Help with a new me

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
Well today was the last straw, went out today shed hunting and just all around exploring. Not a hard hike but im beat, feels like I walked for 20 miles and I actually only walked about 4. Its time for me to change my body and lifestyle, so what Im asking for is suggestions. I am going to completely try and change my diet ie no more sodas, no beer, no sweets and such, also need to start training hard. I am going to start running around the neighborhood and up in the hills behing the house, but was also thinking of weight training. I also thought about trying out insanity or p90x. Basically im looking for all around help. Im 25 years old 5'8 and 196 pounds, If I keep going at this rate I dont feel like im going to be able to keep up hunting. Any and all help will be appreciated! Daniel

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Doing any and all those things will help. Sounds like a "Who am I?" moment. I have had a few of those.

There are some extremely knowledgeable fitness and diet guys on here, I am sure they will have some great advice.

Good luck!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Good decision Daniel, you won't regret it.

1)Define your goals and write them down (make sure they are reasonable)

2)If you don't have access to a good club/gym, then those programs are fine IF you can motivate yourself to do them (working out at home is tough for some, easy for others.)

3)Don't overdo it as you get into it, injuries are as bad as poor fitness when it comes to fall.

4) If at all possible, recruit a friend with similiar goals (or hire a pro trainer if feasible), workout together weekly, eat lunch/dinner together weekly. Support is huge when it comes to change.

5)If you haven't checked out the "diet" thread, go for it. It's long but the heart of the thread is contained on first page and posts 10,28,40,87,152 and it will continue.

6) Clean out your kitchen of the crap you mentioned and replace it with good choices and learn to cook. You'll be surprised at how much less crap you'll eat if it's not there AND you have good stuff in place of it.

Best of luck! Keep us posted.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Robby's list is really good. I'll add another important one. Go to the thread titled DIET, read it all. Then read it again and focus on what Robby has stated. 98% of the crowd and make huge gains by following this information.

a3dhunter

WKR
I will add a little here, after having a few of those moments you need to realize that it took a while to put it on and get in the shape your in, it will take a while to come off as well.
Just like with hunting, persevere through the hard times and you will be successful.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congratulations Daniel on making a commitment to feeling better and staying healthy. As everyone else said, the diet thread is a great place to start. I find that having an outside goal or motivation is super helpful to me...I want to get/stay in shape because it means I can hike further/harder/faster and not hate life so much when I am slogging up the mountin during hunting season. Its a lot easier to want to eat right and work out with a tangible purpose in mind, as opposed to general just wanting to be "healthy" (though that's a good reason to do it too!) And while cutting out the junk/processed food and empty calories is important, I would discourage you from absolutes. Most of the time when people have too many foods that are totally "forbidden" they do well for a while, lose some weight, and then fall off the wagon. Besides, life is too short to walk around feeling deprived all the time. With calorie counting there is still room for treats on occasion, but you are accountable. I find i am less likely to have three glasses of wine when i am watching those calories add up, but a single glass here and there doesnt wreck my calorie budget! Even Robby admitted to making room in his life for a Krispy Kreme once in awhile....

(as an aside, there is sadly no Krispy Kreme to be found here in AK, which is probably why the example sticks with me....sometime when someone comes up for a hunting trip, you will have to bring me just one!)

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
a3dhunter, you have identified one of the biggest obstacles we find with our clients. "I'm sick of this weight and I want to lose it now!" That is why the fads are so attractive as they get weight off quickly in the beginning but there is little chance of sustaining them due to the absolutes you must stick to. The lifestyle got the weight on, it's only going to be lifestyle that gets AND keeps it off.

Becca! quite refreshing to me to read your personal experiences- You nailed it perfectly! and is why calorie counting gives people the most freedom in losing weight, even if they lose it slower than the fads.

It's been a few weeks since my last Krispy Kreme, so it's about time. I'll think of you in AK on that first bite.

Last edited:

G Posik

WKR
There is some good words of advice here. Do not think you will wake up 20 lbs lighter one morning (unless you have lippo). You have done step one in the process, that is to admit you need to do something about your health. Now comes a tough step LIFE STYLE change. Robby said it right on, clean out the pantry. Get the junk out of the house, stop drinking soda even the diet drinks. Just by stopping the soda and increasing the water intake you will see results very quickly. Never let yourself get HUNGRY. Once you start and make things a habit it gets easier, not saying it is easy, just easier. Good luck and there is a lot of support here to help you out.

Glenn

tstowater

WKR
Here's my personal experience: October 2010-I was overweight and out of shape. Something needed to change. We all need motivation, the best kind is self-motivation. I made mine to be hunting- both desire to do it and fear of not being able to climb the mountains (this is a problem for flatlanders from Iowa). I had been applying for quality tags in many western states for years and knew that I would draw soon. I started a program with support (a good idea), doesn't make any difference what I used, and worked my way into an exercise program. It does not happen overnight. I use a scale once a week to make me accountable, more than that will drive me crazy. I know when I didn't do a good job. I have sweated enough at the gym to measure it in the gallons. The process of change is not easy. You need to make it attainable and sustainable. Why lose it if you are not going to keep it off. I am not rabid (yet) like some of the others on this site. That may come yet. Set attainable goals and keep bumping them up (ex. I can do another 10lbs.) Unless your motivation is out of sight, you will fail if you can't stand the changes in diet or exercise. My results so far are good, but I am not done. I have dropped 87 lbs and body fat from 32 to 16%. I am still motivated by the same desires to do more. Be motivated but not obsessed (fine line, I'm guessing that I am riding. No one can make you do it, only you. The ultimate question as I see it is: Are you ready to succeed or afraid of failing?? Good luck.

