Help with a couple Kifaru Nomad setups

Scoot

WKR
I've got an original Kifaru Nomad on a Bikini frame (I know... I'm so old school!) with a Guide Lid and a Grab-it. I love this setup, but have a couple of things about it that I can't figure out how to do in a way that works right for me. Here are the three basic scenarios that I use this pack: 1) bag packed and loaded with a bunch of stuff (gear, meat, whatever), 2) pack essentially empty (other than kill kit, water, snacks), 3) pack essentially empty for day hunting, but with my bow attached to it.

Scenario 1 is just about perfect in every way for me. I can lock things down well and I really love how this set up works.

Scenario 2 and 3 are the problems. Further, these two setups are how I have my pack most of the time, so I'm a little frustrated with this issue. When my pack is essentially empty (scenario 2), I connect my guide lid to my grab-it to cinch everything up from top to bottom. However, this doesn't work- the straps cinch up all the way possible, but the lid and grab-it don't pull tight down against the pack. There's slop in it and it flops up/down/side to side due to this. This really bugs me.

When I'm hauling my bow (scenario 3) I am unable to reasonably put the bottom cam in the grab-it and have that cam at roughly the height of the bottom of the pack. I would like this so I can sit down without taking my pack off and/or to protect my bottom cam in case I fall/slip.

Maybe I have my grab-it or my guide lid on wrong? Maybe it simply won't work? I'm open to any and all suggestions...

I can provide some pics if that would be helpful too. I may not be able to respond for a couple days, but I will be back to this thread!
Thanks in advance for any help I may get.
Scott

CodyB

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same setup except no guide lid that I have used for years. Typically I keep the grab it under the vertical pockets of the Nomad. I also use a long pocket on the bottom of the Nomad which fits perfectly in that empty space for odds and ends. These pockets have been discontinued for awhile but might able to find one used.

Hoghead

WKR
Try a Sherman pocket instead of the grab it it is adjustable and if you flip it over it has a pocket for a rifle/bow. With the straps you could connect higher to move your bow up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
Scoot

Scoot

WKR
Thanks for the replies fellas. Hog it looks to me i could attach the grabit as high as the Sherman, couldn't I? Not sure that'll fix my "low bow problem". But... maybe I'm missing something there.

Cody I think my guide lid and how I attach it is part of the problem. Do you get everything snugged down well when running empty?

TripleJ

WKR
I have the same basic setup as you, a nomad, bikini frame, and grab it with the a guide lid. I added a Sherman pocket this year and it feels more versatile to me with that addition. With the grab it under the wings, the nomad on top of that and the guide lid locking everything down it seems to work quite well. I am able to easily strap my bow or extra clothes under the Sherman pocket when I am hunting without having to open up the wings. The 1st pic is running mostly empty. The 2nd one is a elk hind and front quarter in the grab it and cinched down with every thing else. Maybe someday I’ll upgrade but what you have is paid for and seems to work pretty well.
89EE25AF-E78A-45FC-8ACF-B21BC7114C3E.jpeg612080AA-1B1B-4816-BDF9-4B0316A3EC7B.jpeg

OP
Scoot

Scoot

WKR
Thanks again for more info. TripleJ, does the Sherman pocket offer a better way to attach the bow higher? Also in that set up, what/where are you buckling the lid's 2 straps into? I'd definitely consider a Sherman, but I don't need more CCs. But if it offers an a avantage over the grabit in other ways, I'm all ears. Will it attach high enough to keep the bottom cam of my bow above the bottom of the pack?

Gobbler

FNG
Pics would probably help because you mention connecting your grab it to the guide lid. Not sure that will ever make sense. The guide lid can be attached at the top and bottom of the frame either over or under the Nomad wings and be cinched down solid. And same with the grab it, it should be attached to the frame and can be cinched tight either way. Personally I always carry my bow but you can use the grab it with that setup without any slop. Add some pics and you’ll get some better suggestions.

OP
Scoot

Scoot

WKR
The guide lid can be attached at the top and bottom of the frame either over or under the Nomad wings and be cinched down solid. And same with the grab it, it should be attached to the frame and can be cinched tight either way.

