Help with 3rd axis adjustment

Luked

WKR
Have a Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL double stack. I havent ever really messed much with the 3rd axis stuff. I understand the concept but just not really familiar with it.
So i put the bow in the vise here at home and everything was level and plumb. Sight level was good.
So i took and rocked the bow back to aim it up basicly and adusted the 3rd axis to be level. Now when shooting on flat ground at the house everything past 20 yards is hitting way left. So i am assuming i did something wrong.
Do you have to draw the bow to full draw to set the 3rd axis? I have heard of guys using a plumb bob and drawing the bow back and aiming up the cord the plumb bob is on to check for 3rd axis level. Anyone have any advise?

I'm not understanding how you rocked the bow back and adjusted?

I always use a plumb line, hamskea tool at full draw for 3rd axis. Then check by shooting. If shooting it shows I need to tweak it I do that, the tools aren't absolute.

If everything was actually set correctly, the third axis shouldn't effect anything shooting level even if it's maxed one way or another.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
I had the bow clamped in the vise and rocked it backwards while still clamped in the vise.

Bow should be at full draw
Use plumb bob and line all your pins up on the string. Adjust 3rd axis so it sits level.
Bow should be at significant angle, like 30 to 45 degrees.

Lots of youtube stuff on it.

BigSky

WKR
Ya, you pretty much need to be holding, drawing and aiming your bow at pretty much a 45 degree angle for proper 3rd axis adjustment. That's my opinion anyway.

NGK808

FNG
Agree with the above, except that your third axis will affect your aim at longer distances, especially if you're using fixed pins. With pins, you have to increase the angle of your bow upward for farther distances. Your third axis will have a more pronounced affect the farther the distance. Same is true with a slider since the sight housing gets lower for longer distances. You adjust by slightly angling the bow higher and higher to line up the peep.

Marble

WKR
It sounds to me like the second axis is off. After it's adjusted you'll need to do the 3rd again.

And i agree 3rd needs to be done at full draw at angle. But not everyone has the stuff to do that. You can get it closer and then just go out and shoot it in.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

KBC

WKR
I set mine the same way, angled up and down in the bow vice. That will get you close but then you need to check it at full draw.

JoeDirt

WKR
I have an 90 degree angle block, ill mount my sight to the block on a level table. This gets it close, you can fine tune with the Hamskea or check later by shooting your bow at a 45 deg angle.