P.S. Drew one of those tags last year-an Nevada elk and had a great hunt. So far this year I have a dall sheep in Alaska and lion in Utah. Hopefully draw something else yet. I now know I can succeed and enjoy these hunts and not be afraid of failing.

Duk Dog

Lil-Rokslider
Plenty of great advice. I found myself in similar shoes in 2009 - after coming to the realization of how out of shape I was on a hunt in the mountains in 2007. I'm about the same height as you, and was about the same weight when I started. I've managed to drop and keep off 15 pounds, although my degree of "fit" has varied up and down the past few years. Some of the advice above that rang true for me was 1) find a goal or target to work towards, and 2) although there may be a number of things you want to change, take them one step at a time and don't overwhelm yourself in the beginning. Some of the more simple things for me were to cut pop out of my diet, drink a pile of water, try not to eat too late at night, eat multiple small meals/snacks throughout the day, and lastly get some daily/regular exercise for a minimum of an hour. When I first joined the gym I didn't have a clue what I was doing and the investment in a trainer was money well spent. It is tough to get into a fitness routine, but once you get over that hump it becomes something that becomes easier and easier to do.
Good luck in your quest!

Set some goals as everyone else has said. I know it seems hard at first but you can get used to a good diet with time. Beer=useless carbs, Soda=to damn much sugar. Those are two things that can change a person immensely. Be sure to focus on some long-er term goals as well. It is mostly in a persons head and how commited they want to be to a diet. Ask yourself "do I want to me marginal?". You will soon finding yourself living a more disciplined lifestyle and will probably feel better all around. JMO but it has worked for me...

-Dan

Doj4Whlr

Lil-Rokslider
Daniel- Much has been said already by some very smart people: Robby can no doubt virtual-coach you through your challenge and Becca has certainly added some great pearls of wisdom. When I read your post, I was a bit struck when you mentioned not being able to keep up hunting. Based on that comment alone, I would like to add my perspective. I personally can't imagine not being able to hunt and I do everything within my power to maintain that capability. It has been mentioned here that goal setting is important and who can disagree. I would like to expound on that and add that for me, the over-arching factor is the objective, the end state- the hunt. From there, I set goals and intermediate goals that are designed to get me to my objective. Ultimately, I love life and I want to be part of it for as long as God's willing so I'll do my part to take care of myself- for me, my family, and the hunt.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ultimately, I love life and I want to be part of it for as long as God's willing so I'll do my part to take care of myself- for me, my family, and the hunt.
Well said Doj, and a good perspective for all of us to remember!

herdbull

FNG
Stay determined as things take some time. Don't get frustrated if in a few weeks you haven't seen a huge change. I've seen other people expect life changing results in a month. 6-12 months is probably a better time line.

One thing I tell people all the time is about their food choices outside of the home. You're way ahead of the game if you are the one going to the grocery store. A simple rule/guideline I could offer up is: you can't eat it if you don't put it in your cart at the grocery store. Make smart choices while shopping and avoid vending machines of death.

Congrats on the first steps to a new you.

I'm with herdbull on this. The first couple of weeks are the hardest, you will be sore and tired. The soreness will eventually be less and less. I am a little sore from my workout yesterday(chest workout) and it is a common thing; the sore muscles let me know I worked the muscles out very well and will be stronger the next time I am in the gym. Eventually the gym and working out will become a good habit and a better lifestyle!

trkyslr

WKR
This quote really motivates me and keeps me working hard at getting Into Better shape....
"Should always do something today that makes you better than you were yesterday make yourself better tomorrow than you are today"....

marshrat

FNG
I'm just glad you made the decision to change. Great job. Now, find a program that you can stick with and remain consistent. Read up on the proper nutrition. Nutrition is the hardest part, but it will get easier. You will feel like crap at first, but it will pass. Be consistent and accepting of the small changes.

I started Jan. 1, and I am down 41 pounds to date. It has been tough even after these past few months. This is the most that I have stuck to a "diet" since EVER. My previous record before discovering Freschetta's Pizza was six weeks. Today, as a testament to how far I've come: I turned down pizza at a teacher's meeting. I also realized that I still had my addiction when I passed the giant bags of chocolate at Walmart, and I smelled the chocolate from over 50 ft away. That is a true story. My cravings have not gone away, but my desire to succeed and seeing my success has make my resistance stronger. I want to accomplish something more than polishing off a bag of PB M&Ms. For me, food is as addicting as any other illicit drug, and I treated it that way for over a decade. With all addictions, it is painful, you will have withdrawal, you will be weak, and you will fail sometimes. The key is to push through, and focus on that goal. Build off of the small successes (eating a healthy meal instead of pulling into McD's or taking a walk instead of watching TV). It will happen, and give it time. I'm still learning that one myself. Good luck, and let me know if you need any help or motivation.

huntndad

FNG
I'm no fitness expert, but I think one of the most important things is to keep goals and plans realistic. Is it something that can work with your lifestyle or that you can alter your lifestyle to make work? For me, I'd love to wake up every morning at 4 am and go to the gym and eat nothing but organic home cooked meals, but this isn't realistic. With kids in sports all year round, full time job, birthday parties, bbq's, etc., it's very difficult to find time or avoid eating junk. I just try to take care of what I can. Here is my diet/work out plan:
1) Try to exercise every day (weights, eliptical, hike, run, etc.) I can almost always find 30 minutes. Even if it's watching a game while running on the eliptical, I try to make it into a quality workout. Whenever my schedule allows, increase the workout.
2) Be smart at the grocery store. If you have it in your house, you'll probably eat it. I try not to buy soda, chips, or beer. Baby carrots are my go to snack.
3) Eat one cheeseburger instead of two! We don't always eat perfectly at our house, and it's very difficult for me to just ignore the food I love. However, if I pile my plate with healthy veggies and such, and only eat a couple pieces of pizza, I feel ok about it.