Thanks for the reply, Gobbler. If I can attach my lid's buckles to the bottom of the frame and the grab it to buckles at the top of the frame, that would certainly take care of my problem. I don't think I have spots to do that though. But... I fully admit I may be missing something that would provide an easy fix. I'll take a look tonight (if I have time tonight-- I have work until 5, drive an hour, then kids' basketball games until later) and report back. If I fail to figure out how to accomplish what you are saying above, I'll post some pics. I'm sure you're right-- pics would help get good feedback on this.

Thanks again!

TripleJ

WKR
Thanks again for more info. TripleJ, does the Sherman pocket offer a better way to attach the bow higher? Also in that set up, what/where are you buckling the lid's 2 straps into? I'd definitely consider a Sherman, but I don't need more CCs. But if it offers an a avantage over the grabit in other ways, I'm all ears. Will it attach high enough to keep the bottom cam of my bow above the bottom of the pack?
It will hold the bottom cam that high if you like. You will have to loosen the top of the guide lid and put the top cam/limb up through the gap between the lid and frame. Also, if you're on a wide enough trail you can quickly put the bow in sideways beneath the Sherman pocket and it's rock solid. Once the sherman pocket is attached and buckled to the top of the frame, the guide lid buckles attach to the bottom of the frame in their normal position and lock everything in.

OP
Scoot

Scoot

WKR
Thanks for the replies, fellas. My work and our kids' basketball schedules are whooping my butt! I'll try get some pics posted ASAP.

When I had your setup, I used the vertical straps located on the inside of the Nomad (ones that you used to lash a load to) and attached them to my guide lid. Then I added a female buckle to each side loop on the frame (same loop as attaching the Nomad to) so I was able to tighten the grab it. Then your bow rests on the outside of the guide lid and the grab it keeps it secure and doesn't flop around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Shraggs

WKR
Have same setup as you except long hunter lid. I always use grab it to secure lid empty or full. I also have long pocket on bottom. I also have an original large side pocket on the back panel and put my bladder in there along with anything heavy. I actually want some volume there. All my gear for day hunting is in two big wings. I pack loose so they are full. Still only 20 lbs with water food for day. Thus gives a bit of lift and cushion for my bow to lay on with grab it holding it. I also have a strap at top of frame that I wrap the top end of bow and tight to other side for stability. Any camp or neat goes in the hanging center camp bag, so I don’t alter my day set up.

Ironically, maybe you need more stuff in the big tubes. One puffy can loosely fill one side. Rain gear gloves first aid filter etc in other. But a center bladder and stuff under the wings will get the wings to not, not lay flat to frame. This helps for me carrying bow.

idk, worked for me. But I’ve switched bags since then.

bozeman

WKR
I had this setup around 5 years ago and there is a thread (search function) that had around 5 pages of info/pics on the different setups people were using. The key for a tight fit (as mentioned) is the grab it under the wings when not in use hauling and the guide lid cinched tight on the outside of all of it........

CodyB

Lil-Rokslider
Here is how I have my grab it on the original nomad. It’s under the wings of the nomad the majority of the time and when I need to put something large like quarters it’s easy to let out some of the straps and adjust as needed.

Attachments

• F83411A2-E0F4-4AF7-80BA-32EFF5A70E01.jpeg
    F83411A2-E0F4-4AF7-80BA-32EFF5A70E01.jpeg
    364.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 264E16C0-13CA-460B-B6D5-9C5F112C6D37.jpeg
    264E16C0-13CA-460B-B6D5-9C5F112C6D37.jpeg
    442.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 749D685E-2E01-40A0-A976-C16624AA370F.jpeg
    749D685E-2E01-40A0-A976-C16624AA370F.jpeg
    316.7 KB · Views: 20
OP
Scoot

Scoot

WKR
Thanks for the help with this, folks! I finally had a chance to fiddle with my pack this weekend and realized the piece that I was not getting. Thanks to the pics, posts, and PMs, I was able to get it the way I wanted. It's nice and snug now!
Thanks again!