammals in any recent history. Introducing large non native mammals can have a lot of consequences to smaller species. A good example of this is the overpopulation of elk in Rocky Mountain National Park. Their browsing activity drastically reduces habitat of a mired of birds, small mammals, etc. I know its not as glamourous as hunting tahr but as I see it we cant be selective conservationists choosing on e species over the whole because we can hunt it.

But maybe it has no impact at all, but I cant think of an example of an invasive species being introduced anywhere in the world accidently or intentionally that has not had unintended consequences. That in itself gives me pause.

Yep, NZ is I think one of the largest land masses with no native mammals(except maybe Antarctica).
The introduction of browsing/grazing mammals here does not compete with any native animal, and there is no evidence to show they have had any negative impact on any native animal.
alot of our vegetation has evolved to deal with some browsing/grazing pressure, we have lots of plants with spines/spikes and one of the most poisonous plants in the world, granted these plants are adapted to bird browsing, not mammals with teeth.

I agree, you cannot introduce an animal with out causing some damage/consequence, but removing those introduced species does not necessarily reverse that damage.
We cannot return NZ to what it was, its far beyond that. I think we have lost over 50% of our native species, many long before white man arrived.

We do not want hundreds of thousands of introduced animals, but a few, in a low density in a well managed population can benefit our countries economy, culture, history and health of a large part of the population.

should we remove all our farm animals? They are introduced 'pests' just the same. This may benefit the environment, but would destroy our economy.

There has to be a balance

kad11

WKR
JP100,

Any update on the cull status? A couple news articles I saw made it sound like a compromise was made and a smaller scale cull began in mid-October 2018.

How's the public land tahr population now?

Anything we can do to help (for those of us hearing about this a couple months too late)?

Thanks

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
JP100,

Any update on the cull status? A couple news articles I saw made it sound like a compromise was made and a smaller scale cull began in mid-October 2018.

How's the public land tahr population now?

Anything we can do to help (for those of us hearing about this a couple months too late)?

Thanks
Hey Mate.
Well as of now nothing drastic jas happened.
The first culling trip sadly ended in a horrible helicopter crash killing 2 DoC staff and the pilot.
This combined with the massive pressure from the hunting community made the minister stall her plans. No NZ distribution would supply them with ammunition aswell.

Right now the Tahr population is more or less unchanged.

Our Tahr foundation and the DoC are in some sort of limbo where no one really knows what to do.

There does need to be some form of better control, but the minister is unwilling to give the power to hunting groups, but at the same time faces massive backlash is she pushes DoC into full scale control.

Our Department of conservation that manages pur public land is under alot of pressure and most of the general public lost all confidence in them. Not just with the Tahr issue, but many other failures they have made in the last couple of years.