Help with Ankles

Bunkin

FNG
Hi guys, I have a perpetual problem of rolling my ankles when descending on a hike or hunt. Usually I just walk it off, but as I am looking at doing longer back country hunts I'm realizing I should look into seeing if there is something I should be doing to remedy the problem. I have not necessarily found it to be boot specific. I have found its more exaggerated when I am more tired/exhausted at the end of a trip. It usually happens on a maintained trail with un even rocks.

I currently wear Asolo Fugitive GTX boots (pictured below) and they are about worn out, so this would be a good time to try to find a new boot that may perhaps work better for this than others.

I was discussing this situation with my brother recently and mentioned that I thought I may try a higher cut boot to address more ankle support, but he mentioned that he had learned from a sports physical therapist that lower cut boots with an ankle brace may be better but its been years since that conversation.

Anyone have experience in this area?

WOBK.jpg

I had rolled ankles here and there but nothing too bad except a stretch where I just kept rolling them and had a bad sprain at 15 or 16. For 2-3 months it was a real issue for me.

I tried braces, different shoes, all kinds of things. Those are just bandaids in my opinion and not failsafes. I worked hard with our athletic trainers and did a bunch of ankle strengthening exercises. It solved the problem and now I can wear whatever shoes and not really worry about it. I even wear low tops playing basketball. I’m not an md but my opinion and what I’ve been told is focus on ankle strengthening and resolving the issue. I think a physical therapist could be real helpful where you likely wouldn’t have an athletic training staff at your disposal.

Last edited:

aroyak

FNG
I see this is an old post, and my first post but I'll chime-in. Based on my experience I completely agree with @idahohikker on this one. After rolling my ankles in sports, and suffering a sever ankle sprain packing a goat out in Kodiak, left me convinced I needed ankle braces and taller boots (I sprained my ankle in my 10" Crispi Briksdals) for my weak ankles. To your actual question about boots, I own the same pair of Asolos, they're great boots but I don't feel they're supportive enough to pack an animal out of the backcountry. And even with a taller stiffer boot I still sustained an ankle sprain under heavy weight.

I sought out a sports physical therapist for the 2020 Fall season and it changed my life and outlook on my "weak ankles". I'm not a physical therapist so please take my experience with a grain of salt.

I thought my sprain in Kodiak was the result of weak ankles and needing taller boots and a brace, in reality my ankles were prone to rolling because I had weak hip abductors and glutes. After seeing my PT for a month and diligently strengthening the supportive muscles in my legs, addressed my ankle issues. I hike with a weighted pack throughout the Summer and was surprised to learn that my glutes/hips were underdeveloped compared to my quads and hip flexors. Making these small changes completely changed my balance and endurance and allowed me to pack out 2 animals solo this year.

I also highly recommend using trekking poles.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

LukiLanda

FNG
Hi guys, I have a perpetual problem of rolling my ankles when descending on a hike or hunt. Usually I just walk it off, but as I am looking at doing longer back country hunts I'm realizing I should look into seeing if there is something I should be doing to remedy the problem. I have not necessarily found it to be boot specific. I have found its more exaggerated when I am more tired/exhausted at the end of a trip. It usually happens on a maintained trail with un even rocks.

I currently wear Asolo Fugitive GTX boots (pictured below) and they are about worn out, so this would be a good time to try to find a new boot that may perhaps work better for this than others.

I was discussing this situation with my brother recently and mentioned that I thought I may try a higher cut boot to address more ankle support, but he mentioned that he had learned from a sports physical therapist that lower cut boots with an ankle brace may be better but its been years since that conversation.

Anyone have experience in this area?

WOBK.jpg
I have the exact same issues. Did you find a solution? Boots?